International Beer Day
|International Beer Day|
|Celebrations||Beer Gatherings, cook-outs|
|Date||First Friday in August|
|2016 date||August 5|
|2017 date||August 4|
|2018 date||August 3|
|2019 date||August 2|
International Beer Day (IBD) is a celebration on the first Friday of every August founded in 2007 in Santa Cruz, California. Since its inception, International Beer Day has grown from a small localized event in the western United States into a worldwide celebration spanning 207 cities, 50 countries and 6 continents. Specifically, International Beer Day has three declared purposes:
- To gather with friends and enjoy the taste of beer.
- To celebrate those responsible for brewing and serving beer.
- To unite the world under the banner of beer, by celebrating the beers of all nations together on a single day.
Participants are encouraged to give one another the 'gift of beer' by buying each other drinks, and to express gratitude to brewers, bartenders, and other beer technicians. In the international spirit of the holiday, it is also suggested that participants step out of their domestic/locally brewed comfort zone and sample a beer from another culture.
International Beer Day began as a celebration at the founders’ local bar, but has since expanded to become a worldwide event. Celebrations are planned throughout the United States as well as in Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Colombia, Costa Rica, El Salvador, England, France, Greece, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Scotland, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Thailand, the Philippines, Turkey, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, Vanuatu, and Venezuela.
Popular forms of International Beer Day Events include: Tapping of new or rare beers, all-day happy hours, beer flights, trivia nights, binge drinking and other games (such as beer pong), beer/food pairings and beer gear giveaways.
From 2007 through 2012, International Beer Day was celebrated on August 5. After International Beer Day 2012, the founders took a poll of fans and chose to move the holiday to the first Friday in August.
- Daily TWiP – International Beer Day, Nashua Telegraph August 5, 2010
- Today is International Beer Day. Myfoxla.com (2010-08-05). Retrieved on 2011-04-21.
- Start Celebrating: It's International Beer Day! – Pop Candy. USAtoday.com (2010-08-05). Retrieved on 2011-04-21.
- Celebrate the golden suds on International Beer Day Friday. Independent.co.uk (2011-08-04). Retrieved on 2011-08-05.
- 353 Celebrations in 50 Countries, and More?. International Beer Day. Retrieved on 2012-08-04.
- Press Kit. International Beer Day. Retrieved on 2011-08-05.
- "Reminder: Due to popular demand,... - International Beer Day - Facebook". facebook.com.