Internaut is a portmanteau of the words Internet and astronaut and refers to a designer, operator, or technically capable user of the Internet. Beginning with participants in the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), it gradually expanded to members of the Internet Society (ISoc) and the larger community[which?].
An internaut is online savvy, typically through years of online experience, with a thorough knowledge of how to use search engines, Internet resources, forums, newsgroups and chat rooms to find information. The more someone knows about the Internet, its history and politics, the more likely the term internaut fits them. The less he or she knows the more likely a different term would be more fitting. Other terms roughly analogous with internaut are cybernaut and netizen, though each has its own connotation. The common thread among them, however, is an implication of experience and knowledge of the Internet or cyberspace that goes beyond the casual user. The French, however, use the term to describe any Internet user.
The creation of the World Wide Web by Tim Berners-Lee enabled non-technical computer experts to use the Internet in a simple and quick way, making it accessible to billions of people around the world.
The internaut's day
The Internaut day is celebrated on August 23, anniversary of the World Wide Web, which was developed in the CERN laboratories (Enquire / EV project) in Switzerland during 1989 - 1990, and opened to new users after that day in 1991.
- "Oxford Dictionaries - internaut". oxforddictionaries.com. Retrieved 6 June 2015.
- A Brief History of the Internet from the Internet Society.
- "Inventing the Web: Tim Berners-Lee’s 1990 Christmas Baby" Seeing the Picture.
- "Short summary of the World Wide Web project"
- Sofroniou, Andreas. SURFING THE INTERNET, THEN, NOW, LATER. p. 23. ISBN 978-1291776539. Retrieved 11 June 2015.
- Sofroniou, Andreas. Integration of Information Technology. p. 178. Retrieved 11 June 2015.
|This Internet-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|