International organisations in Africa
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The following table lists the independent African states, and their memberships in selected organisations and treaties.
high income ($12,276 or more)
higher middle income ($3,976 - $12,275)
lower middle income ($1,006 - $3,975)
low income ($1,005 or less)
"Name of Organisation" (member states)
x (former members)
Applied (members that have applied to an organisation)
- Only 57 sovereign states are listed, including Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic, Somaliland, and Azawad which are not UN members
- Gross National Income, List of countries by GNI (nominal, Atlas method) per capita World Development Indicators database  , World Bank, , revised 17 October 2008  GNI per capita 2008, Atlas method and PPP; Country classification - low income ($995 or less), lower middle income ($996 - $3,945) upper middle income ($3,946 to $12,195), high income ($12,196 or more)
- The different currencies of Africa
- The United Nations is a world-wide organisation with 193 members, see also; Universal Declaration of Human Rights
- 54 Members of the African Union
- Community of Sahel-Saharan States is numbering 28 out of 57 African countries.
- The Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa contains 19 of the 54 member states of the African Union.
- The Southern Africa Development Community has 16 pof the 54 African Union members.
- The Economic Community of West African States has 15 of the 54 members of the African Union.
- The Economic Community of Central African States has 10 of the 54 members of the African Union.
- The West African Economic and Monetary Union is an organization within the ECOWAS containing 8 members.
- The Intergovernmental Authority on Development contains 8 African Union members.
- The Economic and Monetary Community of Central Africa is an organization within the ECCAS containing 6 of its members.
- The West African Monetary Zone contains 6 of the 54 members of the African Union.
- The East African Community contains 5 of the 54 African Union members.
- The Southern African Customs Union contains 6 of the 54 African Union member states.
- The Arab Maghreb Union contains 5 of the 57 countries in Africa.
- The Mano River Union contains 4 members of the African Union.
- The Economic Community of the Great Lakes Countries contains 3 members of the African Union.
- The Liptako–Gourma Authority contains 3 members of the African Union