Ala-Too International University
Международный университет «Ала-Тоо»
|International Alatoo University|
1/8 Ankara Street,
The Ala-Too International University (Russian: Международный университет «Ала-Тоо»; Turkish: Uluslararası Ala-Too Üniversitesi), formerly known as the International Atatürk-Alatoo University, is a private university located in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan. It was established in 1996. The university offers graduate, master's, and doctoral programs. It is often ranked as one of Kyrgyzstan's most prestigious universities.
The Ala-Too International University is funded and run by the global Islamic education network of Fethullah Gülen. Following the 2016 Turkish coup d'état attempt, which the Turkish government blames on Gülen, the university changed its name from the International Atatürk-Alatoo University to the Ala-Too International University, appointed a Kyrgyz rector, and generally started to position itself more as a local institution.
The Ala-Too International University was established as the International Atatürk-Alatoo University in 1996 by the Sebat Educational Foundation which promotes and follows the tenets of Islam espoused by Fethullah Gülen.
In the wake of the 2016 Turkish coup d'état attempt, which the Turkish government blames on Gülen, the administration of Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan demanded that Kyrgyzstan close down institutions affiliated with the Gülen movement. However, the Kyrgyz government refused to comply with Ankara's demands. In February 2017, the Turkish government announced that diplomas issued by the Ala-Too International University would no longer be valid in Turkey.
Subsequently, the name of the university was changed from the International Atatürk-Alatoo University to the Ala-Too International University. The name of the organization that runs the Ala-Too International University along with 35 other schools and colleges was also changed from the Sebat Educational Foundation to the Sapat Educational Foundation. (Sapat means quality in Kyrgyz.)
The Ala-Too International University has the following departments and programs:
Faculty of New Technologies
- Computer science
- Electronics and nanoelectronics engineering
- Applied mathematics and IT
Faculty of Social Sciences
- Сhineese language and translation
- Simultaneous translation
- English language and literature
Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences
- World economy and international business
- International relations
- Finance and banking
- Accounting and audit
- Industrial engineering
Faculty of Medicine
- General medicine
- Economy and accounting
- Computer systems and complexes
- Software engineering
- Putz, Catherine (25 July 2016). "Turkish targeting of Gülen movement reaches into Central Asia". The Diplomat. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Recknagel, Charles (21 July 2016). "In wake of blown coup, Turkey takes global aim at Gulen Movement". Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Starr, Stephen (5 August 2016). "Erdogan seeks to close Kyrgyz schools and colleges linked to exiled cleric". The Irish Times. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Bengard, Anastasiya (14 August 2017). "Более 11 тысяч кыргызских учащихся не пустят в Турцию" [More than 11,000 Kyrgyz students will not be allowed to enter Turkey]. 24 (in Russian). Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "Какой привет... Чиновники отреагировали на заявление турецких коллег о «Себате»" [As you salute... Officials react to the statement of Turkish colleagues on Sebat]. 24 (in Russian). 15 August 2017. Retrieved 15 November 2017.
- Ilyasov, Rustem (4 February 2017). "Дипломы университета "Ататюрк-Алатоо" больше не принимаются в Турции" [Diplomas of Ataturk Ala-Too University no longer accepted in Turkey]. Kloop (in Russian). Retrieved 1 February 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to International Atatürk-Alatoo University.|
- Official website (in English) (in Russian)