|Music by||Max Richter|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||10|
|Running time||33–58 minutes|
|Original network||Apple TV+|
|Original release||October 22, 2021 –|
Invasion is an American science fiction television series created by Simon Kinberg and David Weil. It premiered on Apple TV+ on October 22, 2021. The series has received a mixed critical response. In December 2021, the series was renewed for a second season.
An alien invasion is seen through the different perspectives of various people on different continents across the world.
- Golshifteh Farahani as Aneesha Malik
- Shamier Anderson as Trevante Cole
- Shioli Kutsuna as Mitsuki Yamato
- Firas Nassar as Ahmed "Manny" Malik
- Aziz Capkurt as Kuchi
- Billy Barratt as Caspar Morrow
- Azhy Robertson as Luke Malik
- Tara Moayedi as Sarah Malik
- Daisuke Tsuji as Kaito Kawaguchi
- Sam Neill as Sheriff Jim Bell Tyson
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date|
|1||"Last Day"||Jakob Verbruggen||Simon Kinberg & David Weil||October 22, 2021|
|2||"Crash"||Jakob Verbruggen||Simon Kinberg & David Weil||October 22, 2021|
|3||"Orion"||Jamie Payne||Simon Kinberg & David Weil||October 22, 2021|
|4||"The King Is Dead"||Jamie Payne||Simon Kinberg||October 29, 2021|
|5||"Going Home"||Amanda Marsalis||Simon Kinberg||November 5, 2021|
|6||"Home Invasion"||Amanda Marsalis||Andrew Baldwin||November 12, 2021|
|7||"Hope"||Amanda Marsalis||Story by : Simon Kinberg and David J. Rosen|
Teleplay by : Simon Kinberg & Andrew Baldwin
|November 19, 2021|
|8||"Contact"||Amanda Marsalis||Story by : Andrew Baldwin & Simon Kinberg and Gursimran Sandhu|
Teleplay by : Andrew Baldwin & Simon Kinberg
|November 25, 2021|
|9||"Full of Stars"||Jakob Verbruggen||Andrew Baldwin & Simon Kinberg||December 3, 2021|
|10||"First Day"||Jakob Verbruggen||Andrew Baldwin & Simon Kinberg||December 10, 2021|
Apple gave an order for ten episodes in January 2019 with Simon Kinberg and David Weil creating, writing, and executive producing the series, with Audrey Chon also executive producing. Deadline reported that Chad Feehan was briefly brought in as a showrunner "out of necessity", but soon departed the series in September 2019. When filming was announced to resume, Jakob Verbruggen was said to be director and executive producer of the series with Amy Kaufman, Andrew Baldwin, and Elisa Ellis also executive producing; however, further reporting stated that Amanda Marsalis had also directed some episodes of the series. Invasion is reported to have a $200 million budget. On December 8, 2021, Apple renewed the series for a second season.
Deadline revealed in August 2020 that Neill, Anderson, Farahani, Nassar, and Kutsuna were all to be part of the cast.
Filming was originally planned to commence in mid-2019 with Kinberg directing but was delayed due to his work on the feature film The 355. According to a report by Deadline, Invasion planned to film in New York, Manchester, Morocco, and Japan. "Portions of the series had been shot in New York and Morocco, and producers were prepping for the UK shoot when the coronavirus-related industry shutdown started in mid-March." In February 2021, filming occurred in Greenwich, one of the last filming locations for the series. Filming for the first season concluded on March 15.
The series premiered on October 22, 2021, with the release of its first three episodes; Season one concluded on December 10, 2021.
The review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes reported a 47% approval rating with an average rating of 5.4/10, based on 36 critic reviews. The website's critics consensus reads, "Invasion attempts a slow burn but inadvertently lets its tension completely fizzle out with leaden pacing that will leave viewers impatient for the alien apocalypse to finally arrive." Metacritic, which uses a weighted average, assigned a score of 51 out of 100 based on 15 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
Daniel Fienberg, writing for The Hollywood Reporter, said that "Invasion verges on 10 episodes of setup so pure and unfulfilling that a better title would be Evasion". He called the series, "amusing at first, then annoying, and finally, simply confusing", but praised Sam Neill's performance.
- Vlessing, Etan (April 13, 2021). "MIPTV: Canadian Producers Boat Rocker on Their IPO, Embracing Streamers and that 'Orphan Black' Spin-Off". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 13, 2021.
- "Apple TV+ releases a special preview of new and upcoming Apple Originals premiering in 2021". Apple TV+ (Press release). June 8, 2021. Retrieved June 8, 2021.
- Petski, Denise (June 9, 2021). "'Invasion': Apple Unveils Premiere Date & Teaser Trailer For Simon Kinberg & David Weil's Sci-Fi Drama". Deadline Hollywood.
- "AApple TV+ renews global hit series "Invasion" for season two". Apple TV+ (Press release). December 8, 2021. Retrieved February 22, 2022.
- Hersko, Tyler (June 9, 2021). "'Invasion' First Trailer: Sam Neill and..." IndieWire. Archived from the original on June 13, 2021. Retrieved August 25, 2021.
- Owen, Malcolm (January 19, 2019). "Apple green-lights 10-episode sci-fi series from Simon Kinberg and David Weil". AppleInsider. Retrieved March 24, 2021.
- Andreeva, Nellie (September 17, 2019). "Apple's Simon Kinberg/David Weil Series' Showrunner Chad Feehan Exits As Creators Step Up Involvement". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 24, 2021.
- Andreeva, Nellie (August 27, 2020). "Simon Kinberg & David Weil's Apple Series 'Invasion' Resumes Production With Cast Led By Sam Neill & Shamier Anderson". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 24, 2021.
- Low, