Into the Light (David Coverdale album)
|Into the Light|
|Studio album by David Coverdale|
|Released||25 September 2000 (UK)|
|Genre||Hard rock, blues-rock|
|Producer||David Coverdale, Doug Bossi, John X. Volaitis, Michael McIntyre|
|David Coverdale chronology|
|Singles from Into the Light|
Into the Light is the third solo album by David Coverdale. It was released in September 2000.
In between 1978 and 1997, Coverdale and his band Whitesnake produced nine studio albums. After a three-year break, he returned with this most recent solo album since 1978's Northwinds (in reality, it is his last solo album since 1997's Restless Heart, which was a solo album released under the Whitesnake name by way of record company force). The album sneaked into the UK album chart at number 75.
In an interview with Classic Rock magazine in 2000, Coverdale stated: "The whole premise of my new record, Into The Light, is about coming out of what I felt was a dark period... I didn't really know who I was, using the illusion of David Coverdale I've created, or that other people have. I got tired of trying to live up to that, which is not necessarily who I am."
"Too Many Tears" was a new arrangement of the same song originally appearing on Coverdale's previous studio album, Whitesnake's Restless Heart. "Love Is Blind" was released as a single with an accompanying music video, but did not chart. "Slave" reached No. 33 on the US Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks chart.
Three additional songs were recorded for this album that did not make the final CD. Coverdale released these tracks on his official Whitesnake.com website.
A number of other titles, written by Coverdale, were published around the time, which have yet to be released. The titles include "Flesh And Blood (The Milf Song)", "Heart Of Stone", "Let’s Talk It Over", "Let’s Talk It Over (Reprise)", "Lust (Baby It’s For You)", "Yours For The Asking", and "With All Of My Heart".
- "...Into the Light" (David Coverdale) - 1:16
- "River Song" (Coverdale) - 7:19
- "She Give Me..." (Coverdale) - 4:12
- "Don't You Cry" (Coverdale) - 5:47
- "Love Is Blind" (Coverdale, Earl Slick) - 5:44
- "Slave" (Coverdale, Slick) - 4:51
- "Cry for Love" (Coverdale, Doug Bossi, Slick) - 4:52
- "Living on Love" (Coverdale, Bossi, Slick) - 6:31
- "Midnight Blue" (Coverdale, Slick) - 4:58
- "Too Many Tears" (Coverdale, Adrian Vandenberg) - 5:59
- "Don't Lie to Me" (Coverdale, Slick) - 4:43
- "Wherever You May Go" (Coverdale) - 3:59
Whitesnake.com Bonus Tracks
- "As Long as I Have You"
- "Oh No! Not the Blues Again"
- "All the Time in the World"
- David Coverdale - lead vocals, guitar on "...Into the Light" and "Cry for Love", producer
- Doug Bossi - guitar, slide guitar, background vocals, associate producer, engineer
- Earl Slick - guitar
- Reeves Gabrels - guitar solo on "She Give Me"
- Dylan Vaughan - guitar on "Don't You Cry"
- Marco Mendoza - bass, Spanish guitar on "Wherever You May Go", background vocals
- Tony Franklin - bass on "Don't You Cry"
- Denny Carmassi - drums
- Mike Finnigan - organ & piano
- Derek Hilland - keyboards on "...Into the Light" and "Living on Love"
- John X. Volaitis - keyboards and percussion on "She Give Me", keyboards and vocals on "Don't You Cry" and "Don't Lie to Me", keyboards on "Too Many Tears", harp on "Wherever You May Go", associate producer, mixing
- Bjorn Thorsrud - tambourine on "Don't You Cry", engineer
- James Sitterly - strings on "Love Is Blind"
- Ruy Folguera - string arrangement on "Love Is Blind"
- Jimmy Z - harmonica on "Cry for Love"
- Linda Rowberry - vocal duet on "Wherever You May Go"
- Michael McIntyre - associate producer, engineer
- Rich Veltrop - engineer
- Dylan Vaughan - mixing assistant engineer
- George Marino - mastering
|2000||Swedish Albums Chart||31|
|German Albums Chart||45|
|UK Albums Chart||46|
|Swiss Albums Top 100||84|
- Henderson, Alex. "David Coverdale - Into the Light review". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved 2015-06-09.
- "News, rumors and information: BIG interview with DC in next Classic Rock magazine!". Soldier of Fortune website. October 2000. Archived from the original on 6 October 2000. Retrieved 2015-06-09.
- "Into the Light Billboard Singles". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved 2015-06-09.
- "David Coverdale - extras". David Coverdale Official Website. Archived from the original on 11 October 2004. Retrieved 2015-06-09.
- "David Coverdale – Into the Light (album)". Swedishcharts.com. Media Control Charts. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- "Album – David Coverdale, Into the Light". Charts.de (in German). Media Control Charts. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- "David Coverdale Official Charts". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2015-06-10.
- "David Coverdale – Into the Light". Hitparade.ch (in German). Media Control Charts. Retrieved 10 June 2015.