International Society of Nephrology
|Focus||Nephrology, Kidney Disease, Global Health, Education|
|Slogan||Advancing Nephrology Around the World|
The International Society of Nephrology (ISN) is an international body representing specialists in nephrology (kidney diseases). Its headquarters are located in Brussels, Belgium and New Jersey, United States. Since its foundation in 1960, the ISN has pursued the worldwide advancement of education, science and patient care in nephrology, the medical subspecialty dealing with the Kidneys).
The Society represents a wide international network and provides an efficient platform for timely scientific exchange, debate and dissemination between healthcare professionals around the world. It is also dedicated to addressing the disparity between the developing and developed worlds in the research, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of kidney disease.
The ISN has over 9,000 professional members from more than 126 countries. In addition, the ISN closely collaborates with over 75 national and regional nephrology societies around the world, representing about 20,000 professionals.
The ISN continues to develop and consolidate several programs, initiatives and partnerships that will help to further deliver on its two overarching goals: reducing the incidence and impact of kidney disease worldwide, and making the ISN the leading international organization for all issues related to the science and practice of global nephrology.
In 1992 the society formed a task force to provide emergency dialysis services in areas struck by disasters (usually earthquakes), where numerous victims may develop acute renal failure due to crush syndrome. Supported by Médecins Sans Frontières, industry sponsors and professional associations, the Renal Disaster Relief Task Force sends renal nurses, technicians and doctors to the affected area. Since its establishment, it has assisted in a number of major earthquakes in several countries.
Current and Past Leadership
The current leadership of the ISN includes John Feehally (president), Adeera Levin (secretary general), Victor Schuster (treasurer), Giuseppe Remuzzi (president elect) and Luca Segantini (executive director).
- Solez K, Bihari D, Collins AJ, Eknoyan G, Eliahou H, Fedorov VD, Kjellstrand C, Lameire N, et al. (1993). "International dialysis aid in earthquakes and other disasters" (PDF). Kidney International. 44: 479–483. doi:10.1038/ki.1993.271. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- Lameire N, Mehta R, Vanholder R, Sever M (2003). "The organization and interventions of the ISN Renal Disaster Relief Task Force". Adv Ren Replace Ther. 10 (2): 93–9. PMID 12879369. doi:10.1053/jarr.2003.50012.
- "Professor John Feehally". Retrieved 2011-12-11.
- "Adeera Levin". Retrieved 2011-12-11.
- "Giuseppe Remuzzi". Retrieved 2011-12-11.