Intersex Day of Remembrance
|Intersex Day of Remembrance|
|Also called||Intersex Solidarity Day|
|Observed by||Intersex community|
|Next time||8 November 2018|
|Related to||Intersex Awareness Day|
Intersex Day of Remembrance, also known as Intersex Solidarity Day, is an internationally observed civil awareness day designed to highlight issues faced by intersex people. It marks the birthday of Herculine Barbin, a French intersex person whose memoirs were later published by Michel Foucault in Herculine Barbin: Being the Recently Discovered Memoirs of a Nineteenth-century French Hermaphrodite.
The event appears to have begun on November 8, 2005, as Intersex Solidarity Day, following an invitation issued by Joëlle-Circé Laramée, then Canadian spokeswoman for Organisation Intersex International. The Organisation invited organisations and groups and individuals to show solidarity by marking: the life of Herculine Barbin, or discussing intersex genital mutilation, "the violence of the binary sex and gender system" and/or "the sexism implicit within the binary construct of sex and gender".
While Intersex Awareness Day on October 26 appears to be celebrated more in English-speaking countries, particularly in North America, Intersex Day of Remembrance has been marked mostly in Europe. Some countries, such as Australia and South Africa, mark both events and the days between as "14 days of intersex".
In 2012, the New South Wales Parliament acknowledged the day. Linda Burney, a Member of the Legislative Assembly, also commended Organisation Intersex International Australia as part of a motion noting the day.
In 2014, Literaturhaus Salzburg, Austria, is the venue for an Intersex Solidarity Day event. A similar event was held at University of Salzburg in 2013. On Intersex Solidarity Day 2016, OII Europe launched a new visibility website, InterVisibility.eu, with material on intersex in 23 European languages.
- "Solidarity-Events". Organisation Intersex International. Archived from the original on 2006-02-06. Retrieved 2017-01-10.
- Intersex Awareness Day calls for equality and end to bigotry Archived 2013-12-31 at the Wayback Machine., Gay Star News, 26 October 2012. Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- The 14 days of intersex Archived 2017-06-11 at the Wayback Machine., Star Observer, 25 October 2011.
- Intersex Day of Remembrance Archived 2014-10-06 at the Wayback Machine., New South Wales Parliament, 29 May 2012. Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- (in German) 1. Inter*Tagung Salzburg 7. und 8.11.2014 Archived 2014-10-06 at the Wayback Machine., HOSI. Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- Intersex Solidarity Day 2014 Archived 2014-10-06 at the Wayback Machine., Official Salzburg Travel Guide. Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- (in German) 8. November: Intersex Solidarity Day Archived 2014-10-06 at the Wayback Machine., HOSI, 4 November 2013. Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "Intervisibility European project launched". Intersex Day. November 8, 2016. Archived from the original on January 11, 2017.
- "InterVisibility European Intersex Visibility Works!". OII Europe. 2016. Archived from the original on 2016-11-14.