Canada ranks among the highest in international measurements of government transparency, civil liberties, quality of life, economic freedom, education levels, gender equality, public services, public security and environmental sustainability. It ranks among the lowest of the most developed countries for housing affordability, healthcare services and foreign direct investment.
Note: Below each survey uses a limited number of countries/region's for its assessments, see "Measurement(s)" for number variables.
|U.S. News & World Report||Best Countries report||2||99.3/ 100||Measures adventure, agility, cultural Influence, entrepreneurship, heritage, political and individual freedom, social purpose and quality of life in the 80 most developed countries.||2022|
|Anholt-Ipsos||Nation branding||3||70.32/ 100||Measures national competence, governance, immigration and investment, people; exports, tourism and culture in the 50 most developed countries||2022|
|Fund for Peace||Fragile States Index||3||-||Measures risk and vulnerability of individuals of 179 countries||2022|
|U.S. News & World Report||Agility||3||94.1/ 100||Measures Individuals, businesses and governments adaptability to change in the 80 most developed countries||2022|
|The Conference Board of Canada||Old-age standard of living||3||Score of "A" - range A to D||Measures standard of living for the elderly in the 15 most developed countries. Note: "Poverty among the elderly in Canada is at 6.7 per cent, much lower than for children or the working-age population."||2018|
|U.S. News & World Report||Best Countries for Education||4||-||Measures quality of education in the 80 most developed countries||2022|
|State of World Liberty Project||State of World Liberty Index||4||Top 5%||Degree of economic and personal freedoms of 183 countries||2021|
|Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development||OECD Better Life Index||4||-||Measures wellbeing, environmental quality, quality of public services and security of the 36 most developed countries:||2020|
|International Comparisons (OECD)||Social justice||4||7.1 / 10||Arithmetic average of individual indicators of a "Just society" of the 40 most developed countries:||2020|
|U.S. News & World Report||Social Purpose||5||-||Measures social progressiveness, inclusiveness and committed to social justice in the 80 most developed countries||2022|
|OECD||Tertiary education||5||-||Based on those 25- to 64-year-olds having completed tertiary education of the 50 most developed countries:||2019|
|The Economist||Democracy Index||5||9.24 / 10 (Full democracy)||Measures pluralism, civil liberties and political culture of 167 countries||2020|
|United Nations||Good Country Index||6||-||Measure how much each country contributes to the planet and to the human race, relative to its size (measured in GDP) of 125 countries||2020|
|Social Progress Imperative||Social Progress Index||6||91.41/ 100 - Tier 1 of 6||Measures well-being of a society of 132 countries||2021|
|The Economist||Global Food Security Index||7||79.1/ 100||Measures food affordability, availability, quality, safety, sustainability and adaptation of 109 countries||2022|
|The Heritage Foundation||Index of Economic Freedom||9||77.9 / 100||Based on the rule of law, government size, regulatory efficiency and open markets of 178 countries||2021|
|Institute for Economics and Peace||Global Peace Index||10||1.330 / Qualitative scale out of 5||Measures overall peacefulness of 162 countries||2021|
|Transparency International||Corruption Perceptions Index ||11||77 / 100||Based on public sector corruption of 175 countries & territories||2021|
|UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network||World Happiness Report||11||7.232 / 10||Based on (quality of) life factors of 156 countries||2021|
|Georgetown University||Women, Peace and Security Index||12||0.879/ 1.0||Measures women’s well-being—inclusion (economic, social, political); justice (formal laws and informal discrimination); and security (at the family, community, and societal levels)||2021|
|Travel Safe - Abroad||Safest countries Index||12||88 / 100||Measures public safety based on the number of incidents including mugging, drugs, violent crimes, bribery, property crimes, stolen vehicles, religion, and racial tolerance of 163 countries||2022|
|Theglobaleconomy.com||Public services index||12||-||Measures quality of public services of 177 countries||2022|
|International Institute for Management Development||Most competitive economies||13||-||Economic indicators such as gross domestic product (GDP), unemployment and healthcare / education of the 67 most developed countries||2019|
|Reporters Without Borders||Press Freedom Index||14||-||Level of freedom available to journalists of 180 countries||2021|
|World Economic Forum||Global Competitiveness Index||14||79.6 / 100||Measures level of prosperity of citizens of 144 economies||2019|
|Legatum||Prosperity Index||15||78.99/ 100||Measures wealth, economic growth, education, health, personal well-being, and quality of life of 167 countries||2021|
|United Nations Development Programme||Human Development Index||15||-||Based on life expectancy, education, and per capita income of 187 countries. Note: Norway has been ranked the highest sixteen times, Canada eight times, Japan and Iceland twice and Switzerland once. See Human Development Index#Past top countries||2021|
|World Intellectual Property Organization||Global Innovation Index||15||-||Measures success in innovation of 143 countries||2021|
|World Population Foundation||Best Countries To Live||16||0.929 / 1.0||Measures equality among genders, literacy, average life expectancy, and financial stability of 146 countries||2022|
|World Economic Forum||Global Gender Gap Report||19||0.772 /0-1||Measures gender equality of 142 countries||2020|
|Yale and Columbia Universities||Environmental Performance Index.||20||71/100||Environmental performance of 178 countries||2020|
|World Bank||Ease of doing business index||23||79.14 /100
|Regulatory environment of 189 countries||2021|
The freedom indices produced by several non-governmental organizations publishes assessments of political rights and civil liberties for countries around the world.
