Into the Moat
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2009)|
|Into the Moat|
|Origin||Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA|
|Labels||Lovelost Records, Metal Blade Records|
|Associated acts||All That's Left, Meridian Dawn|
|Members||Earl Ruwell IV
Nick "The Greek" Ziros
|Past members||Johannes "Hon-Hon" Naranjo
Into the Moat is an American mathcore band from Fort Lauderdale, Florida. It first achieved national acclaim when profiled in Alternative Press (AP) Magazine (November, 2003). The band has signed with Metal Blade Records, which released both their full-length albums, and has completed four national tours during 2004 and 2005.
The band got its start in 2001 as Matthew Gossman's one-man project. Gossman played guitar, bass, and drums on the first demo In January 2002 Johannes Naranjo (since departed) joined on bass while Wray moved to guitar.
Within a year, the group had recorded their debut EP, Means by Which the End is Justified. Engineered by Jeremy Staska at Studio 13, the album was "discovered" by Lovelost Records after a song on the group's website drew their interest. With only an informal agreement, Lovelost Records released the EP in May 2003. The EP and subsequent brief promotional tours for let the band to be signed by metal label Metal Blade, which released their first full-length album, The Design in March 2005, produced at Mana Recording Studios by Erik Rutan (Hate Eternal; Morbid Angel). Rob Shaffer retired from the band the same year. He is now a member of Dark Castle.
The Campaign, nearly four years in the making, was again produced and mixed by Erik Rutan at Mana Recording Studios, and mastered by Alan Douches, and was released in March 2009 to positive reviews.
- Johannes "Hon-Hon" Naranjo - bass
- Josh Thiel - bass (retired 2005)
- Rob Shaffer - guitar (retired 2005)
- Steve Walbroehl - guitar
- Jose Escobar - bass
- Travis LeVrier - guitar
- "2 Song Demo" (2002) (self-released)
- "3 Song Demo" (2003) (self-released)
- Means by Which the End Is Justified (Lovelost, 2003)
- The Design (Metal Blade, 2005)
- The Campaign (Metal Blade, 2009)
- Bowar, C (No. 29). "Into the Moat: The Design". Outburn p 81.
- Burgess, Aaron (V. 19 No. 200, March 2005). "100 Bands You Need To Know In 2005: Into the Moat". Alternative Press Magazine p 114.
- Burgess, Aaron (V.19 No. 202, May 2005). "Into the Moat". Alternative Press Magazine p 144.
- Dick, Chris (August 2005). "Into the Moat-Review". Metal Maniacs p 60.
- Fletcher, Andrew (No. 18, 2005). "Into the Moat". Explicitly Intense p 10.
- Glasper, Ian (No. 130, April 2005). "Into the Moat: The Design". Terrorizer p 76.
- "Low Profile"(feature auth not ident) (No. 184, Nov 2003). "6 More to Watch: Into the Moat". Alternative Press Magazine p 28.
- Mick, S (April–May 2005). "Into the Moat". AMP Magazine p 219.
- Szpirko, Andrew (No. 6, 2005). "Interview with Matt Gossman-Into the Moat". Violence Magazine pp 22–23.