|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
UNIDROIT (formally, the International Institute for the Unification of Private Law; French: Institut international pour l'unification du droit privé) is an intergovernmental organization on harmonization of private international law; its projects include drafting of international conventions and production of model laws. As of 2017 UNIDROIT has 63 member states.
UNIDROIT headquarters are located in the centre of Rome, Italy, between via Nazionale and via Panisperna, where its main entrance can be found. The institute occupies the Villa Aldobrandini, a 17th-century princely villa whose gardens were truncated by the construction of via Nazionale in the 19th century, which borders the Pontifical University of Saint Thomas Aquinas, Angelicum to the south.
States become members through acceding to its statute. The 63 members are:
|Member country||Year of joining|
|Serbia (joined as Federal Republic of Yugoslavia)||2001|
|Russia (joined as Soviet Union)||1990|
Unidroit has over the years prepared the following international Conventions, drawn up by Unidroit and adopted by diplomatic Conferences convened by member States of Unidroit:
- Convention relating to a Uniform Law on the International Sale of Goods (The Hague, 1964)
- Convention relating to a Uniform Law on the Formation of Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (The Hague, 1964)
- International Convention on Travel Contracts (Brussels, 1970)
- Convention providing a Uniform Law on the Form of an International Will (Washington, D.C., 1973)
- Convention on Agency in the International Sale of Goods (Geneva, 1983)
- Unidroit Convention on International Financial Leasing (Ottawa, 1988)
- Unidroit Convention on International Factoring (Ottawa, 1988)
- UNIDROIT Convention on Stolen or Illegally Exported Cultural Objects (Rome, 1995)
- Convention on International Interests in Mobile Equipment (Cape Town, 2001) (including Protocols on Aircraft (2001) and Railway rolling stock (2007) and Space assets (2012)
- Geneva Securities Convention (Geneva, 2009)
- "UNIDROIT Conventions". UNIDROIT. Retrieved 26 February 2012.