Into the Sun (Sean Lennon album)
|Into the Sun|
|Studio album by Sean Lennon|
|Released||19 May 1998|
|Recorded||Sear Sound, New York|
|Genre||Alternative rock, experimental rock|
|Sean Lennon chronology|
Into the Sun is the debut album by Sean Lennon, released on May 19, 1998 on the Beastie Boys' label Grand Royal (distributed by Capitol Records, a division of EMI which had been the longtime home of Sean's father John Lennon).
It was released during his time performing with Cibo Matto along with girlfriend Yuka Honda, who also produced and performed on the album. The album was engineered and mixed by Tom Schick at Sear Sound. Sean has said it was "inspired by my girlfriend". Into the Sun peaked at #153 on the Billboard 200.
A voice on the final track, "Sean's Theme", which softly speaks "Goodnight, Sean", is sometimes mistakenly attributed to father John Lennon; however, it is, in fact, that of Walter Sear, an owner of Sear Sound. Sean has said it is in tribute to his father, whose tribute to Sean, "Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)" closes with "Goodnight, Sean. See you in the morning, bright and early."
|Pitchfork Media||(7.5/10) link|
All songs written by Sean Lennon, except where noted.
- "Mystery Juice"
- "Into the Sun"
- "Bathtub" (Lennon, Yuka Honda)
- "One Night"
- "Spaceship" (Lennon, Timo Ellis)
- "Queue" (Lennon, Honda)
- "Two Fine Lovers"
- "Part One of the Cowboy Trilogy"
- "Sean's Theme"
- "Intermission" (Japanese bonus track)
- "5/8" (Japanese bonus track)
- Sean Lennon - vocals, guitars, bass guitar, drums, keyboards, Omnichord, Jew's harp, harmonica, musical saw, percussion, mellotron
- Yuka Honda - sequencing, sampling, guitars, vibes, keyboards, drum machines, glockenspiel, mellotron, thumbtack piano, percussion, vocals
- Miho Hatori - vocals and percussion on "Into the Sun"
- Timo Ellis - drums on "Mystery Juice", "Home" and "Spaceship"; electric guitar, bass guitar and backing vocals on "Spaceship"
- John Medeski - Hammond C-3 on "Queue"
- Dave Douglas - trumpet on "Photosynthesis" and "Sean's Theme"; horn arrangement on "Sean's Theme"
- Josh Roseman - trombone on "Photosynthesis"
- Greg Ribot - flute on "Photosynthesis"
- EJ Rodriguez - Latin percussion on "Photosynthesis"
- Brad Jones - upright bass on "Photosynthesis"
- Kenny Wollesen - drums and shaker on "Photosynthesis"; drums, marimba and timpani on "Queue"
- Little Eric Wood - Intergalactic-Tape-Machine on "Spaceship"
- Chaki - cymbal on "Bathtub"
- Walter Sear - vocals on "Sean's Theme"
- Fred Kevorkian - digital editing
- Artwork by Sean Lennon
- Produced by Yuka Honda
- Engineered by Tom Schick
- Assisted by John Reigart and Chaki
- Production by Yuka Honda and Sean Lennon at the Tree House
- Recorded at Sear Sound except "Queue" (Magic Shop)
- Mastered at Gateway Mastering Studios by Bob Ludwig
- "CG: Sean Lennon". Robert Christgau. Retrieved 2011-11-12.