|Freedom in the World 2022||2022 Index of Economic Freedom||2022 Press Freedom Index||2021 Democracy Index|
|Free||Mostly free||Satisfactory situation||Full democracy|
Press freedom in 2022 according to Reporters Without Borders
Democracy Index map in 2020 according to The Economist Intelligence Unit
|Freedom in the World||free||partly free||not free|
|Index of Economic Freedom||free||mostly free||moderately free||mostly unfree||repressed|
|Press Freedom Index||good situation||satisfactory situation||noticeable problems||difficult situation||very serious situation|
|Democracy Index||full democracy||flawed democracy||hybrid regime||authoritarian regime||authoritarian regime|
Lowest rankings of the most developed countries
A developed country (or industrialized country) has a high quality of life, developed economy and advanced technological infrastructure relative to other less industrialized nations. Note: Below each survey uses a limited number of countries for its assessment, see "Notes" for country number variables.
|OECD||Nominal house prices||1||Most unaffordable housing of the 38 most developed countries||Comparing average home prices to average incomes. See also Lists of countries by GDP per capita||2022|
|Rewheel||Most expensive wireless costs||1||4G and 5G prices of the 50 most developed countries||Measures wireless costs||2021|
|OECD||Lowest amount of acute care beds||1||Comparing the healthcare systems of the 9 most developed countries||Measures acute care beds per capita||2021|
|International Energy Agency||Fuel-inefficient vehicles||1||Ranked against the 53 most developed countries||Measures the fuel economy of private cars from 2005 to 2017||2019|
|Commonwealth Fund||Worst healthcare system||2||Comparing the healthcare systems of the 11 most developed countries, Canada ranked 10th - second -to-last.||Measures access to care, care process, administrative efficiency, equity, and health care outcomes||2021|
|University of Calgary||Worst corporate tax system||2||Ranked against the 94 most developed countries||Measures openness to foreign direct investment||2020|
Maps of indices
Better Life Index 2020
Good Country Index 2020
Global Peace Index 2022
2020 Legatum Prosperity Index.
Income inequality Gini index 2020
- Canadian values
- Censorship in Canada
- Economy of Canada
- Freedom of expression in Canada
- Freedom of religion in Canada
- Healthcare in Canada
- Human rights in Canada
- LGBT rights in Canada
- Women's rights in Canada
- "Overall Best Countries Ranking". U.S. News & World Report L.P.
- Ipsos (2022). "Global Press Release" (Press release). Retrieved 2022-01-14.
- "Fragile States Index | The Fund for Peace". fragilestatesindex.org.
- "Social Purpose". U.S. News & World Report L.P. Retrieved 15 November 2021.
- "Elderly Poverty". Conferenceboard.ca. Retrieved 2022-11-16.
- "Best Countries for Education". U.S. News & World Report L.P. Retrieved 15 November 2021.
- "2021 State of World Liberty Index". 29 April 2021.
- "OECD Better Life Index Raw Data 2020". OECD.
- "Social Justice – International Comparisons".
- "Social Purpose". U.S. News & World Report L.P. Retrieved 15 November 2021.
- "OECD.Stat Education and Training > Education at a Glance > Educational attainment and labor-force status > Educational attainment of 25-64 year-olds". OECD.
- "Democracy Index 2020". Economist Intelligence Unit.
- "Social Progress Imperative".
- "Global Food Security Index (GFSI)". Global Food Security Index (GFSI). September 20, 2022.
- "Country Rankings: World & Global Economy Rankings on Economic Freedom". www.heritage.org.
