International Society for Ethnology and Folklore
International Society for Ethnology and Folklore (French: Societé Internationale d’Ethnologie et de Folklore or SIEF) is a professional association of scholars in the fields of ethnology, folklore studies and cultural anthropology based in Europe (Amsterdam). Within its framework various special interest working groups are active: on cultural heritage, religion, rituality, cultural analysis etc. The organisation was established in 1964 based on an earlier Commission des Arts et Traditions Populaires (CIAP) founded in 1928 under the auspices of the League of Nations. The current president of SIEF is ethnologist/folklorist Valdimar Hafstein from Iceland, elected together with the vice-presidents Peter Jan Margry and Clara Saraiva on July 3, 2013.
The A-level journal Ethnologia Europaea is since 2015 the SIEF journal.
- 13th Congress: Göttingen (Germany), 2017.
- 12th Congress: Zagreb (Croatia), 21-25 June 2015: Utopias, Realities, Heritages. Ethnographies for the 21st Century .
- 11th Congress: Tartu (Estonia), 30 June - 3 July 2013: 'Circulation'
- 10th Congress: Lisbon, 17-21 April 2011: 'People Make Places: Ways of Feeling the World' (approx. 950 delegates)
- 9th Congress: Derry (UK), 16–20 June 2008: “Transcending 'European Heritages': Liberating the Ethnological Imagination” (approx. 300 delegates)
- 8th Congress: Marseille, 26–30 April 2004: “Among Others. Conflict and Encounters in Europe and the Mediterranean”
- 7th Congress: Budapest, 23–28 April 2001: “Times, Places, Passages”
- 6th Congress: Amsterdam, 20–25 April 1998: “Roots and Rituals. Managing Ethnicity”
- 5th Congress: Vienna, 12–16 September 1994: “Ethnisierung von Kultur(en)”
- 4th Congress: Bergen, 19–23 June 1990: “Tradition and Modernisation”
- 3rd Congress: Zürich, 8–12 April 1987: “The Life cycle”
- 2nd Congress: Suzdal (USSR), 30 September - 6 October 1982: open theme
- 1st Congress: Paris, 24–28 August 1971: “Ethnologie européenne“
|This article about a professional association is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|