International Plant Names Index
|International Plant Names Index|
Type of site
|Owner||Plant Names Project|
|Created by||The Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, Harvard University Herbarium, and the Australian National Herbarium|
|469,881 (April 2014[update])|
The International Plant Names Index (IPNI) describes itself as "a database of the names and associated basic bibliographical details of seed plants, ferns and lycophytes." Coverage of plant names is best at the rank of species and genus. It includes basic bibliographical details, associated with the names, and its goals include eliminating the need for repeated reference to primary sources for basic bibliographic information about plant names.
The IPNI also maintains a list of standardized author abbreviations. These were initially based on Brummitt & Powell (1992), but new names and abbreviations are constantly added.
IPNI is the product of a collaboration between The Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew (Index Kewensis), The Harvard University Herbaria (Gray Herbarium Index), and the Australian National Herbarium (APNI). The IPNI database is a collection of the names registered by the three cooperating institutions and they work towards standardizing the information. The standard of author abbreviations recommended by the International Code of Nomenclature for algae, fungi, and plants is Brummitt and Powell’s Authors of Plant Names. A digital and continually updated list of authors and abbreviations can be consulted online at IPNI.
The IPNI provides names that have appeared in scholarly publications, with the objective of providing an index of published names rather than prescribing the accepted botanical nomenclature. The Plant List, a complementary project which was unveiled in 2010, aims to determine which are accepted species names.
- "Ipni.org Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- "Index Kewensis". International Plant Name Index. Retrieved 21 November 2011.
- Lughadha, Eimear Nic (29 April 2004). "Towards a working list of all known plant species". Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B: Biological Sciences 359 (1444): 681–687. doi:10.1098/rstb.2003.1446. PMC 1693359. PMID 15253353. ISSN 0962-8436, ISSN 1471-2970. Retrieved 21 November 2013.
- Croft, J.; Cross, N.; Hinchcliffe, S.; Lughadha, E. Nic; Stevens, P. F.; West, J. G.; Whitbread, G. (May 1999). "Plant Names for the 21st Century: The International Plant Names Index, a Distributed Data Source of General Accessibility". Taxon 48 (2): 317. doi:10.2307/1224436. ISSN 0040-0262. Retrieved 21 November 2013.
|Wikidata has a property, P961, for International Plant Names Index plant identifiers (see uses)|
|Wikidata has a property, P586, for International Plant Names Index author identifiers (see uses)|
- Official website of the IPNI
- Plant Name search – IPNI search for plant names
- Author search – IPNI search for author names and standard abbreviations