International Transport Forum
The International Transport Forum (ITF) is an inter-governmental organisation within the OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development) system. It acts as a think tank for global transport policy issues and organises an annual summit of transport ministers. Before 2007, the International Transport Forum existed for over 50 years as the European Conference of Ministers of Transport (ECMT; French: Conférence européenne des ministres des Transports, CEMT).
The organization brings together 59 member countries with the aim to advance the global transport policy agenda, and ensure that it continues to contribute to sustainable development, prosperity, social inclusion and the protection of human life and well-being. It works to facilitate the exchange of information internationally and to improve the capacity for decision making in member countries. Most recent member states are Argentina, Israel and Morocco (which joined in in 2015) and Kazakhstan and the United Arab Emirates (which joined in 2017))
In its think tank role, the organization provides policy makers and the global transport community with evidence-based insights on transport policy issues. Its work is underpinned by economic research, statistics collection and policy analysis carried out by its in-house Research Centre, often in collaboration with researchers from academia, business and government. The Research Centre's programme of work focuses on environmental sustainability, road safety, efficiency, logistics, traffic congestion and infrastructure, among other themes. The Research Centre is headed by Mr Stephen Perkins (United Kingdom)..
Every year, the Annual Summit of the International Transport Forum brings together ministers from member countries and invited countries in Leipzig, Germany, to debate a specific, transport-related theme with leaders from industry, civil society and the research community. The 2018 Summit attracted 1300 participants from 80 countries, including 40 Ministers. At their Annual Summit, transport ministers of ITF member countries adopt an official Ministerial Declaration on policies relating to the Summit theme. Past Summits have focused on:
- Climate Change (2008, Presidency Finland)
- Globalisation (2009, Presidency Turkey)
- Innovation (2010, Presidency Canada)
- Transport for Society (2011, Presidency Spain)
- Seamless Transport (2012, Presidency Japan)
- Funding Transport (2013, Presidency Norway)
- Changing World (2014, Presidency France)
- Transport, Trade and Tourism] (2015, Presidency New Zealand)
- Green and Inclusive Transport (2016, Presidency Denmark) see Declaration by Ministers on Green and Inclusive Transport,19 May 2016
- Governance of Transport (2017, Presidency Mexico)
The 2018 Summit on Transport Safety and Security under the Presidency of Latvia will be held from 23-28 May 2018 in Leipzig, Germany.
The International Transport Forum's Secretariat is based at the OECD's headquarters in Paris, France. On 1 June 2017, the Council of Ministers of Transport of the International Transport Forum elected Mr Young Tae Kim (Korea) as ITF's Secretary-General. He succeeds José Viegas (Portugal) who led the ITF's Secretariat from 2012 to 2017..
- "Organisation for European Economic Co-operation". OECD. Retrieved 2009-09-02.
- "International Transport Forum". Retrieved 2009-10-09.
- "International Transport Forum: Publications". Retrieved 2011-04-28.
- "International Transport Forum: Statistics". Retrieved 2011-04-28.
- "International Road Traffic and Accident Database". Retrieved 2011-04-28.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-05-12. Retrieved 2009-09-04.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-04-29. Retrieved 2009-09-04.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-10-16. Retrieved 2009-10-08.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-05-01. Retrieved 2011-04-28.
- "International Transport Forum’s 2012 Summit". internationaltransportforum.org. Retrieved 28 November 2016.
- "Home - International Transport Forum’s 2013 Summit". internationaltransportforum.org. Retrieved 28 November 2016.
- "Home - International Transport Forum's 2014 Summit". internationaltransportforum.org. Retrieved 28 November 2016.
- "International Transport Forum’s 2016 Summit. 18-20 May 2016. Leipzig, Germany". internationaltransportforum.org. Retrieved 28 November 2016.