International Cartographic Association
Some of this article's listed sources may not be reliable. (June 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|International Council for Science|
|Website||ICA Official website|
The International Cartographic Association (ICA) (French: Association Cartographique Internationale, ACI), is an organization formed of national member organizations, to provide a forum for issues and techniques in cartography and GIScience. ICA was founded on June 9, 1959, in Bern, Switzerland. The first General Assembly was held in Paris in 1961. The mission of the International Cartographic Association is to promote the disciplines and professions of cartography and GIScience in an international context. To achieve these aims, the ICA works with national and international governmental and commercial bodies, and with other international scientific societies.
|2019-||Tim Trainor||United States|
|2003-2007||Milan Konecny||Czech Republic|
|1995-1999||Michael Wood||United Kingdom|
|1984-1987||Joel Morrison||United States|
|1972-1976||Arthur H. Robinson||United States|
|1968-1972||Konstantin Salichtchev||Soviet Union|
|1964-1968||Dennis Thackwell||United Kingdom|
Secretaries-General and Treasurers
The Secretary-General and Treasurer is responsible for the administration and the general running of the Association.
|2007-2011||David Fairbairn||United Kingdom|
|1984-1991||Donald T. Pearce||Australia|
|1976-1984||Olof W. Hedbom||Sweden|
|1961-1964||Erwin Gigas||West Germany|
On 20 July 2019 member nations elected the new Executive Committee (EC) of the ICA for the 2019–2023 term. New ICA president is Tim Trainor.
To coordinate international cartographic work Commissions and Working Groups have been established. These are chaired by experts in a specific field of cartography and comprise members from the international Cartography and GIScience community.
- Commission on Art and Cartography
- Commission on Atlases
- Commission on Cartographic Heritage into the Digital
- Commission on Cartography and Children
- Commission on Cartography in Early Warning and Crisis Management
- Commission on Cognitive Issues in Geographic Information Visualization
- Commission on Education and Training
- Commission on Generalisation and Multiple Representation
- Commission on Geospatial Analysis and Modeling
- Commission on Geospatial Semantics
- Commission on GI and Sustainability
- Commission on History of Cartography
- Commission on Location Based Services
- Commission on Map Design
- Commission on Map Production and Geoinformation Management
- Commission on Map Projections
- Commission on Maps and Graphics for Blind and Partially Sighted People
- Commission on Maps and the Internet
- Commission on Mountain Cartography
- Commission on Open Source Geospatial Technologies
- Commission on Planetary Cartography
- Commission on SDI and Standards
- Commission on Sensor Driven Mapping
- Commission on Topographic Mapping
- Commission on Toponymy
- Commission on Ubiquitous Mapping
- Commission on Use, User and Usability
- Commission on Visual Analytics
ICA allows two types of memberships:
- Affiliate members are organisations, institutions or companies wishing to support the mission and activities of ICA.
- National members are national organizations dealing with cartography or geoinformation, such as national mapping agencies.
International Cartographic Conferences (ICC) take place every second year in one of the member countries. At every second conference (every fourth year) it hosts the General Assembly of the ICA.
- 2023: Cape Town, South Africa
- 2021: Florence, Italy
- 2019: Tokyo, Japan
- 2017: Washington D.C., United States
- 2015: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 2013: Dresden, Germany
- 2011: Paris, France
- 2009: Santiagode Chile, Chile
- 2007: Moscow, Russia
- 2005: A Coruña, Spain
- 2003: Durban, South Africa
- 2001: Beijing, China
- 1999: Ottawa, Canada
- 1997: Stockholm, Sweden
- 1995: Barcelona, Spain
- 1993: Cologne, Germany
- 1991: Bournemouth, United Kingdom
- 1989: Budapest, Hungary
- 1987: Morelia, Mexico
- 1984: Perth, Australia
- 1982: Warsaw, Poland
- 1980: Tokyo, Japan
- 1978: College Park (Maryland), United States
- 1976: Moscow, Soviet Union
- 1974: Madrid, Spain
- 1972: Ottawa, Canada
- 1970: Stresa, Italy
- 1968: Delhi, India
- 1967: Amsterdam, Netherlands
- 1964: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
- 1962: Frankfurt am Main, West Germany
- 1961: Paris, France
Carl Mannerfelt Gold Medal
The Carl Mannerfelt Gold Medal honours cartographers of outstanding merit who have made significant contributions of an original nature to the field of cartography. It is awarded only on rare occasions. The award is named after the Swedish cartographer, Carl Mannerfelt, who in 1981 won the prize named after him.
- Recipients 
|Ferjan Ormeling||The Netherlands||2009|
|Jack Dangermond||United States of America||2007|
|David Rhind||United Kingdom||2005|
|Joel L. Morrison||United States of America||2001|
|Ferdinand J. Ormeling||The Netherlands||1987|
|Arthur H. Robinson||United States of America||1980|
|Konstantin A. Salichtchev||Soviet Union||1980|
ICA Honorary Fellowship
The ICA Honorary Fellowship is for cartographers of international reputation who have made special contribution to the ICA. It includes a bronze medal.
ICA Map Awards at the International Map Exhibition
At the biennial International Map Exhibitions at the ICC an international jury selects the best entries.
Barbara Petchenik International Children Map Design Competition
This competition is organized every two years at the ICC. In a national round in all participating ICA member countries, the national winners are selected, which are exhibited during the International Cartographic Conference, where the international winners are selected.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (May 2016)
ICA offers a number of publications. Its official journal is the International Journal of Cartography (print ISSN: 2372-9333; online ISSN: 2372-9341), published by Taylor & Francis on behalf of ICA. It also has three affiliated journals:
- "History of the ICA". ICA. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- "Mission". ICA. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- "Executive Committee Archive". ICA. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- "Results of the 18th General Assembly of the ICA". ICA. Retrieved 30 July 2019.
- "Membership types". ICA. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- "International Cartographic Conferences". ICA. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- "ICA Award Medals". ICA. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- "ICA Map Awards". ICA. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- "Barbara Petchenik Children's World Map Drawing Competition". ICA. Retrieved 2 November 2015.