International Aikido Federation
International Aikido Federation (International Aikido Federation) is a world governing body for the sport of Aikido.
The International Aikido Federation is a primary global aikido organisation. It is an umbrella organisation with member organisations from more than 40 nations (for example, the All-Japan Aikido Federation is one member). All members must be recognised by the Hombu, so the IAF exclusively represents the Aikikai school. The IAF is a nominally democratic organisation but special roles are given to the Doshu and a council of senior instructors, to safeguard the "technical and moral" integrity of aikido. The IAF currently admits only one member organisation per country and gives each such member equal vote (it was modeled on the UN; it does not necessarily give every Aikikai student equal representation).
The IAF demonstrates aikido at the World Games, and represents aikido to the globe. The IAF also organises International Aikido Congresses every four years, facilitating direct training between aikido students of different countries, sharing instruction by the world's most senior aikido instructors, and also providing a channel for official communication with the Hombu.
The IAF was formed in 1976. The IAF chair (1996–present) is Peter Goldsbury, who is also a Professor of comparative mythology at Hiroshima. The IAF chair publishes aikido articles at AikiWeb.
The IAF publishes a list of member nations and organisations.
- Guy Bonnefond (1974-1984)
- Giorgio Veneri (1984-1996)
- Peter Goldsbury (1996-2016)
Peter Goldsbury has announced his retirement after the end of his term and he will officially step down following the elections to be held at the next IAF Congress held in September 2016 the city of Takasaki (Gunma Prefecture, Japan) · .
International Aikido Federation Congress
Every four years, the IAF holds a Congress in Japan where delegations from all member countries gather for a week of practice under the direction of numerous high ranked instructors, both Japanese and foreign. Along the seminar are held directing committee meetings as well as elections. The next congress will take place in the city of Takasaki (Gunma) in September 2016.
- "Rules for Membership Applications" (PDF). aikido-international.org. International Aikido Federation.
- Erard, Guillaume (23 January 2016). "Interview with Peter Goldsbury, chairman of the International Aikido Federation - Part 1". GuillaumeErard.com.
- International Aikido Federation official website. Includes list of member organisations, officials, and meeting minutes. Also hosts an article reflecting on IAF history.
- AikiWeb, a fount of aikido information. See the Columns section of the AikiWeb Forums.
- "Member Nations". aikido-international.org. International Aikido Federation.
- Goldsbury, Peter (27 December 2015). "IAF New Year's Greeting by Pr Goldsbury (w/ subtitles)". YouTube. International Aikido Federation.
- Goldsbury, Peter (23 January 2016). "Peter Goldsbury's retirement announcement'". aikido-international.org. International Aikido Federation.
- Erard, Guillaume (23 January 2016). "2016 IAF Congress in Takasaki". takasaki.aikido-international.org. International Aikido Federation.
- "World Combat Games 2013". takasaki.aikido-international.org. International Aikido Federation.