International Business Times
The September 9, 2010 front page of
The IBTimes home page
|Editor||Peter S. Goodman|
|Language||English, Chinese, Japanese, Italian, Korean|
|Headquarters||7 Hanover Square, Fl 5
Manhattan, New York City, US
The International Business Times is an online news publication, comprising seven national editions and four languages. The publication, sometimes called IBTimes or IBT, offers news, opinion, and editorial commentary on business and business-related stories. It was ranked by Alexa as the third-most visited site among business newspapers as of October 2011.
IBTimes was launched in 2005; it is owned by IBT Media, and was founded by Etienne Uzac and Johnathan Davis. Its headquarters are in a former Newsweek office in the Financial District of Lower Manhattan, New York City.
Founder Etienne Uzac, a native of France, came up with the idea for the global business news site while a student at the London School of Economics. He found that the strongest business newspapers had a focus on the U.S and Europe and planned to provide broader geographic coverage. Uzac recruited Johnathan Davis to join him in the enterprise. In late 2005 Uzac and Davis moved to New York to launch the site, with Uzac primarily focused on business strategy while Davis coded the site and wrote the first articles.
In May 2012, the company announced that Jeffery Rothfeder had been appointed as the publication's new Editor-in-Chief, while Davis, who previously served as Executive Editor, will manage the company's content strategy across all platforms as the Chief Content Officer.
On August 4, 2013, IBT Media, the owner of IBTimes, announced its purchase of Newsweek and newsweek.com from IAC/InterActiveCorp. The purchase does not include The Daily Beast. Peter S. Goodman became the editor in 2014.
By October 2011, the site ranked within the top 400 U.S websites, and the top 900 global websites. By March 2015, the site ranked within the top 550 U.S websites, and the top 1,050 global websites.
- "About us". International Business Times. IBT Media. Retrieved August 6, 2013.
- Peter Goodman named editor-in-chief of International Business Times
- "Talking Business News". talkingbiznews.com. Retrieved October 23, 2012.
- "Alexa – Top Sites by Category: Business/News". Alexa.com. Retrieved October 10, 2011.
- "Braving bad juju International Business Times moves into Newsweek's old newsroom". The New York Observer. Retrieved October 9, 2011.
- "Company Timeline". Digiday.com. Retrieved September 17, 2012.
- "Company Timeline". International Business Times. Retrieved October 12, 2011.
- "Marketwatch". Marketwatch.com. Retrieved June 2, 2012.
- "Newsweek purchased by International Business Times owner". Washington Post. Retrieved August 4, 2013.[dead link]
- "The top 500 sites in United States". Alexa.com. Retrieved October 12, 2011.
- "Alexa Site Info". Alexa.com. Retrieved October 12, 2011.
- "Site Overview ibtimes.com". Alexa.com. Retrieved March 2, 2015.
- Dooley, Ben (March 31, 2014). "Who's Behind Newsweek?". Mother Jones. Retrieved October 30, 2014.