- "Global Peace Index 2021" (PDF). Institute for Economics & Peace. June 2021. pp. 9–10. Retrieved 24 July 2021.
- "Corruption Perceptions Index (latest)". Transparency International. Retrieved 28 January 2021.
- "World Happiness Report 2021". worldhappiness.report. 20 March 2021.
- "The 2021 Women, Peace and Security Index".
- "Most Dangerous and Safest Countries Index ⋆ Travel Safe - Abroad".
- "Public services index by country, around the world".
- "Rankings published by the World Competitiveness Center - IMD". IMD business school.
- "2020 World Press Freedom Index | Reporters Without Borders". RSF. 30 January 2013.
- "The Global Competitiveness Report 2019" (PDF).
- "The Legatum Prosperity Index™". Legatum Institute Foundation. Retrieved 18 November 2021.
- Human Development Report 2021-22: Uncertain Times, Unsettled Lives: Shaping our Future in a Transforming World (PDF). 8 September 2022. pp. 272–276. ISBN 978-9-211-26451-7. Archived (PDF) from the original on 8 September 2022. Retrieved 8 September 2022.
- WIPO (2022). Global Innovation Index 2022, 15th Edition. doi:10.34667/tind.46596. ISBN 9789280534320. Retrieved 2022-10-18.
- "Best Countries To Live In 2021". worldpopulationreview.com.
- "Global Gender Gap Report 2021" (PDF). World Economic Forum. Retrieved 30 March 2021.
- "2020 EPI Results". Environmental Performance Index. Retrieved 22 November 2020.
- "Rankings". World Bank.
- "Freedom in the World Research Methodology". Freedom House.
- <"Democracy Index 2020". Economist Intelligence Unit. Feb 10, 2022. Retrieved Nov 16, 2022.
- Heritage Foundation (2021). "Country Rankings". 2021 Index of Economic Freedom. Archived from the original on 2017-09-16. Retrieved 2014-08-07.
- "Press Freedom Index 2022" Archived 2015-10-30 at the Wayback Machine, Reporters Without Borders, May 2022.
-  Archived 2021-03-03 at the Wayback Machine, Economist, January 2021. Retrieved 20 April 2021.
- "What is a Developed Country?". WorldAtlas. April 23, 2018.
- Source: Prices: Analytical house price indicators. "Prices - Housing prices - OECD Data". Data.oecd.org. Retrieved 2022-08-14.
- "The state of 4G and 5G pricing, 2H2021 – country rankings" (PDF). Rewheel.
- "OECD Interactive Tool: International Comparisons — Peer countries, Canada | CIHI". Cihi.ca. Retrieved 2022-08-14.
- "Fuel Economy in Major Car Markets: Technology and Policy Drivers 2005-2017 – Analysis". IEA.
- 🖉Schneider, Eric C.; Shah, Arnav; Doty, Michelle M.; Roosa Tikkanen; Fields, Katharine; Williams II, Reginald D. (August 4, 2021). "Mirror, Mirror 2021:// Reflecting Poorly". www.commonwealthfund.org. doi:10.26099/01dv-h208.
- Mintz, Jack; Bazel, Philip (2021). "View of 2020 TAX COMPETITIVENESS REPORT: CANADA'S INVESTMENT CHALLENGE". The School of Public Policy Publications. Journalhosting.ucalgary.ca. 14 (1). doi:10.11575/sppp.v14i1.72311. Retrieved 2022-08-14.
- Alexander Cooley; Jack Snyder, eds. (30 April 2015). Ranking the World. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-1-107-09813-8.
- Leopold Ringel; Wendy Espeland; Michael Sauder; Tobias Werron, eds. (22 July 2021). Worlds of Rankings. Emerald Group Publishing. ISBN 978-1-80117-105-2. OCLC 1259592387.
- Judith G. Kelley; Beth A. Simmons, eds. (19 March 2020). The Power of Global Performance Indicators. Cambridge University Press. pp. 236–. ISBN 978-1-108-48720-7.
- OECD (19 December 2017). OECD Environmental Performance Reviews: Canada 2017. OECD Publishing. ISBN 9789264279612. OCLC 1076681500.
- OECD (11 March 2021). OECD Economic Surveys: Canada 2021. OECD Publishing. ISBN 9789264804791. OCLC 1252064553.
- OECD; Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (2018). Gender Equality in Canada: Mainstreaming, Governance and Budgeting. OECD. ISBN 9789264301092. OCLC 1047619017.