International Institute of Information Technology, Bangalore
|Motto||ज्ञानमुत्तमम (Knowledge is Supreme)|
|Type||Deemed University, Education and Research, Private|
|Chairman||S Gopalakrishnan (Kris)|
|Director||Prof. S. Sadagopan|
|Postgraduates||312 (M.Tech.), 171 (Integrated M.Tech), 26 (M.S. by Research) & 37 (PhD)|
|Location||Electronics City, Bangalore, Karnataka, India
|Affiliations||AICTE, NAAC, UGC|
The International Institute of Information Technology, Bangalore commonly known as IIIT Bangalore, is a premier national graduate school in India. Founded in 1999, it offers Integrated M.Tech., M.Tech., M.S. (Research) and PhD programs in the field of Information Technology. In February 2005, IIIT-B was conferred Deemed University status under Section 3 of the University Grants Commission (UGC) Act 1956. This was re-affirmed by the Tandon Committee report in October 2009, which gave (cf. Annexure VII (b) of the report) IIIT-B a score of 41 (the most given to any deemed university).
IIITB was instituted on 15 September 1999 as the Indian Institute of Information Technology, with its campus at International Tech Park (ITPL). The institute functioned at ITPL for the first four years. In August 2003, IIIT-B relocated to its present campus in Electronics City. IIITB was founded after taking inspiration from other well-established Institutes of National Importance (INI) in India. These INIs include the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs), National Institutes of Technology (NITs), and the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs). It is now listed under the Institutes of National Importance in the AICTE website.
Initially, the institute offered post graduate diplomas in Information Technology. Upon being granted deemed-to-be university status in January 2005, the institute began conferring upon students the degree of Master of Technology (M.Tech.). The name of the institute was changed to International Institute of Information Technology before becoming a university (in 2004).
IIITB is in Electronics City, Bangalore, which is one of India's largest electronic industrial parks and which houses major electronics and IT corporations that include Infosys, Wipro, Siemens, Hewlett-Packard, General Electric, and Flextronics, amongst others. The address is No. 26/C, Electronics City, Hosur Road, Bangalore 560100, Karnataka, India.
The infrastructure for IIITB's fully wired campus consists of a high-speed fiber-optic backbone connected to the internal network through a high-end gigabit Ethernet switch. Dedicated network equipment includes printers, scanners, and other equipment. Connectivity in the campus is established at two levels. First, the local intranet implements a "virtual classroom," where all the visual material, such as presentation slides used by professors in class, are made available electronically to students. All assignments and projects are announced and submitted online. The intranet also enables knowledge sharing among students.
At the second level, 24x7 Internet access is available throughout campus, in both wired and wireless modes. IIITB is one of the few institutions in India to have an active wireless LAN (and was the first to have this technology way back in 1999). Wireless-mode access is available throughout campus academic and hostel blocks using the 802.11b/g protocol. Moreover, the institute has high end computational servers. The servers provide an in-house private cloud computing infrastructure through virtualization.
IIITB is a not-for-profit society registered under the Government of Karnataka Act. The institute is governed by a board with S Gopalakrishnan, executive co-chairman, Infosys Ltd., as chairman.
Other eminent members of the board are:
- Pankaj Chandra, director, Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore
- Neelam Dhawan, managing director, HP India Pvt Ltd
- Gautam Hegde, managing director, Backend Bangalore Pvt. Ltd
- Manish Khera, CEO, Financial Information Network & Operations Ltd
- Jitendra Malik, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of California at Berkeley, U.S.A
- Som Mittal, president, NASSCOM
- B. V. Naidu, chairman, Sagitaur Ventures India Pvt Ltd
- R Rajalakshmi, STPI Bangalore and development commissioner for IT/ITES SEZs in Karnataka
- Prof. S. Sadagopan (founder director)
- K. Subrahmaniam, former president and CEO, CSC
- M. N. Vidyashankar, IAS, principal secretary to the government, Departments of Industry & Commerce
- I S N Prasad IAS, principal secretary to the government of Karnataka, Departments of IT, BT and S&T
- Kumud M Srinivasan, president, Intel India
- Sudha Murty, chairperson, Infosys Foundation
Government and industry funded labs functioning at IIIT Bangalore include Intel Planet Lab, Honeywell Control Lab, Intel Community PC Lab, HP IMS Lab, Siemens Vision Lab and HP Cluster Computing Lab.
Research projects funded by the government and by industry include ICT for development funded by the Department of Information Technology of the Government of India, the Telematics Project funded by the Department of Science and Technology of the Government of India, ICT for Development funded by Microsoft, ICT Cluster Study funded by the Liverhume Trust, Cluster Computing in University Environment funded by HP, Community PC Initiatives funded by Intel, and MONSOON & INCITE projects of the European Union.
- Centre for Data Sciences
- Centre for Electronics and Embedded Systems Lab
- Centre for Information Technology and Public Policy (CITAPP)
- Centre for Spatial Information Sciences
- Computing Systems Lab
- Mobile Computing and IMS Innovation
- Power line Communication
- Wireless Network Lab
IIIT-Bangalore offers four degree programs.
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
- Master of Technology (M.Tech.)
- Master of Science (Research)
- Integrated M.Tech in CSE & ECE.
In M.Tech program, students can opt for specialization in any of the following streams:
- Computer Science
- Data Sciences
- Embedded systems
- Electronic System Design
- Networking and Communication
- Software Engineering
Students must pursue at least three elective courses in the stream that they choose. There are a number of mandatory courses that a student needs to take irrespective of the student's specialization. Students can choose from the electives from their second semester.
- Product Thinking & Strategic Product Management
- Special Training Programme
- Post Graduate Certificate in Business Analytics
- Post Graduate Certificate In Software Testing
- The minimum qualification for Integrated M.Tech. is Plus Two (or equivalent). Admissions to the flagship M.Tech. program is solely on the basis of performance at the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering.
- The minimum qualification for M.Tech., M.S. and PhD programs is a four-year bachelor's degree in Engineering. M.Sc. and M.C.A. students are eligible to take any course in IIITB. Admission for M.Tech., M.S. and PhD program is done by an online exam followed by personal interview. People with good GATE or GRE score cards can apply directly without appearing for the written test.
- Class of 2011: GE, ABB, Intel, Infosys, Siemens and AMD
- Class of 2012: ABB, Infosys, Siemens and SocGen
- IIIT-B conducts EXCITE program to motivate high school children on Information Technology.
- ELITE is a unique training program conducted by IIIT-B to train college and university academic staff with the funding from DIT.
- IIIT-B conducted a Special Training Program (STP) on IT under funding from Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, Govt of India and Infosys Ltd.
- Academicians to ensure that the skill development is aligned to the industry expectations with focus on ready-to-apply solutions in real world.
- "UGC Act-1956" (PDF). mhrd.gov.in/. Secretary, University Grants Commission. Retrieved 1 February 2016.
- UGC Note
- Tandon Committee Report
- Website of the International Institute of Information Technology, Bangalore
- Industrial Relations
- "IIIT-Bangalore Alumni". iiitb.ac.in. 17 August 2012. Retrieved 28 August 2012.
-  www.iiitb.ac.in
- Scholarship gets a new dimension
- In the news
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to International Institute of Information Technology, Bangalore.|