International Cycling History Conference
The International Cycling History Conference (ICHC) is an annual event devoted to applying academic rigor to the history of bicycles and cycling. The first conference was held in Glasgow, Scotland in 1990. The proceedings of each conference are published afterwards.
Past conferences have been held around the world:
Notable presenters include:
- Berto, Frank, author of The Dancing Chain and The Birth of Dirt, both published by Cycle Publishing/Van der Plas Publications
- Breeze, Joe, mountain bike pioneer and Mountain Bike Hall of Fame inductee
- Herlihy, David V., author of Bicycle: the History, published by Yale University Press
- Norcliffe, Glen, author of The Ride to Modernity: The Bicycle in Canada, published by University of Toronto Press
- Ritchie, Andrew, author of Major Taylor: The Fastest Bicycle Rider in the World and Quest for Speed: A History of Early Bicycle Racing 1868–1903, both published by Van der Plas Publications (not the inventor of the Brompton Bicycle)
- Wilson, David Gordon, author of Bicycling Science, published by The MIT Press
Invention of the bicycle
At the fourth conference, in Boston, Massachusetts, Oct. 11-16, 1993, David V. Herlihy presented evidence that Pierre Lallement deserves credit for putting pedals on the dandy horse instead of Pierre Michaux.
- "What does ICHC stand for? International Cycling History Conference (est. 1990)". Acronym Finder. Retrieved 2012-06-22.
- "The International Cycling History Conferences". Pedaling History Bicycle Museum. Retrieved 2012-06-22.
- "About the International Cycle History Conference". Cycle Publishing/Van der Plas Publications. Retrieved 2012-06-22.
- "21st International Cycling History Conference". Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center. Retrieved 2012-06-22.
- Berto, Frank J.; et al. (2016) . The Dancing Chain: History and Development of the Derailleur Bicycle (5th ed.). San Francisco, CA, USA: Cycle Publishing/Van der Plas Publications. ISBN 978-1-892495-77-8. Retrieved May 30, 2017.
- Berto, Frank J. (January 1, 2008). The Birth of Dirt, 2nd Edition. Cycle Publishing/Van der Plas Publications. ISBN 978-1-892495-61-7. Retrieved May 29, 2017.
- Lynne Tolman (September 5, 1993). "Lallement recognized as inventor of bicycle". Telegram & Gazette. Retrieved 2012-06-26.
- Hans-Erhard Lessing: The Leonardo da Vinci Bicycle Hoax. In: Cycle Publishing, 1997.