International Society for Reef Studies
The International Society for Reef Studies (ISRS) is an international, not-for profit, scientific organisation dedicated to the conservation of coral reefs through science and understanding. The ISRS was founded in 1980, with the primary objective of improving scientific knowledge and understanding of coral reefs, both living and fossil.
To achieve its objectives the ISRS prints and distributes the journal Coral Reefs  as well as a Society newsletter Reef Encounter. The ISRS also holds annual meetings and co-sponsors other gatherings, symposia and conferences relating to coral reefs. The ISRS is the main sanctioning organisation for the International Coral Reef Symposium (ICRS), held every four years, and is the world's largest and premier forum for the dissemination and discussion of coral reef science, management and conservation.
The last ICRS, The 12th International Coral Reef Symposium (12ICRS), was held 9–13 July 2012 in Cairns, Australia. Previous ICRS were held in Fort Lauderdale (2008), Okinawa (2004), Bali (2000), Panama (1996), Guam (1992), Australia (1988), Tahiti (1985), the Philippines (1980), Miami (1977), Australia (1974), and the 1st ICRS in India (1969). Published proceedings of the ICRS are available at ReefBase.
Medals and awards
The Darwin Medal, the most prestigious award given by the International Society for Reef Studies, is presented every four years at the International Coral Reef Symposium. It is awarded to a senior ISRS member who is recognized worldwide for major contributions throughout her/his career. The metal has been awarded 7 times.
- "Coral Reefs - incl. option to publish open access". Springer.com. Retrieved 2012-10-23.
- ISRS, International Society for Reef Studies, Morgan.email@example.com. "ISRS, International Society for Reef Studies". Research2.fit.edu. Retrieved 2012-10-23.
-  Archived October 1, 2009 at the Wayback Machine
- "11th International Coral Reef Symposium". Nova.edu. Retrieved 2012-10-23.
- "International Coral Reef Symposium (ICRS) Proceedings". ReefBase. 2012-07-13. Retrieved 2012-10-23.
- ISRS: The Darwin Medal