International Air Transport Association
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012)|
|Formation||19 April 1945Havana, Cubain|
|Type||International trade association|
|Headquarters||800, Place Victoria (rue Gauvin), Montreal, Canada|
|approx. 250 airlines (2015)|
DG and CEO
The International Air Transport Association (IATA //) is a trade association of the world’s airlines. These 250 airlines, primarily major carriers, carry approximately 84% of total Available Seat Kilometers air traffic. IATA supports airline activity and helps formulate industry policy and standards. It is headquartered in Montreal, Canada with Executive Offices in Geneva, Switzerland.
IATA was formed in April 1945 in Havana, Cuba. It is the successor to the International Air Traffic Association, which was formed in 1919 at The Hague, Netherlands. At its founding, IATA consisted of 57 airlines from 31 countries. Much of IATA’s early work was technical and it provided input to the newly created International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), which was reflected in the annexes of the Chicago Convention, the international treaty that still governs the conduct of international air transport today.
The Chicago Convention couldn’t resolve the issue of who flies where, however, and this has resulted in the thousands of bilateral air transport agreements in existence today. The benchmark standard for the early bilaterals was the 1946 United States-United Kingdom Bermuda Agreement.
IATA was also charged by the governments with setting a coherent fare structure that avoided cut-throat competition but also looked after the interests of the consumer. The first Traffic Conference was held in 1947 in Rio de Janeiro and reached unanimous agreement on some 400 resolutions.
Aviation grew rapidly over the following decades and IATA’s work duly expanded. It transformed its trade association activities to take account of the new dynamics in aviation, which was seeing increasing demand from the leisure sector. Price flexibility became increasingly important and the United States led the way into deregulation in 1978.
IATA has cemented its position as the voice of the aviation industry in recent years, launching a number of important programs and lobbying governments in the wake of successive crises. Despite its factual influence, the IATA is a trade group with no legislative powers.
Safety is the number one priority for IATA. The main instrument for safety is the IATA Operational Safety Audit (IOSA) and its successor, Enhanced IOSA. IOSA has also been mandated at the state level by several countries. In 2012, aviation posted its safest year ever. The global Western-built jet accident rate (measured in hull losses per million flights of Western-built jets) was 0.20, the equivalent of one accident every 5 million flights. Future improvements will be founded on data sharing with a database fed by a multitude of sources and housed by the Global Safety Information Center. In June 2014 the IATA set up a special panel to study measures to track aircraft in flight in real time. The move was in response to the disappearance without trace of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 on 8 March 2014.
Security has become increasingly important following the September 11 attacks in 2001. Following a series of uncoordinated rules by different countries, the industry has developed a Checkpoint of the Future, which is based on risk assessment and passenger differentiation.
Simplifying the Business
Simplifying the Business was launched in 2004. This initiative has introduced a number of crucial concepts to passenger travel, including the electronic ticket and the bar coded boarding pass. Many other innovations are being established as part of the Fast Travel initiative, including a range of self-service baggage options.
A new program that has drawn plenty of interest is New Distribution Capability. This will replace the old EDIFACT messaging standard that is still the basis of the global distribution system /travel agent channel and replace it with an XML standard. This will enable the same choices to be offered to high street travel shoppers as are offered to those who book directly through airline websites. A filing with the US Department of Transportation brought over 400 comments.
IATA members and all industry stakeholders have agreed to three sequential environmental goals:
- An average improvement in fuel efficiency of 1.5% per annum from 2009 through 2020
- A cap on net carbon emissions from aviation from 2020 (carbon-neutral growth)
- A 50% reduction in net aviation carbon emissions by 2050 relative to 2005 levels.
The resolution provides governments with a set of principles on how governments could:
- Establish procedures for a single market-based measure (MBM)
- Integrate a single MBM as part of an overall package of measures to achieve CNG2020
IATA member airlines agreed that a single mandatory carbon offsetting scheme would be the simplest and most effective option for an MBM.
IATA provides consulting and training services in many areas crucial to aviation.
Travel Agent accreditation is available for travel professionals. Full accreditation allows agents to sell tickets on behalf of all IATA member airlines.
