Interstate 235 (Kansas)
I-235 highlighted in red
|Auxiliary route of I-135|
|Maintained by KDOT|
|Length||16.52 mi (26.59 km)|
|South end||I-135 / US-81 in Wichita|
| K-42 in Wichita|
US-54 / US-400 in Wichita
K-96 in Wichita
|North end||I-135 / US-81 / K-15 / K-96 / K-254 in Wichita|
Interstate 235 (I-235) in Kansas is a 16.52-mile-long (26.59 km) north–south bypass spur route of I-35 that travels through the western part of Wichita. Its northern terminus is at an interchange with K-96 and I-135/U.S. Highway 81 (I-135/US-81) north of the city, where the freeway continues east as K-254. The southern is at I-135/US-81 shortly before US-81 separates from I-135 and I-135 connects to I-35 (here known as the Kansas Turnpike) at I-135's own southern terminus.
Aside from the Kansas Turnpike, I-235 is the first component of the Interstate Highway System to be built in Wichita. The vast majority of its length, running from its original southern terminus at the Kansas Turnpike to the Broadway Avenue interchange in north Wichita, was built in 1960–61 and was open to traffic by 1962. The remaining unbuilt length, connecting Broadway Avenue to the northern terminus, was open to traffic by July 1965. The short length of I-235 between the Turnpike interchange and the present I-135/I-235 split later became part of I-135.
|0.000||0.000||—||I-135 / US-81 south to I-35 / Kansas Turnpike||Southern terminus; I-135 exit 1C|
|1A||I-135 / US-81 north – Salina||Southbound exit and northbound entrance|
|5.140||8.272||5||K-42 (Southwest Boulevard)|
|6.989||11.248||7||US-54 / US-400 (Kellogg Avenue)||Signed as exits 7A (east) and 7B (west)|
|9.325||15.007||9||13th Street North west||Northbound exit and southbound entrance|
|11.697||18.824||11||25th Street North|
|14.118||22.721||13||K-96 west – Hutchinson, Valley Center||South end of K-96 overlap|
|16.516||26.580||16A||I-135 / US-81 / K-15 south / K-96 east||North end of K-96 overlap; northbound exit and southbound entrance; I-135 exit 11B|
|16B||I-135 / US-81 / K-15 north – Salina||Northern terminus; left exit; I-135 exit 11B|
|—||K-254 east – El Dorado||Continuation beyond I-135|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- Oglesby, Scott (n.d.). "3-digit Interstates from I-35". Kurumi. Retrieved February 23, 2005.
- Adderly, Kevin (January 30, 2018). "Table 2: Auxiliary Routes of the Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways as of December 31, 2017". Route Log and Finder List. Federal Highway Administration. Retrieved April 11, 2018.
- Google (July 9, 2010). "Interstate 235 (Kansas)" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved July 9, 2010.
- "Kansas DOT map insets for 1960, 1961, and 1962". Kansas Department of Transportation. Retrieved October 5, 2014.
- Staff (2017). "Pavement Management Information System". Kansas Department of Transportation. Retrieved June 11, 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Interstate 235 (Kansas).|