This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (June 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Products||Sports betting, Online games, Online casino|
|Revenue||€ 700 million (2013)|
Number of employees
In 1997, Interwetten became the second company in the world, after Intertops, to also offer sports betting online. Therefore, the company can be seen as one of the pioneers in the branch of online entertainment. Today, the company is based in Malta.
The online entertainment platform www.interwetten.com is currently available in ten languages, and is visited by Interwetten customers in more than 200 countries around the world. The company is particularly well known in German-speaking countries and southern Europe for its sports betting offer. In 2012, Interwetten customers placed bets on more than 100,000 different sports events held in over 70 countries.
Interwetten was a founding member of the non-profit organisation European Gaming & Betting Association (EGBA). It is also a member of the European Sports Security Association (ESSA), which was established in 2005.
Interwetten Gaming Ltd. in Malta holds licences to operate sports betting, games, and a casino at www.interwetten.com.
On 1 June 2012, Interwetten Espana Plc. was officially licensed by Spanish regulatory authority DGOJ, and since then it has been online in Spain at www.interwetten.es with a sports betting and casino game portfolio.
Since December 2012, Interwetten Gaming Ltd. has been authorised to offer sports betting in Schleswig-Holstein. Authorisation for casino games was granted by the Ministry of the Interior of Schleswig-Holstein in January 2013.
Interwetten Gaming Ltd expanded into Africa for the first time in March 2020 by acquiring a Nigerian betting license from the National Lottery Regulatory Commission. To strengthen their visibility and gain further traction in the market, Interwetten recently signed the Nigerian footballer Yakubu Ayegbeni as their official Nigeria ambassador.
Interwetten was founded in September 1990 in Vienna, Austria. Between 1990 and 1997, the company exclusively offered sports betting, with customers placing their bets via telephone. In 1997, Interwetten took its business online, and, in 2004, a casino area was added to the product portfolio. In June 2006, Interwetten launched a Skill Games platform.
Interwetten has been offering sports betting since 1990. This betting offer has been available online at www.interwetten.com since 1997. Interwetten can be seen as one of the pioneers of the branch. Since the launch of the website, the company’s customer base has grown significantly year by year.
Customers have been able to visit Interwetten’s online casino since July 2004. The casino games, which are particularly popular among female customers, include classics such as Roulette and Blackjack. The Live Casino offer is also very popular among the casino’s visitors.
The skill games platform, featuring games that test the player’s skill and aptitude, was added to the company’s product portfolio in 2006. Among these products are also particular games such as "Schnapsen", which is not widely available as an online game.
In 2004, Interwetten led the way in making its betting offer available on mobile devices. The betting offer is optimised for Android mobile phones, the iPhone and iPad, and Windows Phones. Users can place their bets quickly and simply at interwetten.com. Customers have the opportunity to also place combination and system bets while on the move. Handy shortcuts make placing bets easy. The "Today" shortcut, for example, shows the user the betting programme over the next 24 hours. Alternatively, users can visit www.interwetten.com on their mobile end device to make the most of Interwetten’s live betting offer or simply place single or combination bets. Interwetten’s complete betting offer is available for mobile end devices.
Casino and Live Casino
Interwetten offers its customers access to the Online Casino in a format designed especially for tablets and smartphones. Therefore, users can enjoy hundreds of games and scratch cards no matter where they are. The Interwetten Live Casino, featuring Roulette, Black Jack, and Casino Hold’em, is also available for tablet users.
The company acts as a sponsor of various sports events and clubs as well as charities and social projects.
From 2008 until 2011, Interwetten was the chief club sponsor and shirt sponsor of RCD Espanyol Barcelona. Interwetten implemented a series of successful marketing measures during its cooperation with the traditional Catalan club.
Interwetten currently holds an international rights package for boarding advertising (LED & static boarding) for the Europa League, World Cup and European Championship qualification matches, and international friendlies.
Since 2006, Interwetten has sponsored the Interwetten Paddock Team and leading Moto2 rider Thomas Lüthi. In 2010, Hiroshi Aoyama of the Interwetten Honda MotoGP Team and Marcel Schrötter of the Interwetten 125cc Team participated in the Grand Prix motorcycle racing season.
Interwetten’s longest running cooperation in motorsport has been with Charouz Racing Team, formerly Interwetten Racing Team. For more than 10 years, Interwetten has been supporting the team, which competes in the World Series of Renault.
The mission of Interwetten Solidario – according to the company – is to stand by those who are in need of support. They want to "share their enthusiasm for sport with others". The main beneficiaries are athletes who are often relatively unknown to the public, yet still display enthusiasm and dedication in their specialist disciplines.
