Interstate 94 in Minnesota
Interstate 94 highlighted in red
|Maintained by Mn/DOT|
|Length:||259.49 mi (417.61 km)|
|West end:||I‑94 / US 52 at the North Dakota state line|
| US 75 at Moorhead
US 59 at Fergus Falls
MN 27 / MN 29 at Alexandria
US 71 at Sauk Centre
MN 15 / MN 23 at St. Cloud
I-35W at Minneapolis
I-35E at Saint Paul
|East end:||I-94 / US 12 at the Wisconsin state line|
|Counties:||Clay, Wilkin, Otter Tail, Grant, Douglas, Todd, Stearns, Wright, Hennepin, Ramsey, Washington|
In the U.S. state of Minnesota, Interstate 94 runs 259 miles (417 km) east–west through the central portion of the state. The route connects the cities of Moorhead, Fergus Falls, Alexandria, St. Cloud, Minneapolis, and Saint Paul.
Traveling southeast from Moorhead, there are several places where the elevation of I-94 rises slightly; these are "beaches" that formed as the glacial lake rose or fell. Finally, at Rothsay, I-94 climbs the last beach line and enters terrain more typical for Minnesota. From Rothsay to the Twin Cities, the terrain of I-94 is rolling with frequent lakes visible from the highway.
From St. Cloud to Minneapolis, it's difficult to tell where the sprawl from one city ends and the other begins. Monticello is roughly the midpoint, and is an exurb for both St. Cloud and Minneapolis. Between exits 201 (Albertville) and 194 (Monticello) sits the Minnesota Road Research Facility. While traveling eastbound on the highway, Minneapolis and Saint Paul alternate as control cities, which is rare on any highway system.
Upon arrival to the Twin Cities, I-94 first approaches Minneapolis from the north, then the highway turns east after passing through the Lowry Hill Tunnel and heads to Saint Paul while traveling east. Upon leaving Saint Paul, the route travels through suburban Washington County and exits the state into Wisconsin.
Legally, the Minnesota section of Interstate 94 is defined as unmarked Legislative Route 392 in the Minnesota Statutes § 161.12(4). Interstate 94 is not marked with this legislative number along the actual highway.
Concurrencies and reroutes
- 40 miles (64 km) north of the Twin Cities near Albertville, the Minnesota Department of Transportation (Mn/DOT) operates the Minnesota Road Research Facility, which studies the effect of traffic on various road surface types. Westbound traffic is redirected onto 3.5 miles (5.5 km) of pavement outfitted with thousands of sensors. There is a straight-through bypass (the original highway) that can be used when researchers are examining the road up close.
- U.S. Highway 52 is invisibly concurrent with Interstate 94 between the city of Moorhead and downtown Saint Paul. U.S. 52 is signed on maps for this portion, but not along the actual highway.
- U.S. Highway 12 is invisibly concurrent with Interstates 94 and 394 through Minneapolis and Saint Paul to the Minnesota/Wisconsin state line at Hudson. U.S. 12 is signed on maps for this portion, but only briefly along the actual highway.
- Following the I-35W Bridge collapse on August 1, 2007, the detour for I-35W followed I-94 from I-35W to State Highway 280. I-94 was quickly widened by a lane in each direction for this portion to accommodate the additional traffic burden. This detour ended on September 18, 2008 when a new bridge replacing the collapsed span opened.
- 3 lanes in both directions from the North Dakota state line to U.S. 75 (Moorhead).
- 2 lanes in both directions from U.S. 75 to State Highway 101 (Rogers).
- 3 lanes in both directions from State Highway 101 to I-494 (Maple Grove).
- 4 lanes eastbound between I-494 and U.S. 169, 4 lanes westbound between Boone Avenue and Hemlock Lane (Maple Grove).
- 3 lanes each direction from Boone Avenue to Brooklyn Blvd.
- 4 lanes each direction between Brooklyn Blvd. to the I-94 split from I-694.
- 2 lanes each direction transitioning from I-694 mainline to I-94 mainline. (Brooklyn Center).
- 4 lanes in both directions from I-694 / State Highway 252 to Dowling Avenue (Minneapolis).
- 5 lanes (with the exception of 4 under Broadway bridge) in both directions from Dowling Avenue to I-394 / U.S. 12 / Lyndale/Hennepin Avenues.
- 3 lanes westbound, 2 lanes eastbound until Lowry Hill Tunnel.
- 3 lanes each direction from Lowry Hill tunnel to State Highway 280 (Saint Paul).
- 4 lanes (with the exception of 3 under Snelling Avenue bridge) each direction from State Highway 280 to I-35E.
- 3 lanes each direction from I-35E to Wisconsin border, with short segment of 5 lanes each direction between U.S. 10 / U.S. 61 and Mounds Blvd.
Interstate 94 in Minnesota was authorized as part of the original interstate network in 1956. It was mostly constructed in the 1960s.
I-94 follows the original route of old U.S. Highway 52 from Moorhead to St. Cloud, then I-94 stays south of the Mississippi River along the former route of old State Highway 152 between St. Cloud and the Twin Cities. I-94 then passes through both downtowns and exits toward Wisconsin along the former route of old U.S. Highway 12.
