International Association for Mathematical Geosciences
|Purpose||Mathematics, Statistics, Informatics in the Geosciences|
|Headquarters||5868 Westheimer Rd. # 537, Houston, TX 77057, U.S.A|
|ca. 800 individuals|
|Journal of Mathematical Geosciences"|
The International Association for Mathematical Geosciences (IAMG) is a nonprofit organization of geoscientists. The aim of the International Association for Mathematical Geosciences is to promote international cooperation in the application and use of mathematics in geological research and technology. IAMG's activities are to organize meetings, issue of publications on the application of mathematics in the geological sciences, extend cooperation with other organizations professionally concerned with applications of mathematics and statistics to the biological sciences, earth sciences, engineering, environmental sciences, and planetary sciences. IAMG is a not for profit 501(c)(3) organization.
The IAMG was established in August 1968 at the International Geological Congress in Prague, Czechoslovakia.
Presidents of the International Association for Mathematical Geosciences (IAMG) include:
- Jennifer McKinley (N. Ireland) (2016-2020)
- Qiuming Cheng (Canada and China) (2012-2016)
- Vera Pawlowsky-Glahn (Spain) (2008-2012)
- Frits P. Agterberg (Canada) (2004-2008)
- Graeme Bonham-Carter (Canada) (2000-2004)
- Ricardo A. Olea (USA) (1996-2000)
- Michael Ed. Hohn (USA) (1992-1996)
- Richard B. McCammon (USA) (1989-1992)
- John C. Davis (USA) (1984-1989)
- E. H. Timothy Whitten (USA) (1980-1984)
- Daniel F. Merriam (USA) (1976-1980)
- Richard Reyment (Sweden) (1972-1976)
- Andrei B. Vistelius (USSR) (1968-1972)
The IAMG offers medals, lectureships, prizes, and awards.
- William Christian Krumbein Medal (established in 1976), is named after William Christian Krumbein. It is awarded to senior scientists for career achievement, which includes distinction in application of mathematics or informatics in the earth sciences, service to the IAMG, and support to professions involved in the earth sciences.
- The Georges Matheron Lectureship (established 2006), named after Georges Matheron, a leader in the field of geostatistics. The Lectures Committee seeks nominations and selects each year a Georges Matheron Lecturer who is a scientist with proven research ability in the field of spatial statistics or mathematical morphology.
- The IAMG Distinguished Lectureship is awarded once in every two years. The purpose of the IAMG Distinguished Lecture series is to demonstrate to the broader geological community the power of mathematical geology to address routine geological interpretation and to deliver this knowledge to audiences in selected parts the world.
- Felix Chayes Prize for Excellence in Research in Mathematical Petrology is a cash prize endowed in honor of Felix Chayes that is given to recipients of exceptional potential and proven research ability. The prize is given for outstanding contributions to statistical petrology or related applications of mathematics or informatics.
- The John Cedric Griffiths Teaching Award is presented to honor outstanding teaching, especially for teaching that involves application of mathematics or informatics to the Earth's nonrenewable natural resources or to sedimentary geology.
- The Andrei Borisovich Vistelius Research Award is given to a young scientist for promising contributions in research in the application of mathematics or informatics in any field of the earth sciences. A recipient should be 35 years or younger at the end of the calendar year for which he or she has been selected for the award.
IAMG Certificate of Appreciation
A Special Merit Certificate is given to those individuals who did exceptional work on behalf of IAMG that is beyond normal expectations.As of 2018[update], there have been five recipients of this honor:
- Cora Edith Cowan (1999)
- Richard Reyment (2002)
- Kathryn MacKinnon (2005)
- JoAnne DeGraffenreid (2015)
- B. S. Daya Sagar (2018)
Honorary IAMG Membership
- "IAMG — Asociación Internacional para las Geociencias Matemáticas, 2011 page 431" (PDF). Boletín Geológico y Minero, 122 (4): 429–438. ISSN 0366-0176.
- "Journals". Publications. International Association for Mathematical Geosciences=23 September 2014.
- "IAMG Awards". IAMG. Retrieved September 2014. Check date values in:
- "John Cedric Griffiths Teaching Award". http://www.iamg.org/index.php/publisher/articleview/frmArticleID/90.
- "IAMG Certificate of Appreciation". https://www.iamg.org/index.php/publisher/articleview/frmArticleID/148.
- "IAMG Certificate of Appreciation". https://www.iamg.org/awards-honors.html.
- "IAMG awards and honors". https://www.iamg.org/awards-honors.html.
- "IAMG Newsletter No 59 November, Page 5;" (PDF). 2018-03-08. Retrieved 2018-03-08.
- "IAMG Newsletter No 65 June, Page 10;" (PDF). 2018-03-02. Retrieved 2018-03-02.
- "IAMG Newsletter No 70 May, Page 7;" (PDF). 2018-03-02. Retrieved 2018-03-02.
- "IAMG Newsletter No 71 December, Page 9;" (PDF). 2018-03-02. Retrieved 2018-03-02.
- "IAMG Newsletter No 90 June, Page 4;" (PDF). 2018-03-02. Retrieved 2018-03-02.
- "IAMG Newsletter No 91 December, Page 11;" (PDF). 2018-03-02. Retrieved 2018-03-02.