International Festival of Peace Poetry
The International Festival of Peace Poetry (Persian: جشنواره بین المللی شعر صلح) is an international festival held biannually in Iran. The first Peace Poetry Festival was held in Tehran on May 16, 2007, with poets from sixteen different countries participating, and the second Festival was held on May 16, 2009.
Peace Poetry Festival is the brainchild of Ms Rira Abbasi, Iranian author and poet. The organization of the Festival is supported solely by the donations of individuals and sponsorships of non-governmental organizations and relies on no state subsidy. The charter of the festival states that: "Poetry for peace is affiliated to humanity, regardless of race, religion, sex and geography."
Notes and references
- From a short report in Tehran Times of 8 May 2008  one infers that the Festival is organized by "Rira Abi Institute". The word Abi may either be a spelling error or an abbreviation of Abbasi. Remarkably, Tehran Times gives "May 15, 2009", to be contrasted with May 16, 2009, as the date for the second Festival to be held in Tehran.
- Festival Report, Peace Poetry Festival, .
- Call for Peace Poetry, Peace Poetry Festival, .
- A photograph of Rira Abbasi: .
- Some peace poems by Rira Abbasi (in English): .
- According to Tehran Times , one of the sponsors of the Festival is Cheshmeh Publishing Company. Tehran Times further states that this Company has also honoured the organizers of the Festival on 10 May 2008 during a ceremony at Iranian Artists Forum.
- Call for Peace Poetry, Peace Poetry Festival, ibid.
- International Festival of Peace Poetry website
- Festival website (in English)
- 2008 Call for Peace Poetry: (English), (Persian).
- Iranian institute calls world literati for peace poetry festival, Tehran Times, May 8, 2008.