In 2004, a major traffic bottleneck was relieved when a third lane was constructed between Brooklyn Boulevard at Brooklyn Center and Hemlock Lane at Maple Grove. This is located immediately east of the I-494 / 694 / 94 interchange in Maple Grove, also known locally as the Fish Lake Interchange.
|Red River of the North||0.000||0.000||I‑94 / US 52||Continuation into North Dakota|
|Clay||Moorhead||0.577||0.929||1A||US 75 – Moorhead, Breckenridge|
|1.538||2.475||1B||20th Street||Eastbound exit and westbound entrance only|
|2.709||4.360||2||I-94 Bus. west (34th Street) / County 52 (Main Street Southeast)||Signed as exits 2A (Main Street Southeast) and 2B (34th Street) eastbound|
|Glyndon Township||6.075||9.777||6||MN 336 / County 11 – Detroit Lakes, Sabin, Dilworth, Glyndon|
|Elkton Township||15.239||24.525||15||County 10 – Sabin, Downer|
|22.700||36.532||22||MN 9 – Barnesville|
|Barnesville||24.542||39.497||24||MN 34 – Detroit Lakes, Barnesville|
|Wilkin||Prairie Township||32.500||52.304||32||MN 108 / County 30 – Pelican Rapids, Lawndale|
|Otter Tail||Fergus Falls Township||50.479–
|50||US 59 north / County 88 – Fergus Falls, Pelican Rapids, Detroit Lakes||North end of US 59 overlap|
|Fergus Falls||54.167||87.173||54||MN 210 west – Fergus Falls, Breckenridge||West end of MN 210 overlap|
|55.860||89.898||55||County 1 – Fergus Falls, Wendell|
|Buse Township||57.888||93.162||57||MN 210 east / County 25 – Fergus Falls||East end of MN 210 overlap|
|61.677||99.260||61||US 59 south / County 82 – Elbow Lake, Fergus Falls||South end of US 59 overlap|
|Tumuli Township||67.624||108.830||67||County 35 – Dalton|
|Grant||Pelican Lake Township||77.099||124.079||77||MN 78 north / County 10 – Ashby, Barrett|
|Douglas||Evansville Township||82.908||133.427||82||MN 79 west / County 41 – Evansville, Elbow Lake|
|Brandon Township||90.096||144.995||90||County 7 – Brandon|
|La Grand Township||97.415||156.774||97||MN 114 south / County 40 – Garfield, Lowry|
|Alexandria||100.685||162.037||100||MN 27 west / County 46 – Alexandria||West end of MN 27 overlap|
|103.037||165.822||103||MN 29 – Alexandria, Glenwood|
|Orange Township||114.361||184.046||114||MN 27 east / County 3 – Osakis, Westport||East end of MN 27 overlap|
|Todd||West Union Township||119.148||191.750||119||County 46 – West Union|
|Stearns||Sauk Centre Township||124.730||200.733||124||Sinclair Lewis Avenue (County 72)||Eastbound exit and westbound entrance only|
|Sauk Centre||127.179||204.675||127||US 71 / MN 28 – Sauk Centre, Willmar, Glenwood|
|Melrose Township||131.079||210.951||131||MN 4 south – Meire Grove, Paynesville|
|Melrose||134.974||217.220||135||County 13 – Melrose|
|Oak Township||137.864||221.871||137||MN 237 / County 65 – New Munich|
|Freeport||140.865||226.700||140||County 11 – Freeport|
|Albany||146.916||236.438||147||MN 238 / County 10 – Albany|
|Avon||153.313||246.733||153||County 9 – Avon|
|Avon Township||156.531||251.912||156||County 159 – St. John's University|
|St. Joseph Township||158.142||254.505||158||County 75 – St. Cloud||Eastbound exit and westbound entrance only|
|160.436||258.197||160||County 2 – St. Joseph, Cold Spring|
|164.514||264.760||164||MN 23 – St. Cloud, Waite Park, Paynesville|
|St. Cloud||167.137||268.981||167||MN 15 – St. Cloud, Kimball||Signed as exits 167A (south) and 167B (north)|
|171.223||275.557||171||County 7 / County 75 – St. Augusta, St. Cloud|
|173.674||279.501||173||Opportunity Drive (County 75)|
|Wright||Clearwater||178.953||287.997||178||MN 24 – Clearwater, Annandale|
|Silver Creek Township||184.131||296.330||183||County 8 – Hasty, Silver Creek|
|Monticello||194.075||312.333||193||MN 25 – Monticello, Buffalo|
|195.577||314.751||194||County 18 / County 39 – Monticello|
|Albertville||201.939||324.989||201||County 19 – Albertville, St. Michael||No eastbound entrance. Westbound exit via distributor ramp at exit 202.|
|202.693||326.203||202||County 37 – Albertville||Westbound exit is a distributor ramp for exits 202 and 201 and signed as 202&201.|
|St. Michael||205.679||331.008||205||MN 241 west / County 36 – St. Michael|
|Hennepin||Rogers||208.352||335.310||207||MN 101 / County 81 – Elk River, Rogers||Westbound exit signed as 207A (south CR 81 and north MN 101) and 207B (north MN 101 flyover ramp bypassing Diamond Lake Rd.). Eastbound exit signed as 207A&B.|
