International American School of Warsaw
A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (April 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|International American School of Warsaw|
|Established||founded in 1989|
|School district||Warsaw, Poland|
|Vice Principal||Arthur O’Keeffe|
|Faculty||36 full-time members|
|Grades||pre-K-12. and 11-12|
|Enrollment||250 (as of 2018–19)|
|Color(s)||blue & white|
|Newspaper||official newspaper IAS Times|
|Feeder schools||The Northwest Association of Accredited Schools and the International Baccalaureate Organization|
|Information||+48 22 649 14 40|
International American School of Warsaw ( or I.A.S ) is the first private American School of the post-Communist period, located in Warsaw, Poland. I.A.S. is a pre-kindergarten (pre-K) through twelfth grade institution (i.e. including preschool, elementary, middle and high school) founded in 1989 in Poland. I.A.S. is accredited through three major educational bodies: the International Baccalaureate Organization, AdvancED, and the Polish Ministry of Education, offering a diploma track for university studies in Europe, the UK, the US, and Poland, as well as other countries.
The International American School of Warsaw was founded by Ishaq Hussaini in 1989 as an American English-day school, and has since evolved to serve the needs of both the Polish and International communities for grades pre-K - 12. The high school offers the IB Diploma Programme to students completing the course in grades 11 and 12. In addition, I.A.S. offers the only dual diploma system in the country to its non-IB students: the Polish Diploma (limited to Polish students passing the Polish Finishing Exams in both sixth and twelfth grades) and the International Diploma (for both Polish and international students).
The school complex consists of two buildings in close proximity. Pre-K, kindergartners, first, second, third and fourth graders are taught in the Primary School at ul. Dembego 12. Grades 5-12 occupy ul. Dembego 18. Starting with the first grade, class sizes are limited to no more than eighteen students per class. The overall student-to-teacher ratio is approximately 10:1.
I.A.S. has been rated among the top 10 best schools in Poland by the Ministry of Education; it is the only international school certified by the Polish Ministry of Education.
The school has 36 full-time faculty members, 72% of whom have graduate degrees. There are 25 native English speakers who teach English, science, social studies and history. English-speaking Polish staff teach math, advanced sciences, Polish, music, art, French, German and Spanish. The student-faculty ratio is approximately 5:1.
Approximately 30% of the students are Polish; the other 70% come from over 40 nations. Among the nationalities of the students are German, Russian, Indian, Kuwaiti, Vietnamese, Korean, and American.
The upper grades are structured by the curriculum of the International Baccalaureate Programme. Students choose six subjects, three at standard level and three at high level. The programs at the Lower and Middle schools integrate international American and British standards with the rigorous program established by the Polish Ministry of Education.
The award of the IB Diploma is contingent on the successful completion of the IB exams. Non-IB students must complete 36 credits per school year at the high school level in 11 Core Subjects including the arts: English, French, Spanish, German, Polish, geography, Polish history, and US social studies; the sciences: biology, chemistry, and physics; math and computers; religion; and physical education. International students are not required to study Polish literature, Polish history or religion.
Grades are reported four times per academic year via a "progress report" in their student handbooks, and twice per year at the end of each semester in the student handbooks, Polish day books and official transcripts. The marking system is as follows:
Cumulative grade point averages (GPA) are determined from academic classes only (i.e. English, math, etc.). There is no weighting of grades for calculation of GPA. It is the policy of IAS not to rank students, though a student's relative standing is reported in the GPA percentile distribution.
Extra- and co-curricular activities include: student council, Warsaw Volunteer Mission Hospice program, International Honor Society, dance club, theatre club, art club, yearbook, soccer, basketball, and peer counseling,.