International Conference on Communications
||This article's lead section may be too long for the length of the article. (March 2017)|
The International Conference on Communications (ICC) is an annual international academic conference organised by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers' Communications Society. The conference grew out of the Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM) when, in 1965, the seventh GLOBECOM was sponsored by the Communications Society's predecessor as the "IEEE Communications Convention". The following year it adopted its current name and GLOBECOM was disbanded (it has since been revived). The conference was always held in the United States until 1984 when it was held in Amsterdam; it has since been held in several other countries.
Some major telecommunications discoveries have been announced at ICC, such as the invention of turbo codes. In fact, this ground breaking paper had been submitted to ICC the previous year, but was rejected by the referees who thought the results too good to be true.
The program of a typical ICC features major Symposia, Industry Forums, Workshops and Tutorials. Technical sessions are typically held from Tuesday-Thursday, while special sessions, workshops, tutorials etc. are held Sundays, Mondays, and Fridays.
History of the Conference
|History of the ICC conference|
|2018||Kansas City||United States||20-24 May|
|2016||Kuala Lumpur||Malaysia||23–27 May|
|2015||London||United Kingdom||8–12 June|
|2010||Cape Town||South Africa||23–27 May|
|2007||Glasgow||United Kingdom||24–28 June|
|2003||Anchorage, Alaska||United States||11–15 May|
|2002||New York City||United States||28 April - 2 May|
|2000||New Orleans||United States||18–22 June|
|1998||Atlanta||United States||7–11 June|
|1996||Dallas||United States||23–27 June|
|1995||Seattle||United States||18–22 June|
|1994||New Orleans||United States||1–5 May|
|1992||Chicago||United States||14–18 June|
|1991||Denver||United States||23–26 June|
- "IEEE Communications Society — History". IEEE Communications Society. Archived from the original on March 12, 2005. Retrieved 2006-03-22.
- "ICC". IEEE Communications Society. Retrieved 2006-03-22.
- Berrou, C.; Glavieux, A.; Thitimajshima, P. (May 1993). "Near Shannon limit error-correcting coding: turbo codes". Proc. IEEE International Conference on Communications. 2: 1064–1070. ISBN 0-7803-0950-2. doi:10.1109/ICC.1993.397441.
- Alister Burr (August 2001). "Turbo-codes: the ultimate error control codes? (In particular, Section 2, pg. 156)". IEE Electronics & Communication Engineering Journal. 13 (4): 155–165. ISSN 0954-0695.
- "ICC 2004 details". IEEE. Retrieved 2006-03-22.
- "ICC 2005 details". IEEE. Retrieved 2006-03-22.