International Transport Forum
The International Transport Forum (ITF) is an inter-governmental organisation within the OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development) system. It acts as a think tank for global transport policy issues and organises an annual summit of transport ministers. Before 2007, the International Transport Forum existed for over 50 years as the European Conference of Ministers of Transport (ECMT; French: Conférence européenne des ministres des Transports, CEMT).
The organization brings together 57 member countries with the aim to advance the global transport policy agenda, and ensure that it continues to contribute to sustainable development, prosperity, social inclusion and the protection of human life and well-being. It works to facilitate the exchange of information internationally and to improve the capacity for decision making in member countries. Most recent member states are Argentina, Israel and Morocco in 2015.
In its think tank role, the organization provides policy makers and the global transport community with evidence-based insights on transport policy issues. Its work is underpinned by economic research, statistics collection and policy analysis carried out by its in-house Joint Transportation Research Centre, often in collaboration with researchers from academia, business and government. The Research Centre's programme of work includes focus on environmental sustainability, road safety, efficiency, logistics, traffic congestion and infrastructure, among other themes. The Research Centre maintains the International Road Traffic and Accident Database (IRTAD), a comprehensive database of statistics related to road safety. The Research Centre is headed by Mr Stephen Perkins (United Kingdom).
Every year, the Annual Summit of the International Transport Forum brings together ministers from member countries in Leipzig, Germany, to debate a specific, transport-related theme with leaders from industry, civil society and the research community. Past Summits have focused on
- Climate Change (2008, Presidency Finland)
- Globalisation (2009, Presidency Turkey)
- Innovation (2010, Presidency Canada)
- Transport for Society (2011, Presidency Spain)
- Seamless Transport (2012, Presidency Japan)
- Funding Transport (2013, Presidency Norway)
- Changing World (2014, Presidency France)
- Transport, Trade and Tourism] (2015, Presidency New Zealand)
- Green and Inclusive Transport (2016, Presidency Denmark)
The 2017 Summit on Governance of Transport under the Presidency of Mexico, will be held on 31 May to 2 June 2017 in Leipzig, Germany.[needs update]
The International Transport Forum's Secretariat is based at the OECD's headquarters in Paris, France. At the ministerial session of the International Transport Forum on 3 May 2012, transport ministers elected Mr José Viegas (Portugal) as Secretary-General. He took office on 13 August 2012.
- "Organisation for European Economic Co-operation". OECD. Retrieved 2009-09-02.
- "International Transport Forum". Retrieved 2009-10-09.
- "International Transport Forum: Publications". Retrieved 2011-04-28.
- "International Transport Forum: Statistics". Retrieved 2011-04-28.
- "International Road Traffic and Accident Database". Retrieved 2011-04-28.
- http://www.internationaltransportforum.org/Topics/forum2008.html[dead link]
- http://www.internationaltransportforum.org/2009/forum2009.html[dead link]
- http://www.internationaltransportforum.org/2010/index.html[dead link]
- http://www.internationaltransportforum.org/2011/index.html[dead link]
- "International Transport Forum's 2012 Summit". internationaltransportforum.org. Retrieved 28 November 2016.
- "Home - International Transport Forum's 2013 Summit". internationaltransportforum.org. Retrieved 28 November 2016.
- "Home - International Transport Forum's 2014 Summit". internationaltransportforum.org. Retrieved 28 November 2016.
- "International Transport Forum's 2016 Summit. 18-20 May 2016. Leipzig, Germany". internationaltransportforum.org. Retrieved 28 November 2016.