International Day of Families
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (May 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The International Day of Families is observed on the 15th of May every year. The Day was proclaimed by the UN General Assembly in 1993 with resolution A/RES/47/237 and reflects the importance the international community attaches to families. The International Day provides an opportunity to promote awareness of issues relating to families and to increase knowledge of the social, economic and demographic processes affecting families.
Every year, the UN secretary-general makes to the particular applicable motto attention. This was from 1996:
- 2016 - "Families, healthy lives and sustainable future"
- 2015 - "Men in charge? Gender equality and children's rights in contemporary families"
- 2014 - "Families Matter for the Achievement of Development Goals; International Year of the Family + 20"
- 2013 - "Advancing Social Integration and Intergenerational Solidarity"
- 2012 - "Ensuring work family balance"
- 2011 - "Confronting Family Poverty and Social Exclusion"
- 2010 - "The impact of migration on families around the world"
- 2009 - "Mothers and Families: Challenges in a Changing World"
- 2008 - "Fathers and Families: Responsibilities and Challenges"
- 2007 - "Families and Persons with Disabilities"
- 2006 - "Changing Families: Challenges and Opportunities"
- 2005 - "HIV/AIDS and Family Well-being"
- 2004 - "The Tenth Anniversary of the International Year of the Family: A Framework spacerspacerfor Action"
- 2003 - "Preparations for the observance of the Tenth Anniversary of the International spacerYear spacerof the Family in 2004"
- 2002 - "Families and Ageing: Opportunities and Challenges"
- 2001 - "Families and Volunteers: Building Social Cohesion "
- 2000 - "Families: Agents and Beneficiaries of Development"
- 1999 - "Families for all ages"
- 1998 - "Families: Educators and Providers of Human Rights"
- 1997 - "Building Families Based on Partnership"
- 1996 - "Families: First Victims of Poverty and Homelessness"
- Edmund Jan Osmańczyk, Anthony Mango (2003), Encyclopedia of the United Nations and international agreements, p. 699
- UN: International Day of Families
|This United Nations-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|