International Old Catholic Bishops' Conference
|Internationale Altkatholische Bischofskonferenz|
|Formation||September 24, 1889|
|Founded at||Utrecht, Netherlands|
|Archbishop Joris Vercammen|
|Union of Utrecht of the Old Catholic Churches|
The International Old Catholic Bishops' Conference or International Bishops' Conference (IBC) is the synod of bishops of Union of Utrecht of the Old Catholic Churches (UU) member churches. It is analogous to but not a metropolia. It is similar to the Lambeth Conference of the Anglican Communion. Like the Lambeth Conference, it is not a legislative body.
According to the UU, the responsibilities of the IBC include:
- maintain community between member churches of the UU
- "taking a stand in controversial questions of faith and related ethical behaviours as well as in church order"
- make formal authoritative UU statements about faith and principles
- regulate ecumenical "relationships with other churches and religious communities"
- accept churches into the UU
- accept bishops into the IBC
The bishops of UU member churches meet yearly.
- "IBC". utrechter-union.org. Utrecht, NL: Utrechter Union der Altkatholischen Kirchen. Archived from the original on 2016-03-22. Retrieved 2016-04-30.
- Smit, Peter-Ben (2011). Old Catholic and Philippine independent ecclesiologies in history: the catholic church in every place. Brill's Series in Church History. 52. Leiden: Brill (Brill European History and Culture E-Books Online). doi:10.1163/ej.9789004206472.i-548.19. ISBN 9004206477.
- Official website (the bishops' conference page on utrechter-union.org)