International Development Research Centre
|Jurisdiction||Government of Canada|
|Headquarters||150 Kent St, Ottawa, ON K1P 0B2|
|Annual budget||$191.6 m CAD (2019-20)|
|Parent department||Global Affairs Canada|
The International Development Research Centre (IDRC; French: Centre de recherches pour le développement international, CRDI) is a Canadian federal Crown corporation that funds research and innovation within and alongside developing regions as part of Canada’s foreign affairs and development efforts.
IDRC was established by the Parliament of Canada in 1970 under The International Development Research Centre Act, which directs IDRC "to initiate, encourage, support and conduct research into the problems of the developing regions of the world and into the means for applying and adapting scientific, technical, and other knowledge to the economic and social advancement of those regions."
IDRC is governed by a board of governors, whose chairperson reports to Parliament through the Minister of International Development. IDRC's head office is located in Ottawa, Ontario, with regional offices located in Montevideo, Uruguay; Nairobi, Kenya; Dakar, Senegal; Amman, Jordan; New Delhi, India.
IDRC is governed by a board of governors, whose chairperson reports to Parliament through the Minister of International Development. As the chief executive officer, the president of IDRC oversees the day-to-day operations, and also sits on the Board of Governors.
The Board includes:
- Margaret Biggs (Ottawa, ON) — Chairperson
- Chandra Madramootoo (Montreal, QC) — Vice-Chairperson
- Jean Lebel — President
- Akwasi Aidoo (Gastonia, NC, USA) — Governor
- Alex Awiti (Nairobi, Kenya)
- Mary Anne Chambers (Thornhill, ON) — Governor
- Sophie D’Amours (Quebec, QC) — Governor
- Shainoor Khoja (Dubai, UAE; Vancouver, BC) — Governor
- Purnima Mane (San Mateo, CA, USA) — Governor
- John McArthur (Vancouver, BC; Washington, DC) — Governor
- Gilles Rivard (Ottawa, ON) — Governor
- Stephen Toope (Cambridge, UK) — Governor
- Barbara Trenholm (Fredericton, NB) — Governor
- Anindya Chatterjee (Asia)
- Federico Burone (Latin America and the Caribbean)
- Barbara Shenstone (Middle East and North Africa)
- Julie Crowley (Central and West Africa)
- Kathryn Toure (Eastern and Southern Africa)
- "About IDRC | IDRC - International Development Research Centre". www.idrc.ca. Retrieved May 3, 2021.
- "Governance | IDRC - International Development Research Centre". www.idrc.ca. Retrieved May 3, 2021.