International Co-operative Day
On December 16, 1992, the United Nations General Assembly proclaimed in resolution 47/90 "the first Saturday of July 1995 to be International Day of Cooperatives, marking the centenary of the establishment of the International Cooperative Alliance." Since 1995 the United Nations' International Day of Co-operatives has been observed jointly alongside International Co-operative Day.
Co-operatives around the world celebrate the day in various fashions and each year the organising institutions agree on a theme for the celebrations. The 2010 theme was Cooperative Enterprise Empowers Women, to coincide with the 15th anniversary of the Beijing Platform for Action.
Previous years' themes
- 2019: COOPS 4 DECENT WORK
- 2018: Sustainable consumption and production
- 2017: Co-operatives ensure no one is left behind
- 2016: Cooperatives: The power to act for a sustainable future.
- 2015: Choose co-operatives, choose equality
- 2014: Co-operative enterprises achieve sustainable development for all.
- 2013: Cooperative enterprise remains strong in time of crisis.
- 2012: Co-operative enterprises build a better world.
- 2011: Youth, the future of co-operative enterprise
- 2010: Cooperative Enterprise Empowers Women
- 2009: Driving Recovery through Co-operative Enterprise
- 2008: Confronting Climate Change through Co-operative Enterprise
- 2007 Co-operative Values and Principles for Corporate Social responsibility
- 2006 Peace-building through Co-operatives
- 2005: Microfinance is OUR business! Cooperating out of poverty
- 2004: Co-operatives for Fair Globalisation: Creating Opportunities for All
- 2003: Co-operatives Make Development Happen!: The contribution of co-operatives to the United Nations Millennium Development Goals
- 2002: Society and Co-operatives: Concern for Community
- 2001: The Co-operative Advantage in the Third Millennium
- 2000: Co-operatives and Employment Promotion
- 1999: Public Policy and Co-operative Legislation
- 1998: Cooperatives and the Globalization of the Economy
- 1997: The Co-operative Contribution to World Food Security
- 1996: Co-operative Enterprise: Empowerment for People-centred Sustainable Development
- 1995: The ICA Centennial and the Next 100 Years of International Co-operation
- International Day of Cooperatives. United Nations.
- Kavan, Jan. International Day of Co-operatives: "Co-operatives Make Development Happen!" President of the UN General Assembly. 5 July 2003.
- 88th International Co-Operative Alliance International Co-Operative Day. Manila Bulletin. 2 July 2010.
- International Day Of Cooperative, Theme EverGalax 15/4/2019.
- 15th United Nations International Day of Cooperatives: "Driving global recovery through cooperative enterprise." Food and Agriculture Organization /International Labour Organization. 7 July 2009.
- 86th ICA International Cooperative Day. Cooperatives Europe. 5 July 2008.
- Mathes, Rohan. Co-operatives must go global - PM. Sri Lanka Daily News. 6 September 2008.
- International Day of Cooperatives to Highlight Corporate Social Responsibility. United Nations press release.
- Somavía, Juan. Peace-building through Cooperatives. Committee for the Promotion and Advancement of Cooperatives. 2006.
- Panel Discussion on Cooperatives, Microfinance to mark International Day of Cooperatives, 23 June. Newswire.
- International Day of Cooperatives promotes Fair Globalisation. Agra. 3 July 2004.
- Menya, Davis. Co-op day this weekend. Kenya Broadcasting Corporation. 1 July 2004.
- UNAG organises peace walk. GhanaWeb. 1 July 2003.
- Panel on "Society and Cooperatives: Concern for Community." Social Perspective on Development Branch.
- 79th ICA International Co-operative Day, 7th UN International Day of Cooperatives. International Co-operative Alliance. 7 July 2001.
- 78th ICA International Co-operative Day, 6th UN International Day of Cooperatives. International Co-operative Alliance. 1 July 2000.
- Public Policy and Co-operative Legislation. National Co-op Update. No. 22 July/August 1999.
- Annan, Kofi. Secretary-General's Message for International Day of Cooperatives. United Nations. 2 July 1998.
- Planning Underway for 2005 International Co-operatives Day. International Co-operative Alliance. 25 October 2004.