International Medical and Technological University
|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (January 2016)|
|Chuo Kikuu cha Kimataifa cha Matibabu na Teknolojia (Swahili)|
|Motto||Commitment to Excellence|
|Chancellor||Sir Andy Chande|
|Vice-Chancellor||Dr. P.V. Prabhakar Rao|
|Location||Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
The owner of the university is Shri.Katuri Subba Rao, the founder & Chairman of the Vignan Educational Foundation (VEF). The VEF of Bangalore, India initiated establishment of the university in Tanzania at the behest of Julius Nyerere, the father of the Tanzania nation.
The seeds of the venture were sown by Benjamin Mkapa, the third president of Tanzania when he was the Minister for Science, Technology and Higher Education, with the support of Jakaya M. Kikwete, the fourth president of Tanzania when he was the Minister for Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation. The establishment of the university symbolizes the long-standing partnership between Tanzania and India as part implementation of the South–South cooperation.
The university commenced by establishing the College of Medicine which was inaugurated on 17 September 1997 by the prime minister of India, shri.I.K. Gujral.
The university started small with five students, all from India. It has since grown, after having been granted Certificate of Full Registration No. 009 on 20 December 2001, by the Higher Education Accreditation Council (HEAC). The number of students has grown to more than 1,000 drawn from around the world. The enrollment is very competitive on its own for undergraduates the enrollment is through a centralized system (CAS) which is governed by Tanzania Commission for University (TCU). The admission for Masters and PhD is usually done and processed within the University based on the criteria set by the University. IMTU is among the leading top University in Tanzanian and ensures quality education by abiding to all rules and regulations set by TCU.
Like any other private university in Tanzania, IMTU is governed by a Board of Trustees (constituted by the Vignan Educational Foundation of India, the owner and founder) and has a Council and a Senate. It has a School of Medicine (running the MBBS Programme) and a prospective School of Nursing (running degree and diploma programmes). It will establish a directorate of postgraduate programmes as well as an Institute of Allied Health (and Technological) Sciences in its five-year strategic plan.
The university has a chancellor, a council chairman (who is a trustee), and a vice chancellor (who is the chief executive officer). There are two deputy vice chancellors (for academics and administration), as well as a dean (Faculty of Medicine), and heads of departments.
In accordance with TCU directives, IMTU is in the process of re-organizing its organizational and functional structures to comply with the provisions of the Tanzania Universities Act of 2005, including having a new charter.
IMTU has a hospital which is managed by a director.
- Chancellor: Andy Chande, KBE
- Council Chairman and Trustee: N/A
- Vice Chancellor: Dr. P.V. Prabhakar Rao, M.D
- Deputy Vice Chancellor – Academics:
- Deputy Vice Chancellor – Prof. Daniel Mtnago, M.D
- Dean, Faculty of Medicine: Prof Isaac Umapathy, M.sc., M.Phil
- Vacant Council Chairman and Trustee
- Vacant Council Vice Chairman
- Dr Deo M Mtasiwa: former Chief Medical Officer, AFYA
- Prof Willbard S Abeli: Director of Higher Education, ELIMU
- George R W Nyatega: Executive Director HESLB
- Prof. Esther Mwaikambo: Former Vice Chancellor HKMU
- Hon Rita Mlaki, Member of Parliament for Kawe
- Mwele N Malecela: Chief Research Scientist, NIMR
- Dr Rose Kingamkono: Director of Research, COSTECH
- Representative of IMTUSO (Male):
- Representative of IMTUSO (Female):
- Vacant Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic)
- Prof Daniel Mtnago, Deputy vice chancellor (Administration)
- Prof F F Taylor, Dean Faculty of Medicine
- Manager Administration
Members of IMTU senate Wef: September 2008
- Naidu, Vice chancellor
- Vacant, DVC academics
- Prof Daniel Mtnago, DVC Admin
- Prof Isaac Umapathy, Dean Faculty of Medicine
- Halima, Ag Head Prospective faculty of Nursing
- Dr Eliasa Ag HoD, Department of Surgery
- Dr M E Massawe, Department of Medicine
- Dr Manyanga, Coordinator OBGY
- Vacant,Dr.Mgaya HoD Pathology
- Prof V D Mathur, HoD Physiology
- Dr,Isaac Umapathy HoD Microbiology
- Dr Dr.B Nagaraju, HoD Pharmacology
- Prof S. Kaaya, Vice Chancellor MUHAS
- Director IMTU hospital
- IMTUSO representative (male)
- IMTUSO representative (Female)
- Manager Administration