Cargo Agent accreditation is a similar program.
IATA also runs the Billing and Settlement Plan, which is a $300 billion-plus financial system that looks after airline money.
And it provides a number of business intelligence publications and services.
Training covers all aspects of aviation and ranges from beginner courses through to senior management courses.
The following is a list of IATA's strategic partners:
- 3M Company
- A J Walter Aviation Limited
- Abacus International Pte Ltd
- Accelya Kale
- Accenture LLP
- Accounting Centre of China Aviation
- ACL Airshop
- ACS Consolidated Group Pty Ltd
- Acumen Aviation
- ADNOC Distribution
- Advanced Composite Structures, LLC
- Aerofuels Overseas Limited
- AeroMASH-Aviation Security JSC
- Aeronautical Research Center
- Aeropuertos y Servicios Auxiliares
- AFS Aviation Fuel Services GmbH
- AGENTIL SA
- Air BP Limited
- Air Lease Corporation
- Air Management International
- Air Total
- Aircastle Limited
- Aircraft Service International Group (ASIG)
- Aireon LLC
- Airfacts Inc.
- Airpas Aviation AG
- Airplane-Equipment & Services GmbH
- Airport College International Ltd.
- Air-Transport IT Services, Inc.
- Alfons Haar Maschinenbau GmbH & Co.KG
- Alha Airport S.p.A.
- Aljac Fuelling Component Limited
- Allied Aviation Services
- Alpha Star Aviation Services
- Amadeus IT Group, S.A.
- Amedeo Limited
- American General Supplies, Inc.
- AMS Systems Engineering Ltd.
- Amsafe Bridport
- Aon Rus - Insurance Brokers LLC
- Argus Media Ltd
- ARINC Incorporated
- Arowana Consulting Ltd
- Arrow Petroluem
- ASCON OIL COMPANY LIMITED
- Associated Energy Group LLC
- Atlantic FuelEx
- Atmos International Limited
- Aurora Aviation SA
- AvFinity LLC
- AvFuel Corporation
- Aviation Capital Group
- Aviation Co-ordination Services (Pty) Ltd
- Aviation Fuel Solutions International A.F.S.I. Inc
- Aviation Quality Services GmbH
- Aviation Security Company Limited (Hong Kong) (AVSECO (HK))
- Aviation Services (Ireland) Limited
- Aviation Services Management Ltd.
- Aviatrans International Limited
- AXESS International Network, Inc.
- Axion Energy Argentina S.R.L.
- Azzurra Ground Handling Services Ltd
- Bag2Go GmbH
- BagDrop systems BV
- Bags, Inc.
- Barich, Inc.
- Bartsch International GmbH
- BASF SE
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd.
- BISA Technologies (Hong Kong) Limited
- BOC Aviation Pte. Ltd.
- Boeing Company, The
- Bombardier Aerospace
- Braathens IT Solutions AS
- Brink’s Incorporated
- British Telecommunications plc
- Brock Solutions, Inc.
- Brussels Airport Company
- Burnham Sterling & Company LLC
- CAE Inc.
- Caltex Australia Petroleum Pty., Ltd.
- Cargo Community Network
- CargoFlash Infotech Pvt. Ltd.
- Cavotec Fladung GmbH
- CEIA S.p.A.
- CellPoint Mobile
- Central Europe Pipeline System (CEPS) Programme
- Certas Energy UK Ltd t/a Gulf Aviation
- CFM International
- CGI Group Inc
- CHAMP Cargosystems S.A.
- Changi Airport Group (Singapore) Pte. Ltd.
- CHEP Aerospace Solutions
- CHINA MINSHENG BANKING CORP., LTD.
- Chu Kong Passenger Transport Co. Ltd
- CIT Aerospace
- CITA Petroleum Limited
- Citibank N.A.
- Cleanserve Integrated Energy Solutions Limited
- CLH Aviacion
- Cofely Services Inc.
- Commport Aerospace Services Ltd
- Compañía Española de Petróleos, S.A. (CEPSA)
- Conidia Bioscience Ltd
- Conoil Plc
- Cosmo Oil Co., Ltd.
