International Youth Year
- Not to be confused with International Year of Youth which has been held since 2010.
The year 1985 was proclaimed by the United Nations as the International Youth Year, or IYY. It was held to focus attention on issues of concern to and relating to youth. The proclamation was signed on January 1, 1985 by United Nations Secretary General Javier Pérez de Cuéllar.
Throughout the year, activities took place all over the world. These activities were coordinated by the Youth Secretariat within the Centre for Social Development and Humanitarian Affairs, at the time based at the UN offices in Vienna, Austria. The Secretariat's director, Mohammad Sharif, was also the Executive Secretary for IYY. The President of IYY was Nicu Ceauşescu, son of the then dictator of Romania Nicolae Ceauşescu
While not organising any specific events itself, under the year's slogan of "Participation, Development, Peace", the IYY Secretariat helped facilitate numerous events helping to make IYY a success. On October 11, 1985 the Secretary General of the UN, Javier Pérez de Cuéllar, in his report to the General Assembly, summarised the principal activities for IYY.
The main UN event for IYY was the World Congress on Youth (in Spanish: Congreso Mundial Sobre La Juventud) organised by UNESCO and held in Barcelona, Spain July 8-15, 1985. It issued the "Barcelona Declaration" on youth.
Other international events mentioned in the Secretary General's report (October 11, 1985 A/40/701):
- International Youth Conference and World Youth Festival (Kingston, Jamaica, April 6-10, 1985). Issued the "Kingston Declaration" on youth.
- Friendly Gathering of Youth, (Beijing, China, May 10-24, 1985)
- 12th World Festival of Youth and Students, (Moscow, USSR, July 27-August 3, 1985)
- International Youth Year Conference on Law (Montreal, August 5-9, 1985)
- International Year of the Child
- United Nations International Years
- Portumna ‘85 Irish Scout Jamboree
Notes and references
- Final Report of the World Congress on Youth, p. 126. http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0006/000684/068409eb.pdf
- Report of the Secretary General on International Youth Year to the General Assembly" (UN/GA Document A/40/701, October 11, 1985)
- Kesler, Charles R. "No fun in the sun", National Review, 1985-06-14. Retrieved on 2009-01-01.
-  Image of a West German post stamp from 1985 featuring the emblem of the International Youth Year.
- General Assembly resolution declaring IYY
- General Assembly resolution to continue work of IYY
- UN Youth Unit
- Dilecti Amici, Apostolic Letter of Pope John Paul II to the Youth of the World on the Occasion of International Youth Year on March 31, 1985