International Day for Biological Diversity
The International Day for Biological Diversity (or World Biodiversity Day) is a United Nations–sanctioned international day for the promotion of biodiversity issues. It is currently held on May 22.
The International Day for Biological Diversity falls within the scope of the UN Post-2015 Development Agenda's Sustainable Development Goals. In this larger initiative of international cooperation, the topic of biodiversity concerns stakeholders in sustainable agriculture; desertification, land degradation and drought; water and sanitation; health and sustainable development; energy; science, technology and innovation, knowledge-sharing and capacity-building; urban resilience and adaptation; sustainable transport; climate change and disaster risk reduction; oceans and seas; forests; vulnerable groups including indigenous peoples; and food security. The critical role of biodiversity in sustainable development was recognized in a Rio+20 outcome document, "The World We Want: A Future for All".
From its creation by the Second Committee of the UN General Assembly in 1993 until 2000, it was held on December 29 to celebrate the day the Convention on Biological Diversity went into effect. On December 20, 2000, the date was shifted to commemorate the adoption of the Convention on May 22, 1992, at the Rio Earth Summit, and partly to avoid the many other holidays that occur in late December.
Coinciding with the observance of International Day for Biological Diversity, in May 2011 Indonesian Forestry Minister inaugurated the Ciwalen Canopy Trail that is 120 metres (390 ft) long and 60 metres (200 ft) wide at an elevation of 30–40 metres (98–131 ft) above the ground at Gunung Gede Pangrango National Park, West Java, to accommodate five to ten people in one trip.
The 2014 theme of Island Biodiversity was chosen because islands provide a rich source of biodiversity for plants, animals, fish and forestry products. Many indigenous fruits and green leafy vegetables are rich in micronutrients. According to the Secretariat of the Pacific Community, two out of every three deaths can be attributed to non-communicable diseases (NCDs). These can result from a change in diets linked to consumption of highly processed imported products, while local crop species are abandoned or reduced in the local diet. As a consequence, island representatives meeting in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, in May 2014 stressed that serious consideration should be given to more research and policy action with the aim of increasing diet diversity.
|2000||Dedicated to forest biodiversity|
|2003||Biodiversity and poverty alleviation – challenges for sustainable development|
|2004||Biodiversity: Food, Water and Health for All|
|2005||Biodiversity: Life Insurance for our Changing World|
|2006||Protect Biodiversity in Drylands|
|2007||Biodiversity and Climate Change|
|2008||Biodiversity and Agriculture|
|2009||Invasive Alien Species|
|2010||Biodiversity, Development and poverty reduction|
|2013||Water and Biodiversity|
|2015||Convention on Biological Diversity|
|2016||Mainstreaming Biodiversity; Sustaining People and their Livelihoods|
|2017||Biodiversity and Sustainable Tourism|
|2018||Celebrating 25 Years of Action for Biodiversity|
|2019||Our Biodiversity, Our Food, Our Health|
|2020||Our solutions are in nature|
|2021||We're part of the solution #ForNature|
- "Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) page for IBD". Retrieved April 21, 2011.
- "Compendium of TST (Technical Support Team) Issues Briefs". docs.google.com. Retrieved May 21, 2015.
- Victor Giurgiu (September 2011). "Simpozionul "Biodiversitatea pădurilor din România", dedicat "Zilei Internaționale a Biodiversității"". Revista pădurilor (in Romanian). 126 (3–4): 104–106. ISSN 1583-7890. 16753. Archived from the original on May 22, 2014. Retrieved May 30, 2012.
- "The Millennium Ecosystem Assessment". Retrieved May 22, 2020.
- "Forestry Minister inaugurates Ciwalen Canopy Trail". Antara News. May 26, 2011. Retrieved May 22, 2020.
- "Africa, the Caribbean and the Pacific need more research and policy intervention to stem the reduction in (bio)diversity in the diet". CTA. Archived from the original on September 26, 2017. Retrieved May 22, 2014.
- "International Day for Biological Diversity – 22 May". Convention on Biological Diversity. Archived from the original on May 19, 2019. Retrieved May 22, 2019.