- CrimsonLogic Pte. Ltd.
- Curoil N.V
- Custom S.p.A
- Damarel Systems International Ltd.
- DARS (Disabled Aircraft Recovery Solutions)
- Dawi Oil Ltd
- Descartes Systems Group
- Deutsche Bahn
- Deutsche Bank AG
- DGM Support B.V.
- Distributeurs Nationaux S.A. (DINASA)
- DoKaSch GmbH Air Cargo Equipment
- DS Tags
- ECHA Microbiology Ltd.
- EDICOM Group
- eJet Consultants (UK) Ltd
- Embraer S.A.
- EMG Marketing Godo Kaisha
- Emirates National Factory for Plastic Industries LLC (United Security)
- ENI SPA - Refining & Marketing Division
- ENOC Marketing LLC
- Envirotainer AB
- EPIC Aviation, LLC
- Escort LLC
- European Cargo Services B.V.
- Eurostar International Limited
- Evergreen Apple Nigeria
- EveryMundo LLC
- Expedia, Inc.
- ExxonMobil Aviation Intl. Ltd.
- FareCompare LP
- Farelogix Inc.
- Fareportal, Inc.
- FAUDI Aviation GmbH
- Finsecpro Ltd
- First Research Inst. Ministry of Public Security
- FLYHT Aerospace Solutions Ltd
- FORTAS – Worldwise Solutions that Fly
- Forte Oil PLC
- Franke Care System Middle East
- FSM Management Group
- FuelPlus Group
- Fujitsu Frontech Limited
- Fujitsu Limited
- G4S Aviation Services
- Gammon Technical Products, Inc.
- Gate Safe, Inc.
- GB Energy LTD.
- GDF SUEZ Trading
- GE Aviation
- Gevo Inc.
- Global Eagle Entertainment
- Global Logistics System (HK) Co. Ltd
- Global Oil Services
- GlobeFuel Systems & Services GmbH
- Gozen Security Services Inc.
- Ground Handling Logistic - Safewrap
- Gunnebo Entrance Control Ltd
- Hadid International Services
- Hans Infomatic Pvt Ltd
- Hansaconsult Ingenieurgesellschaft mbH
- Harris Corporation
- Harrods Aviation Limited
- HEICO Aerospace Corporation
- Hexaware Technologies Limited
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd.
- Hitachi, Ltd. Central Research Laboratory
- Hitit Computer Services
- Homing Pin Limited
- Honeywell, Inc.
- Hong Kong Air Cargo Terminals Limited
- IAI Israel Aerospace Industries Ltd
- IBM Corporation
- IBS Software Services
- ICM Airport Technics Australia Pty Ltd
- ICTS Europe Systems
- ID TECH
- Idemitsu Kosan Co., Ltd.
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited
- Infini Travel Information, Inc.
- Infosky Technology Co.Ltd.
- Innova Bilisim Cozumleri A.S.
- Innovata LLC
- Invido Group Inc.
- ISO Software Systeme GmbH
- ITA Software by Google
- J & D Oilfield International, SA
- JBM Associates, Inc.
- JBT AeroTech
- JetEx FZCO
- Jettainer GmbH
- Joint-Stock Company Sovex
- JR Technologies
- JSC Gazpromneft-Aero
- Jushad Oil & Gas Limited
- JX Nippon Oil & Energy Corporation
- Kaba Gallenschütz GmbH
- KazMunaiGaz-Aero LLP
- Kimoha Entrepreneurs Ltd.
- KIU System Solutions
- KUNZ GmbH aircraft equipment
- Kuwait Aviation Fuelling Company
- Kuwait Petroleum Corporation
- L.E.K. Consulting L.L.C.
- L-3 Security & Detection Systems
- LARGENT fuels
- Libya Oil Aviation
- LifeConEx LLC
- Liquid Controls
- Lufthansa AirPlus Servicekarten GmbH
- Lufthansa Systems AG
- Lukoil Aviation Bulgaria EOOD
- MAINAMI KUKO SERVICE CO., LTD.
