|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Motto||Promoting ethical professional practices|
|Formation||30 September 2009|
President of the Board of Directors
Based in Buenos Aires, Argentina, IAPTI was established on 30 September 2009, Saint Jerome's day. Created by a group of professional language mediators as a vehicle for promoting ethical practices in translation and interpretation and providing a forum for discussing problems typical of the globalized world, such as crowdsourcing, outsourcing, bad rates and other abuse. Technological-ethical issues are also important to IAPTI, such as the exploitation of language professionals as cheap proofreaders of machine-translated texts.
IAPTI applied for registration as a civil association in the City of Buenos Aires (Argentina). Its legal registration under the name "International Association of Professional Translators and Interpreters" took a long time to process with the Office of the Argentine Inspector-General for Justice. On 23 February 2017 it was announced that the Inspector-General for Justice has finally approved IAPTI as a civil association.
According to its bylaws, the Association is directed and managed by a Board of Directors made up of the six following officers: President, Vice President, Secretary General, Treasurer, two Voting Members and two Alternate Voting Members.
Events, webinars, publications
IAPTI has held four international conferences, in London (2013), Athens (2014), Bordeaux (2015), and the fourth conference was held in Buenos Aires in April 2017 at the Claridge Hotel, the same venue where the association was established eight years before.
In 2013, IAPTI joined forces with AIIC, Red T and FIT in the Open Letter Project, which had been launched in 2012. Later they were also joined by Critical Link International, the International Council for the Development of Community Interpreting (CLI), and the World Association of Sign Language Interpreters (WASLI).
They have sent open letters addressing several issues, among others:
- put pressure on governments to ensure the long-term safety of linguists who served their troops in Afghanistan
- ask the President of the United States for consideration with translators and interpreters in the wake of war against ISIS
- advocate for the UN to pass a resolution declaring the 30 September as International Translation Day
Its honorary members are the following:
- Noam Chomsky
- Mona Baker
- Valentín García Yebra (in memoriam)
- Sergio Viaggio
- Fernando Navarro
- Suzanne Jill Levine
- Ricardo Chiesa
- Lucille Barnes
- Madeleine Lee
- David Bellos
Since 2009 language professionals from several countries have been active members of IAPTI, such as interpeter Tony Rosado or academic Mona Baker. Further, IAPTI's actions regarding freedom of expression of translators and interpreters received support from the New England Translators Association.
- "IAPTI approved by IGJ". www.iapti.org. Retrieved 11 March 2017.
- Stelmaszak, Marta. "People who rock: Aurora Humarán". Wantwords.co.uk. Retrieved 24 December 2016.
- "International Translators Association Launched in Argentina". Latin American Herald Tribune. Retrieved 23 November 2016.
- "Addressing issues of concern in the translation and interpretation industry". Lexis.pro. Retrieved 23 November 2016.
- "New association will promote ethical practices in translating and interpreting". Fundéu. 30 September 2009. (Spanish)
- "Aurora Humarán". North American Academy of the Spanish Language. Retrieved 26 December 2016. (Spanish)
- "IAPTI - International Association of Professional Translators and Interpreters". www.iapti.org. Retrieved 23 November 2016.
- "IAPTI bylaws". www.iapti.org. Retrieved 23 November 2016.
- "IAPTI Conference London 2013". iapti.org. Retrieved 16 December 2016.
- IAPTI 2nd Conference at Eventful.com
- "IAPTI Conference – Athens 2014". iapti.org. Retrieved 16 December 2016.
- "3rd IAPTI International Conference for Translators and Interpreters". metmeetings.org.
- "IAPTI Conference Bordeaux 2015". iapti.org. Retrieved 16 December 2016.
- "IAPTI Conference in Buenos Aires 2017" (PDF). Tremédica. (Spanish)
- "IAPTI Conference Buenos Aires 2017". iapti.org. Retrieved 12 January 2017.
- IAPTI 2017 at the Claridge Hotel
- "The IAPTImes". iapti.org. Retrieved 16 December 2016.
- "Open Letter Project". Red T. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- "Open Letter Protecting Translators and Interpreters Worldwide" (PDF). International Federation of Translators. Retrieved 16 January 2017.
- "Open Letter to the President of the United STates" (PDF). Red T. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- "UN Set to Pass Draft Resolution Declaring September 30 As Translation Day". Slator.com. 22 May 2017.
- "FIT Partners". International Federation of Translators. Retrieved 25 December 2016.
- "IAPTI - Honorary Members". www.iapti.org. Retrieved 16 December 2016.
- "Mona Baker" (PDF). International Burch University. Retrieved 26 December 2016.
- "Fernando Navarro". North American Academy of the Spanish Language. Retrieved 26 December 2016. (Spanish)
- Rosado, Tony. "Improving our knowledge, enhancing our skills". RPS. Retrieved 25 December 2016.
- "Ethics in the translation CV". Monabaker.org. Retrieved 31 January 2017.
- "NETA's open letter". NETA. Retrieved 31 January 2017.