International Literacy Association
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Headquarters||Newark, Delaware, United States|
The International Literacy Association (ILA), formerly the International Reading Association (IRA), is an international professional organization that was created in 1956 to improve reading instruction, facilitate dialogue about research on reading, and encourage the habit of reading.
The organization, whose headquarters are in Newark, Delaware, United States, has approximately 300,000 members from 84 countries , and more than 1,250 councils and affiliates, worldwide. Membership fees range from 24 to 39 dollars, plus fees for journal subscriptions. Discounted subscription rates are available for residents of developing economies. The current ILA President is Professor Douglas Fisher. He was as Vice President of the ILA Board of Directors between 2016 and 2017. 
- The Reading Teacher — for those working with children to age 12
- Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy — for teachers of older learners
- Reading Research Quarterly — publishes contributions in literacy research
- Reading Today, the ILA's membership magazine, was published from 1983 to 2011 as a bi-monthly membership newspaper. From the 2011 August/September issue forward, the publication was split into two parts: a bi-monthly print magazine and an interactive digital e-zine on the Reading Today website.
Special Interest Groups
The International Reading Association has over 40 special interest groups for members.
Awards and Grants
ILA offers a number of awards and grants for educators, researchers, and authors.
The ILA has been recognized by the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) since 1978; the ILA was reclassified to have Consultative Status with UNESCO in 1996 and continues to hold this status.
The International Literacy Association hosts an annual conference.
- "About IRA". Reading.org. Retrieved 2012-08-19.
- "Councils and Affiliates". Reading.org. Retrieved 2012-08-19.
- "Join IRA". Reading.org. Retrieved 2014-03-22.
- "IRA Books". Reading.org. Retrieved 2012-08-19.
- "IRA E-books". Reading.org. Retrieved 2012-08-19.
- "IRA Webinars - Common Core State Standards Webinar Series". Reading.org. Retrieved 2012-08-19.
- "Reading Online". Reading Online. Retrieved 2012-08-19.
- "Reading Today Online". Reading.org. Retrieved 2014-03-22.
- "Special Interest Groups". Reading.org. Retrieved 2012-08-19.
- "IRA Awards and Grants". Reading.org. Retrieved 2012-08-19.
- "IRA/UNESCO". ngo-db.unesco.org. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
|This article about an education organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an international organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|