|International Non-Binary People's Day|
|Observed by||Non-binary community and supporters|
|Next time||14 July 2024|
|Related to||International Transgender Day of Visibility, International Men's Day, International Women's Day, Non-Binary Week|
International Non-Binary People's Day is observed each year on 14 July and is aimed at raising awareness and organising around the issues faced by non-binary people around the world. The day was first celebrated in 2012, started by Katje van Loon. The date was chosen for being precisely midway between International Men's Day and International Women's Day.
Most countries in the world do not recognize non-binary as a legal gender, meaning most self-identified non-binary people still have a passport matching their assigned sex and official identification. Australia, Argentina, Bangladesh, Canada, Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands, New Zealand, and the United States include non-binary gender options on passports, and 23 US states plus Washington DC allow residents to mark their gender as 'X' on their driving licence.
Non-Binary Awareness Week is the week starting on the Monday preceding International Non-Binary People's Day on 14 July. This is an LGBTQ+ awareness period dedicated to those who do not identify with the traditional gender binary, i.e. those who do not exclusively identify as a man or a woman, or who may identify as both a man and a woman, or may identify outside of these categories altogether.
- Discrimination against non-binary people
- List of LGBT awareness periods
- Gender identity
- Gender expression
- Third-person pronoun
- International Women's Day, March 8
- International Men's Day, November 19
- Kacala, Alexander (14 July 2019). "International Non-Binary People's Day Celebrates Gender Non-Conforming People". Newsweek. Retrieved 2020-07-13.
- Campaign, Human Rights (11 July 2019). "Breaking Binaries this International Non-Binary Day". Human Rights Campaign. Retrieved 2020-07-13.
- "International Non-Binary People's Day". Public and Commercial Services Union. Archived from the original on 2020-07-15. Retrieved 2020-07-13.
- Jake (25 February 2020). "When is International Non-Binary Day in 2020?". www.thegayuk.com. Retrieved 2020-07-13.
- "'Why I invented Non-binary Day'". BBC News. 2022-07-13. Retrieved 2022-07-14.
- Mathers, Charlie (13 July 2018). "Prepare for International Non-binary Day by learning how to be a better ally". Gay Star News. Archived from the original on 2018-07-14. Retrieved 2020-07-13.
- "International Non-Binary People's Day 2020". Equality Policy Unit. Retrieved 2020-07-13.
- "X Gender Markers by State". Lambda Legal. 10 July 2021. Retrieved 10 July 2021.
- Proctor, Kate (13 July 2020). "Calls for 'X' gender option in UK passports to be raised in Commons". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2020-07-13.
- "Non-Binary Week – Activist Bookshelf". Activist Bookshelf. Archived from the original on 2021-11-29. Retrieved 2023-01-03.
- "Non-Binary Week — Ygender". Ygender. Archived from the original on 2022-03-05. Retrieved 2023-01-03.
- Abby Jones. "Happy Non-Binary Week: 9 Non-Binary and Genderqueer Indie Musicians You Need to Know". Pop Dust. Retrieved 31 December 2020.
- "Non-Binary Awareness Week! (12th -18th July)". Rakshin Project. Archived from the original on 25 February 2021. Retrieved 31 December 2020.