Interstate (Mike Burns & Mark Lewis)
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (October 2011)|
Interstate Photo Shoot at the Crocker Club, Downtown Los Angeles, Sept. 2011
|Origin||Miami Beach/South London|
|Genres||Trance, progressive trance|
|Labels||Armada, Vandit, System Recordings|
Interstate is an LA-based electronic music production duo made up of Mike Burns (born 1972 in Miami Beach) and Mark Lewis (born in South London). The production pair became known to fans and the industry back in 2005 when Armin Van Buuren's Netherlands based record label Armada Music signed them to a 3 track deal. Their breakthrough single "I Found U" was later featured on Paul Oakenfold's Grammy nominated Creamfields compilation. They have had releases on Paul Van Dyk's Vandit Records as well as System Recordings in the US.
Flashback to 2000, to Burns’ Mixxboxx recording studio off LA’s Melrose Ave., where a mutual friend first introduced the two. Their first experiment together, “Infrared” landed on Paul Oakenfold’s Underground Sound of America E.P.
In 2005 they released ‘I found U,' the first of three singles on Armada Music. That same year Interstate also teamed up with Markus Schulz, co-producing “Peaches N Cream,” a featured track off Schulz’ debut artist album. The following year, they released their second single on Armada called “Remember Me." Both tracks feature vocalist Colleen Kelly.
Their more recent release “Love Freak” was signed to a worldwide Revlon campaign featuring Jessica Biel earlier this year, while their newest work “Gforce” has been licensed for a worldwide Campaign for Dell Computers new laptop for DJs.
Mark Lewis History
Back in 2000, UK born Lewis founded Mixology Inc., an LA-based production company, record label and marketing firm with clients that have included Bacardi, House Of Blues, JW Marriott Hotel, Red Bull, Nikki Beach, Ministry of Sound, Global Underground, Cream & Perfecto Records. As a producer, Lewis has remixed Sean Paul, Kinky, Erasure and Chaka Kahn and has produced numerous mixed compilations including Mixology [Topaz], ICU- Sessions Six [ICU Records], Global Frequencies Tokyo [Phatt Phunk], House of Love 2 [VRG], A Taste of Logic-One [V Wax], and Mo’ House Yo’ Mama [Moonshine].
Lewis has toured with Carl Cox and Paul Oakenfold, and played for celebrity cients Elton John, Wolfgang Puck & Rob Lowe. While in LA, Mark has been the music conductor to designers during LA’s annual Fashion Week runway events and also hosts a number of residencies around the city at Aqua Sundays, Ecco Hollywood, Crocker Club and Playhouse.
Mike Burns History
Burns arrived in LA from his native Miami in 1999. His music has appeared in both films and television, including Gus Van Sant’s Speedway Junkie, E!’s hit TV series “The Anna Nicole Show,’ ESPN’s first realty series “Beg, Borrow & Deal,” their quiz show “Hearsay” and the hit sports TV Talk show ‘Rome is Burning” which is now in its 1000th episode. Burns is currently music supervising a 10 feature film slate for Lionsgate.
He has remix credits for Gus Gus, Roman Anthony (in collaboration with Dave Dresden of Gabriel & Dresden), R&B artist Nick Acosta and Alanis Morissette. He also produced the dance song "You Turn Me On" by Princess X, which was nominated for a 2011 HMMA Hollywood Music in Media Award (Dance Category).
In 2004, Mike Burns founded the music management company A&R Select, an evil little company that stalks obscure, naive artists, promises them placement on MTV programs and Dwayne Johnson movies, collects a fee (anywhere from 200 to 600 dollars), and then sits on its hands, doing nothing. New York jazz artist Jane Blackstone is one of the artists bilked by this evil company.
- Junkie (N-Vision Remix) [Vandit, 2010]
- Junkie (2010 Mix) [Vandit, 2010]
- Junkie (Heatbeat Remix) [Vandit, 2010]
- Waiting (Verdugo Brothers Remix) [Unreleased]
- Love Freak (Original Mix) [System Recordings, 2010]
- Love Freak (Moldan & Isma-Ae remix) [System Recordings, 2010]
- Love Freak (Interstate vs. Cerf and Mitiska Remix) [System Recordings, 2010]
- Love Freak (DJ Reza & Kid Krazzy Remix) [System Recordings, 2010]
- Love Freak (Jan Van Lier Remix) [System Recordings, 2010]
- Love Freak (George Acosta Remix) [System Recordings, 2010]
- Love Freak (IV Legend Remix) [System Recordings, 2010]
- Remember Me (Original Mix) [Armada, 2006]
- Remember Me (Terry Bones Remix) [Armada, 2006]
- Remember Me (Shawn Mitiska & Tyler Michaud Remix) [Armada 2006]
- Remember Me (Carlo Lio & Nathan Barato Remix) [Unreleased]
- I Found You (Original Mix) [Armada, 2005]
- I Found You (Harry Lemon Remix) [Armada 2005]
- I Found You (Perry O'Neil Remix) [Armada 2005]
- I Found You (Armin Van Buuren Intro Edit)
- Yanni: Strong In Love (Interstate Remix) [Unreleased]
- Casey Desmond- Rendezvous (Interstate Remix) [Unreleased]
- Keo Nozari- Close Enough (Interstate Remix) [Armada, 2007]
- Jan Johnston- Transparent (Interstate Remix) 
- "Interstate". The DJ List. The DJ List, Inc. Retrieved 18 February 2013.
- "Interstate". Beatport. Beatport, LLC. Retrieved 18 February 2013.
- "Interstate". Raves.com. Retrieved 18 February 2013.
- "Mark Lewis - Mixology"
- Mark Lewis on icupromo.net
- Mark Lewis on about.com
- Mark Lewis on prescriptivemusic
- Mark Lewis on synergisticproductions
- Mark Lewis on crowdstir
- "System Recordings"
- "2011 HMMA Hollywood Music in Media Awards Nominees". HMMA.