International Resources for the Improvement of Sight
|Founder||Michele Claudel, John Stewart|
|Focus||Prevention of blindness and restoration of sight|
|Origins||France, US, UK|
|Roger Biggs (Chief Executive), John Sandford-Smith, Andy Richards (Trustees)|
International Resources for the Improvement of Sight (IRIS) is an International NGO that specializes in prevention of blindness and restoration of sight. It was founded in 1996 by Michele Claudel and John Stewart. It was initially founded to help people in Cambodia without access to eye care, it has since expanded to Nepal, Lao PDR and Sri Lanka. IRIS equips new eye clinics, strengthens existing ones, conducts eye screening, provides cataract surgery for poor people, primary eye care training for staff.
IRIS has partnered with other NGOs to provide funding for services, such as with The Vision Charity in Sri Lanka. IRIS has also partnered with the Cambodian government program National Program for Eye Health in establishing eye clinics. Another partner is the International Centre for Eyecare Education.
As of December 2008, the combined total of IRIS clinic and eye camp programs since its inception in Cambodia had resulted in 125,319 people receiving eye examinations and 23,485 surgeries being performed free of charge, 15,291 of which were to remove cataracts.
- "Ambassador Visits Pailin Eye Camp And Minilab". Embassy of the United States, Phnom Penh, Cambodia. July 9, 2009. Archived from the original on February 17, 2013. Retrieved August 27, 2012.
- Hilber del Pozzo Carla (December 1, 2009). "IRIS - GW Project evening of 23.11.09". Giving Women. Archived from the original on January 14, 2012. Retrieved August 27, 2012.
- "Vision Charity fund Sri Lankan Premature Baby Ocular Examination & Treatment Area at the Centre for Sight in Kandy". The Vision Charity. Retrieved August 27, 2012.
- "National Program for Eye Health: Report on the Prevention of Blindness 2006". National Program for Eye Health (Govt of Cambodia). 1 February 2007. Retrieved August 27, 2012.[permanent dead link]
- ICEE - Cambodia
- "New Year Honours 2012: full list of recipients". The Telegraph. 31 Dec 2011. Retrieved August 27, 2012.
- International Resources for the Improvement of Sight, official website
- IRIS videos at YouTube
- IRIS Cambodia 2004