International Stuttering Awareness Day
October 22 was designated International Stuttering Awareness Day (ISAD) in 1998. The day is intended to raise public awareness of the millions of people – one percent of the world's population – who have the speech disorder of stuttering.
ISAD is organised by three organizations:
- European League of Stuttering Associations
- International Fluency Association
- International Stuttering Association
ISAD includes an online conference, running annually from October 1 to 22 each year, targeted at people with an interest in stuttering as well as speech-language pathologists and their clients. The conferences, held every year since 1998, are all still available online.
In an article published in the UK magazine Community Care to mark International Stuttering Awareness Day, Irina Papencheva from the Bulgarian Stuttering Association and Phil Madden from the European Association of Service Providers for Persons with Disabilities demanded a fresh start in attitudes towards stammering, saying that "everyone has the responsibility to be aware, to be sensitive in our conversations and meetings" and to remember that stuttering is "not funny".
- Sugarman, Michael (August 2004). "International Stuttering Awareness Day – ISAD from conception to present day". Minnesota State University, Mankato, United States. Archived from the original on 5 December 2004. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- "Journée mondiale du BÉGAIEMENT: Un trouble du langage à la rencontre d'autrui". Sante log. Roubaix, France. 22 October 2012. Retrieved 30 October 2012.
- Bush, Lawrence (21 October 2012). "October 22: International Stuttering Awareness Day". Jewish Currents. Archived from the original on 11 December 2014. Retrieved 30 October 2012.
- "UWE academic takes part in online stuttering conference" (Press release). University of the West of England, Bristol, UK. 25 September 2007. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- "Nosením zelenej stužky sa dá vyjadriť pochopenie pre koktavých ("Wearing green ribbons can express sympathy for stuttering")". Topky. Bratislava, Slovakia. 20 October 2012. Retrieved 30 October 2012.
- "International Stuttering Awareness Day (ISAD): October 22". International Stuttering Association. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- "Stutter group's daredevil stunt". The Epworth Bells and Crowle Advertiser. Epworth, Lincolnshire, UK. 25 October 2012. Retrieved 30 October 2012.
- "3% of the population stutters in Cameroon". 237online.com. Douala, Cameroon. 23 October 2012. Archived from the original on 16 January 2013. Retrieved 30 October 2012.
- Papencheva, Irina; Madden, Phil (21 October 2012). "International Stammering Awareness Day; stuttering is not funny". Community Care. London. Archived from the original on 20 April 2013. Retrieved 31 October 2012.