|Maple Grove||214.367||344.990||213||Maple Grove Parkway (County 30)|
|216.326||348.143||215||County 109 (Weaver Lake Road)|
|216||I-494 east / I-694 begins||West end of I-694 overlap|
|218.084||350.972||28||County 61 (Hemlock Lane)|
|Maple Grove–Brooklyn Park city line||219.603||353.417||29||US 169||Signed as exits 29A (south) and 29B (north)|
|Brooklyn Park||220.153||354.302||30||Boone Avenue|
|Brooklyn Center||223.103||359.049||33||County 152 (Brooklyn Boulevard)|
|224.258||360.908||34||To MN 100 / Shingle Creek Parkway|
|225||I-694 east / MN 252 north||East end of I-694 overlap|
|226||53rd Avenue North, 49th Avenue North|
|228.519||367.766||228||Dowling Avenue North|
|229||County 81 (West Broadway Avenue) / Washington Avenue North|
|231.350||372.322||230||MN 55 west (Olson Highway, 7th Street North) / 4th Street North||West end of MN 55 overlap|
|231A||I-394 west / US 12 west||Half of the possible connections are missing between I-94 and I-394;[a] west end of US 12 overlap|
|Lowry Hill Tunnel|
|232.862||374.755||231B||Lyndale Avenue, Hennepin Avenue (Virginia Triangle)||Westbound exit and eastbound entrance only|
|233.609||375.957||233B||MN 65 south to I-35W south||Eastbound exit and westbound entrance only|
|233.737||376.163||233A||11th Street (west), 5th Avenue South (east)||Westbound exit and eastbound entrance only|
|232.696||374.488||233C||I-35W north||Eastbound exit only|
|233.904||376.432||233B||I-35W south||Westbound exit and eastbound entrance only|
|234.473||377.348||234A||MN 55 east (Hiawatha Avenue)||East end of MN 55 overlap|
|234.473||377.348||234B||5th Street||Westbound exit and eastbound entrance only|
|234.730||377.761||234C||Cedar Avenue||Westbound exit and eastbound entrance only|
|235A||25th Avenue, Riverside Avenue|
|Dartmouth Bridge over the Mississippi River|
|Ramsey||Saint Paul||237.081||381.545||236||MN 280 / University Avenue, Pelham Boulevard|
|237.757||382.633||237||Cretin Avenue, Vandalia Street|
|239.065||384.738||238||MN 51 / Snelling Avenue|
|239.564||385.541||239A||Hamline Avenue||Westbound exit only|
|241.868||389.249||241A||Marion Street, Kellogg Boulevard – State Capitol|
|242.040||389.526||241B||10th Street, 5th Street||Eastbound exit and westbound entrance|
|242.045||389.534||242A||12th Street – State Capitol||Westbound exit and eastbound entrance only|
|241C||I-35E south||West end of I-35E overlap; westbound exit and eastbound entrance only|
|242B||I-35E north / US 10 west||East end of I-35E overlap; west end of US 10 overlap|
|243.067||391.178||242C||7th Street||Eastbound exit only|
|243.448||391.792||242D||US 52 south / 6th Street||East end of US 52 overlap|
|244.070||392.793||243||US 61 north (Mounds Boulevard) / Kellogg Boulevard||West end of US 61 overlap|
|245.566||395.200||244||US 10 south / US 61||East end of US 10 / US 61 overlap|
|246.370||396.494||245||White Bear Avenue|
|246.866||397.292||246A||Ruth Street||Eastbound exit and westbound entrance only|
|Saint Paul–Maplewood city line||247.370||398.103||246||McKnight Road||Signed as exits 246B (south) and 246C (north) eastbound and 247B westbound|
|Maplewood||248.328||399.645||247||MN 120 (Century Avenue)||Signed as exit 247A westbound|
|Washington||Woodbury–Oakdale city line||249.449–
|249||I-494 south / I-694 north|
|Woodbury–Lake Elmo city line||250.838||403.685||250||County 13 (Inwood Avenue, Radio Drive)|
|251.378||404.554||251||County 19 (Keats Avenue, Woodbury Drive)|
|253.377||407.771||253||MN 95 south / County 15 (Manning Avenue)||West end of MN 95 overlap|
|Lakeland||258.918||416.688||258||MN 95 north / County 18 – Stillwater||East end of MN 95 overlap|
|St. Croix River||259.663||417.887||I-94 / US 12||Continuation into Wisconsin|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- I-394 - Direct link between Minneapolis and western suburbs
- I-494 - Southern/western portion of beltway loop
- I-694 - Northern/eastern portion of beltway loop
- There is no access from I-94 to I-394 east, from I-394 west to I-94 east, nor access from I-394 east to I-94 west.
- Steve Riner Details of Routes 76 to 100. Unofficial Minnesota Highways Page. Accessed January 6, 2009.