The data was collected by infiltrating Internet devices, especially routers, that used a default password or no password at all. It was named after Carna, "the Roman goddess for the protection of inner organs and health".
The Carna Botnet creator believes that with a growing number of IPv6 hosts on the Internet, 2012 may have been the last time a census like this was possible.
Of the 4.3 billion possible IPv4 addresses, Carna Botnet found a total of 1.3 billion addresses in use, including 141 million that were behind a firewall and 729 million that returned reverse domain name system records. The remaining 2.3 billion IPv4 addresses are probably not used.
Number of hosts by top level domain
Amongst other, Carna Botnet counted the number of hosts with reverse DNS names observed from May to October 2012. The top 20 Top Level Domains were:
|Number of hosts||Top Level Domain|
- Stöcker, Christian; Horchert, Judith (2013-03-22). "Mapping the Internet: A Hacker's Secret Internet Census". Spiegel Online.
- Kleinman, Alexis (2013-03-22). "The Most Detailed, GIF-Based Map Of The Internet Was Made By Hacking 420,000 Computers". Huffington Post.
- Internet Census 2012: Port scanning /0 using insecure embedded devices, Carna Botnet, June - Oktober 2012
- Read, Max (2013-03-21). "This Illegally Made, Incredibly Mesmerizing Animated GIF Is What the Internet Looks Like". Gawker. Archived from the original on 2013-03-24.
- Thomson, Iain (2013-03-19). "Researcher sets up illegal 420,000 node botnet for IPv4 internet map". The Register.
- Guerilla researcher created epic botnet to scan billions of IP addresses With 9TB of data, survey is one of the most exhaustive — and illicit — ever done. by Dan Goodin, arstechnica, Mar 20, 2013
- Exploring Visible Internet Hosts through Census and Survey ("LANDER" study) by John Heidemann, Yuri Pradkin, Ramesh Govindan, Christos Papadopoulos, Joseph Bannister. USC/ISI Technical Report ISI-TR-2007-640. see also http://www.isi.edu/ant/address/ and video
- Forschung mit illegalem Botnetz: Die Vermessung des Internets Christian Stöcker, Judith Horchert, Der Spiegel, 21.03.2013
- Top Level Domains. Internet Census 2012
- Internet Census 2012: Port scanning /0 using insecure embedded devices, Carna Botnet, June — October 2012
- All of the data can be found on GitHub, BitBucket, SourceForge, and Interent Archive.