The International Federation of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine or IFCC is a global organization that promotes the fields of clinical chemistry and laboratory medicine. It was established in 1952 as the International Association of Clinical Biochemists to organize the various national societies of these fields. The organization aims to transcend the boundaries of the field of clinical chemistry and laboratory medicine, to build professionalism of members worldwide, to disseminate information on ”best practice” at various levels of technology and of economic development, to provide a forum of standardization and traceability, to enhance the scientific level and the quality of diagnosis and therapy for patients.
The IFCC membership comprises 95 national societies and is associated with 6 regional Federations, 55 corporate members and 21 affiliate members representing more than 45,000 laboratory medicine specialists worldwide.
Structure and organization
The IFCC carries out its objectives through its executive board, divisions, committees and working groups. Representatives from member organizations are volunteers, invited from throughout the world on the basis of their expertise.
Scientific Division (SD)
- Its mission is to advance the science of clinical chemistry and to apply it to the practice of Clinical Laboratory medicine
- Participate actively in the scientific programs of IFCC scientific meetings and Congresses
- Respond to scientific and technical needs of IFCC Member Societies, IFCC Corporate members and external agencies
- The Scientific Division of the IFCC instigates and promotes theoretical and practical developments in the field of standards and standardisation in clinical chemistry.
Education & Management Division (EMD)
Its mission is to provide IFCC members and the health-care community with education relevant to clinical chemistry and laboratory medicine. Current projects include:
- Visiting Lecturer Program
- Clinical Molecular Biology Courses
- Expanding knowledge in Evidence Based Medicine
- Managing the quality of Laboratory tests
- Courses and workshops in specialized areas
Communications and Publications Division (CPD)
- Its mission is to provide worldwide communication about the work of IFCC to clinical laboratory scientists, physicians and health policy –makers and to provide continuing education, materials and services.
- It is responsible for the IFCC website and the publication of the e -Journal (eJIFCC)
- The IFCC news and scientific documents are also published in peer-reviewed journals, newsletters and on the IFCC website.
Congresses and Conferences Committee (C-CC)
- Its mission is to provide administration and management of all IFCC meeting activities and to review applications for IFCC Auspices from non IFCC conferences requesting such sponsorship
- Visit the IFCC website for a database of upcoming international and regional conferences
- IFCC Reference Materials
- Distance Learning Program
- Visiting Lectureship Program
- Professional Scientific Exchange Program
- IFCC Speakers Bureau
- Roche/IFCC Travel Scholarships
- Good Laboratory Practice (GLP)
- Institute for Reference Materials and Measurements (IRMM)
- International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation
- ISO 15189
- Joint Committee for Traceability in Laboratory Medicine
- National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
- Reference values
A brief history of the IFCC and its leaders.