|Length:||316.36 mi (509.13 km)|
|West end:||I-57 in Pulleys Mill, IL|
| I-65 in Nashville, TN
I-40 in Nashville, TN
I‑59 in Wildwood, GA
|East end:||I-75 in Chattanooga, TN|
|States:||Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia|
Interstate 24 (I-24) is an Interstate Highway in the Midwestern and Southeastern United States. It runs diagonally from Interstate 57 (10 miles south of Marion, Illinois) to Chattanooga, Tennessee, at Interstate 75. As an even-numbered Interstate, it is signed as an east-west route, though the route follows a more southeast-northwest routing.
Because the routing of I-24 is diagonal, the numbering is a bit unusual as it does not completely follow the Interstate Highway System numbering conventions.
I-24 makes up the majority of a high-traffic corridor between St. Louis, Missouri, and Atlanta. This corridor utilizes Interstate 64 and Interstate 57 northwest of I-24, and Interstate 75 southeast of I-24.
In the state of Illinois, Interstate 24 is a remote, four-lane freeway that travels through hilly rural southern Illinois and the Shawnee National Forest. There are only five mainline exits; of those five, four have services. Interstate 24 crosses into Kentucky via the Interstate 24 Bridge from Metropolis, Illinois, to Paducah, Kentucky.
In the state of Kentucky, Interstate 24 runs from Paducah to the Tennessee border just northwest of Clarksville. Along its route are Kentucky Dam, which forms Kentucky Lake, and Barkley Dam, which forms Lake Barkley, Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area ("LBL"; under the management of the US Forest Service), and Fort Campbell.
Interstate 69 runs concurrently with Interstate 24 for 17 miles from the Purchase Parkway in Calvert City to the Western Kentucky Parkway near Eddyville. Additionally, the planned Interstate 66 routing is proposed to run concurrent with Interstate 24 in the Eddyville-to-Paducah corridor.
One of the most notoriously hazardous stretches of Interstate Highway in the United States is approximately 40 miles (64 km) west of Chattanooga on I-24 in Monteagle, where the highway goes over the Cumberland Plateau. Compared to grades elsewhere, Monteagle's 4- to 6-percent grade does not come close to the steepest highway roads (for example, the Siskiyou Pass along Interstate 5 in Oregon), but the slope is protracted over a distance of several miles.
Interstate 124 is an occasional (currently unsigned) designation of a portion of the US 27 freeway, which runs as a spur into downtown Chattanooga and beyond. Also in Chattanooga is the Ridge Cut, a 0.25 mile (0.40 km) section of Missionary Ridge between the 4th Avenue exit and the Germantown–Belvoir exit.
In the state of Georgia, Interstate 24 runs for 4 miles (6 km), running along the southern flank of Raccoon Mountain and intersecting with Interstate 59 before turning back north to the Tennessee River and around the northern flank of Lookout Mountain. The exits remain numbered according to Tennessee's mileposts. However, the mileposts are Georgia's mileposts.
This segment is also officially State Route 409.
- I‑57 west-northwest of Pulleys Mill
- CR 12 (Tunnel Hill Road) southeast of Goreville
- US 45 southwest of Bloomfield and northeast of Vienna
- IL 146 in Vienna
- CR 10 (Big Bay Road) southeast of New Columbia and southwest of Big Bay
- US 45 east of Metropolis
- KY 305 west of Paducah
- US 60 in Paducah
- US 45 / US 62 in Paducah, north of Lone Oak
- KY 1954 south of Woodlawn-Oakdale
- US 68 southeast of Reidland
- I-69 / Purchase Parkway south of Calvert City. I-69 travels concurrently with I-24 to near Eddyville. (I-24 42MM)
- US 62 in Calvert City
- KY 453 northwest of Lake City and Grand Rivers, southeast of Smithland
- US 62 / US 641 / KY 93 in New Kuttawa
- I-69 / Western Kentucky Parkway south of Eddyville
- KY 293 west-southwest of Princeton
- KY 139 south of Princeton
- US 68 / KY 80 near Cadiz and Cerulean
- KY 117 south of Gracey, north of Newstead, and west-southwest of Hopkinsville
- Pennyrile Parkway southwest of Hopkinsville
- US 41A south of Hopkinsville and north of Fort Campbell
- KY 115 northeast of Oak Grove and south-southwest of St. Elmo
- SR 48 northeast of Clarksville
- US 79 in Clarksville
- SR 237 east of Clarksville
- SR 76 in Clarksville and north of Sango
- SR 256 southwest of Adams
- SR 49 in Pleasant View
- US 431 north-northeast of Nashville
- SR 45 west of Madison
- SR 155 (Briley Parkway) southwest of Madison and north of Nashville
- I‑65 in Nashville. The highways travel concurrently through Nashville.
- US 31W / US 431 in Nashville
- I‑40 in Nashville. The highways travel concurrently through Nashville.
- US 41 / US 70S in Nashville
- I‑440 in Nashville
- US 231 in Murfreesboro
- US 41 northwest of Manchester
- US 41 in Manchester
- US 64 southwest of Pelham. The highways travel concurrently to Kimball.
- US 64 / US 72 in Kimball
- I‑59 west of Lookout Mountain
- US 41 / US 64 / US 72 in Chattanooga
- US 27 in Chattanooga. The highways travel concurrently through Chattanooga.
- US 11 / US 41 / US 64 / US 72 in Chattanooga
- US 41 / US 76 in Chattanooga
- I‑75 in Chattanooga
|Length:||1.97 mi (3.17 km)|
Interstate 124 (I-124) is the unsigned designation of the U.S. Route 27 freeway in Chattanooga, Tennessee, north of I-24 to the Tennessee River.
|Length:||11.2 mi (18.0 km)|
Interstate 24 Business (BL 24) is a 11-mile (18 km) business loop of I-24 that runs through downtown Paducah, Kentucky. that begins at I-24 and US 60 at exit 4 and ends at I-24 and KY 1954 at exit 11. The route follows US 60, US 60 Bus., and KY 1954.
- Federal Highway Administration (October 31, 2002). "Table 1: Main Routes of the Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways as of October 31, 2002". Route Log and Finder List. Federal Highway Administration. Retrieved March 28, 2007.
- Google (February 15, 2008). "overview map of I-24" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved February 15, 2008.
- Oregon Department of Transportation. "Interstate 5: Interesting Facts". Oregon Department of Transportation. Retrieved September 26, 2007.
- Tennessee Department of Transportation (May 1, 2007). "Fiscal Years 2008-2010 Transportation Improvement Program". Tennessee Department of Transportation.
- Google (July 4, 2014). "Business Loop 24" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved July 4, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Interstate 24.|
- Geographic data related to Interstate 24 at OpenStreetMap
- Illinois Highway Ends: Interstate 24
- Official State of Tennessee Road Map
|Browse numbered routes|
|← IL 23||IL||US 24 →|
|← US 23||list||US 25 →|