The idea for the project originated from a promotion organised with RCD Espanyol Barcelona. In 2008, Interwetten and the club set up a calendar project to support children with Down syndrome. The name “Solidario” was introduced, and it has been used ever since.
Away from the world of sport and the public limelight, Interwetten also supports charity organisations, such as St. Anna Kinderspital, Amnesty International and the annual Austrian fundraising event Licht ins Dunkel. Moreover, Interwetten has financially supported Austrian wheelchair basketball club Sitting Bulls since 2006.
Interwetten Solidario Projects
Below is a selection of further projects, which have been or are still being supported by Interwetten Solidario:
- St. Anna Kinderspital für Schmetterlingskinder (Austria)
- The Eden and Razzet Foundation - Inspire (Malta)
- RCDE Espanyol "Solidario" - calendar project to support children with Down syndrome. (Spain)
- Amnesty International
- Österreichischer Handball Bund Nachwuchs (Austria)
- Doctors Without Borders
- Licht ins Dunkel (Austria)
- Lions Club
- Caritas (Austria)
- Wiener Melange – Integrationsprojekt des Fußballclubs Post SV (Austria)
Since 2013 Interwetten has been supporting the Heartbeat Foundation, an Austrian non-profit organisation, which sees itself as a platform in the fight against sudden cardiac death in sport. The Heartbeat Foundation defines its goals as follows:
Heartbeat is striving to make sudden cardiac death in sport a thing of the past. Heartbeat loves sport and every athlete. Heartbeat calls for more awareness about the causes of sudden cardiac death, which has already claimed the lives of too many seemingly healthy men and women.— Heartbeat Foundation, Manifesto
The primary target of the Heartbeat Foundation is to equip as many non-privately owned sports venues as possible with automated external defibrillators (AED). They also want to ensure that the devices are routinely serviced and that athletes, trainers and first aiders are trained to use AEDs correctly. In Germany, around 60,000 people are victims of sudden cardiac death every year (15,000 in Austria). Treating a victim with an AED within three minutes increases the chances of survival by 70%.
The Heartbeat Foundation’s efforts have a global impact. The advisory council invests all donations in projects to support sports venues. These projects are initiated free of geographical or any other restrictions.
- "Interwetten quadruplicates net profits in spite of challenging business enviroment [sic]". Archived from the original on 3 March 2016. Retrieved 31 January 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Interwetten Review". Retrieved 2014-01-05.
- "Interwetten chooses BMIT for best-in-class service and support". Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- "Interwetten goes live in Spain". Archived from the original on 1 February 2014. Retrieved 10 January 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Interwetten - Terms and conditions". Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- H., Peter (Aug 4, 2020). "Yakubu Signs as Interwetten's Official Nigeria Ambassador".
- "Interwetten - Company Profile". Archived from the original on 3 February 2014. Retrieved 13 February 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "About Interwetten - Sponsoring overview". Retrieved 12 February 2014.
- "SC Untersiebenbrunn heißt in Zukunft SC InterWetten.com" [SC Untersiebenbrunn takes on the name of SC InterWetten.com] (in German). Retrieved 12 February 2014.
- "Interwetten wird neuer Hauptsponsor von RCD Espanyol Barcelona" [Interwetten to become new main sponsor of RCD Espanyol Barcelona] (in German). Retrieved 12 February 2014.
- "Sevilla FC win new shirt sponsor". SportsPro Media. 4 November 2011. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- "Sevilla signs Interwetten as shirt sponsor – again". SportsPro Media. 14 September 2012. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- "Offizielle Website des VfB Stuttgart 1893 e.V." Retrieved 12 February 2014.
- "Interwetten wird offizieller Lotus F1 Team Sponsor" [Interwetten is new official sponsor of the Lotus F1 team] (in German). Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- "Paddock GP Racing – Sponsors" (in German). Archived from the original on 1 February 2014. Retrieved 13 February 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Interwetten jetzt neuer Hauptsponsor von Philipp Öttl" [Philipp Öttl has found new main sponsor in Interwetten] (in German). Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- ""Interwetten" Sponsor des Kitzbühel-Tennisturniers" [Interwetten now sponsor of the Austrian Open Kitzbühel] (in German). Retrieved 12 February 2014.
- "Interwetten unterstützt die Heartbeat Foundation für mehr Herzsicherheit im Sport" [Interwetten supports the Heartbeat Foundation in its fight against sudden cardiac death in sport] (in German). Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- "Manifest der Heartbeat Foundation" [Manifesto of the Heartbeat Foundation] (in German). Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- "Heartbeat Foundation – Mission" (in German). Retrieved 14 February 2014.