International Harvester L-Series
|International Harvester L-Series|
|Engine||220 cu in (3.6 l) Silver Diamond I6
240 cu in (3.9 l) Silver Diamond I6
269 cu in (4.4 l) Super Blue Diamond I6
Model T9 4-speed HD manual (non-synchro)
4-speed Model T98 manual
|Wheelbase||115 in (2,921 mm) or 127 in (3,226 mm) (L-110/L1-111)
127 in (3,226 mm) (L-112)
134 in (3,404 mm) (L-130)
|Successor||International Harvester R-Series|
The International Harvester L-Series was introduced by International Harvester in fall 1949 as the replacement for the KB-Series and were available as everything from light pickup trucks and delivery vehicles to full-size tractor-trailers. Electric wipers, a radio, and a clock were optional. International would continue to produce the line until 1952 when it was replaced by the R Series.
Heavier versions such as the L-150 to L-185 models had taller bodywork to accommodate a bigger engine, beefier chassis, and larger wheels. To hide this in appearance, they receive an extra, full-width chrome grille bar underneath the other two and the headlights. The L-190-L210 models had a longer, narrower hood and taller grille than all the smaller models, surrounded by oversized fenders. These trucks were a different look although they have the same cab as the smaller trucks. Of the pickup-type bodies, these were available in 6 ft and 8 ft lengths. On L-130 models, a 9-1/2 ft long pickup bed of same design was available and accommodated dual rear wheels. Two different styles of IH factory flatbeds with removable sides were also available for sizes up to L-180. Other bodies were designed around the basic truck chassis of each series, such as the "Metro" LM120-122 and LM150-152, the "bread trucks" used by bakeries or laundries for example. They hardly resembled the L-Line. The LB-140 Milk Delivery truck was also an oddity with its looks and revolutionary semi-automatic clutch, however it had the L-line face. The LC160-162 and LC180-182 cab-over trucks, or cab-forwards" as they were then called, were another oddity of their own.
The L-series was also built in Australia, where it was called the AL-series.
The first of the marketing names
- The "Schoolmaster" : L-153, L-163, L-173, L-183, and L-193. The L-193 bus had the same nose style as the L190-up trucks.
- The "Loadstar" : First introduced in the L-Line, as the L-164, L-174, L-184, L-194, and L-204. It was the model with the heaviest capacity within each series. The "4's" were the only ones to have the "Loadstar" decal on the dash.
- The "Roadliner" : First introduced in the L-Line, assigned to the L-165, L-175, L-185, L-195, and L-205. The Roadliner was IH's specific "premier" tractor truck model "loaded" with comforts and work-ready, which means not all tractors are the "5's." It was common to see basic L-190 tractors or L-183 tractors, for example. The customer typically ordered the cab & chassis package they wanted and had a body or 5th-wheel installed elsewhere.
Mining, construction, & industrial
To further bolster its presence alongside IH's own massive line of heavy construction equipment and meet highway weight limits, the LF-170, LF-190, and LF-210 series was built. These were tandem-axle 6x4 drivetrain trucks for hauling heavier loads than their 4x2 counterparts. For example, the GVW of a L-194 is 25,500 vs the 38,000 of the LF-194.
The lighter duty versions were equipped with the all-new OHV "Silver Diamond" engines in two different sizes (220cid & 240cid), while the medium-duty versions retained the older 269 ci "Blue Diamond", also an OHV engine, although it was now called the "Super Blue Diamond" after some detail improvements. The BD-269 has the same peak power as the smallest, but offers more torque, at 222 lb·ft (301 N·m) versus 192 lb·ft (260 N·m) for the Silver Diamond 240.
- L-series specs (1949)
- Silver Diamond 220 OHV inline-six, 220.5 cu in (3,613 cc) and 100 hp (75 kW) (L-110/120/130/150)
- Silver Diamond 240 OHV inline-six, 240.3 cu in (3,938 cc) and 108 hp (81 kW) (LB-140/L150/160)
- Super Blue Diamond BD-269 OHV inline-six, 269.1 cu in (4,410 cc) and 100 hp (75 kW) (L-170/180)
- Red Diamond 372 OHV inline-six (L-190)
- Red Diamond 406 OHV inline-six (L-200/option in L-190)
- Red Diamond 450 OHV inline-six (L-210/option in L-200)
- Three speeds forward, one reverse, synchromesh column mounted
- Four speeds forward, one reverse, non-synchromesh floor mounted, Model T9
- Four speeds forward, one reverse, synchromesh floor mounted, model T98 (option in L120-L170 after 5/50)
- Five speeds forward, one reverse, non-synchromesh floor mounted (L180 series, option in L160-L170)
- Overdrive Five speeds forward, one reverse, non-synchromesh floor mounted (option in L160-L180 series)
- Electric 2-speed rear axle (option in L160-up)
- HD Five speeds forward, one reverse, synchromesh floor mounted (L190-up, overdrive optional)
- Manual 3-speed Auxiliary transmission (option in L190-up)
|Model||GVWR (lbs)||Cargo Capacity (lbs)|
|L-165||16,000 / 29,000 w/semitrailer||depends on trailer weight|
|L-175||18,000 / 33,000 w/semitrailer||depends on trailer weight|
|L-185||21,000 / 42,000 w/semitrailer||depends on trailer weight|
|L-195||24,000 / 48,000 w/semitrailer||depends on trailer weight|
|LF-195 6x4||35,000 / 55,000 w/semitrailer||depends on trailer weight|
|L-205||28,000 / 52,000 w/semitrailer||depends on trailer weight|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to International Harvester L-Series.|