- Malabar International
- Marks Systems, Inc. dba masFlight
- Marsh Limited
- Materna Information & Communications
- Maureva Ltd
- MedAire Inc.
- Medina Quality Assurance Services
- Merck Millipore
- Mercury Fuels, Inc.
- Miami Technology Group Inc. (MIATECH)
- Mitsubishi Aircraft Corporation
- Morgan Stanley
- MRS Holdings
- MTU Aero Engines AG
- Mühlbauer ID Services GmbH
- MULAG Fahrzeugwerk Heinz Wössner GmbH u. Co. KG
- Munich Re
- Naftna Industrija Srbije J.S.C.
- Narita International Airport Corporation (NAA)
- Navtech Inc.
- NCR Corporation
- Neste Oil Corporation
- NetTracer, Inc.
- NIIT Technologies
- Nordisk Aviation Products
- NX Systems Ltd
- OFC Aviation Fuel Services S.A.
- Oil Price Information Service (OPIS)
- OMV Petrol Ofisi
- OOO Lukoil-Aero
- OpenJaw Technologies Ltd
- Oracle Corporation
- Orbitz Worldwide
- Organización Terpel S.A.
- PalNet GmbH Air Cargo Products
- Panasonic Avionics Corporation
- Parker Hannifin Corporation Velcon Filtration Division
- Paxport AB
- PDC Aviation
- PECOFacet International
- Pertamina - Aviation
- Petrobras Aviation
- PetroChina International (Hong Kong) Corporation Limited
- Petroleos de Portugal_ Petrogal SA
- Petrolimex Aviation
- Petronas Aviation
- Point FWD
- Port of Seattle - Seattle-Tacoma International Airport
- Power Stow A/S
- Pratt & Whitney
- PricewaterhouseCoopers LLC
- PTT Public Company Limited
- Pulse.Aero Ltd
- Puma Energy International B.V
- Q8 Aviation
- QinetiQ Ltd
- QSL Consultores
- Quick International Courier
- Raizen Combustiveis S.A.
- Rational Business Corporation Private Limited
- Regio Lease
- Relate International Limited
- Reservation Data Maintenance (India) Pvt Ltd.
- Reshebile Aviation and Protection Services (pty) Ltd
- RESQTEC Zumro B.V.
- RN-Aero Ltd.
- Rolls-Royce Controls & Data Services
- Rolls-Royce Plc
- Rubis Aviation
- Ryan, LLC
- Sabre Holdings
- Sahara Group Limited
- San-Ai Oil Co., Ltd.
- SATCO, Inc.
- Scarabee systems & technology B.V.
- Securitas Transport Aviation Security
- Security Label GmbH
- Sensitech Inc.
- SGI Aviation
- Shell &Topaz Aviation Ireland Ltd
- Shell Aviation Ltd.
- Shenzhen Chengyuan Aviation Oil Co., Ltd.
- Shun Tak-China Travel Ship Management Limited
- Siemens AG
- Singapore Petroleum Company Limited (SPC)
- Sino-Dangerous Goods Transportation Consultant Ltd.
- Sinopec (Hong Kong) Aviation Company Ltd
- Sirena-Travel JSC
- SK Energy Co., Ltd
- SKA International Group / SKA Energy FZE
- Sky Assist
- Skyscanner Limited
- Slingmax® Rigging Solutions
- SMBC Aviation Capital
- Smiths Detection
- SOCAR Energy Switzerland GmbH
- Sol Aviation Services Ltd.
- Spencer Stuart
- ST-Airport Services Pte Ltd
- Sun Jet Services GBR
- Supreme Fuels Trading FZE
- Sutherland Global Services
- Swissport International
- Taiwan Fylin Industrial
- TAN SON NHAT PETROL COMMERCIAL JSC (TAPETCO)
- TCR International N.V.
- Tech Mahindra Limited
- Telair International GmbH
- Tesoro Refining & Marketing LLC
- Thales Group
- The Arabian Petroleum Supply Co. APSCO
- THY OPET
- TITAN AVIATION
- TLD Group
- TOPAS Co. Ltd
- Toppan Forms Co., Ltd.
- Toyo Kanetsu Solutions K.K.
- Travelport GDS
- TravelSky Technology Limited
- Travsys BV
- Trip Top Technologies
- Tristar Transport
- TZK Sheremetyevo
- UAS International Trip Support
- Ultra Electronics Airport Systems
- Unisys Corporation
- Universal Weather and Aviation, Inc.
- Unopetrol El Salvador SA (Uno Aviation)
- Valero Energy Ltd
- Van Riemsdijk Rotterdam B.V. (VRR)
- Vanguard ID Systems
- Vayant Travel Technologies, Inc.
- vCargo Cloud Pte Ltd
- Vestergaard Company A/S
- Vetter GmbH, A Unit of IDEX Corporation
- Vietnam Air Petrol Company Ltd
- Vitol Aviation
- Vortex Boarding and Disembarking Systems Ltd.
- Weathernews Inc.
- Web Cargo SL
- Weihai Guangtai Airport Equipment Co.,Ltd
- Westminster Aviation Security Services Ltd (WASS)
- Willis Limited
- Wirecard Technologies AG
- WNS North America Inc.
- World Fuel Services
- Worldwide Information Network (Thailand) Ltd.
- YPF S.A.
- Zacarías Moreno SL (Frigocontainer)
- Zafire Aviation Software Ltd
- Zodiac Air Cargo Equipment B.V.
Publications - standards
A number of standards are defined under the umbrella of IATA. One of the most important is the transport of dangerous goods (HAZMAT).
- Air Transport Action Group (ATAG)
- Flight planning
- IATA airport code
- IATA Operational Safety Audit (IOSA)
- International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
- International Society of Transport Aircraft Trading
- Kenneth Beaumont
- Standard Schedules Information Manual
- "IATA". Oxford Dictionaries. Oxford University Press. 11 July 2013.
- "Current Airline Members". International Air Transport Association. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- "International Air Transport Association". CAPA Centre for Aviation. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- Sebastian Höhne. "IT in general Aviation: Pen and Paper vs. Bits and Bytes" (PDF). hoehne.net. p. 38. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "Contemporary Issues in Air Transport Air Law & Regulation" (PDF). Institute of Air & Space Law, McGill University, Montreal. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- "Bilateral Air Service Agreements". Aviation Knowledge. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Airline Tariff Publishing Company. "ATPCO corporate history". Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- "History of Aviation". Online Travel and Tourism Courses. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- "Airline Deregulation". Federal Bureaucracy, Shmoop. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Fred L. Smith Jr.; Braden Cox. "Airline Deregulation". The Concise Encyclopedia of Economics. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Sebastian Höhne. "IT in general Aviation: Pen and Paper vs. Bits and Bytes" (PDF). hoehne.net. p. 39. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "Safety top priority for aviation industry: IATA". China Daily. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- Karen Walker. "2012 safest year ever for IATA airlines". Air Transport World. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- "IATA wants new airline tracking equipment". Malaysia Sun. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- "IATA Reveals Checkpoint of the Future". EVA International Media LTD, Aviation Publishers & Events Specialists. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- "IATA reveals checkpoint of the future". SecureIDNews. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Gouldman, Anna (25 April 2005). "Airlines to Scrap Paper Tickets by 2007: Industry Feedback". Breaking Travel News. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Greenwood, Gemma (27 August 2007). "IATA makes final paper ticket order". Arabian Travel News. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Boehmer, Jay (18 October 2012). "IATA Votes To Adopt New Distribution Standards". The Beat. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- IATA. Cargo-XML Standards: Modernizing air cargo communication.
- Vanasse, Zachary-Cy (1 May 2013). "New Distribution Capability Or New Industry Model?". Travel Hot News. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Orukpe, Abel. "IATA urges stakeholders to collaborate, give passengers value". Daily Independent. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Harvey, Fiona (4 June 2013). "Airlines agree to curb their greenhouse gas emissions by 2020". The Guardian. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- "IATA Strategic Partners". IATA Strategic Partners. Retrieved 26 March 2015.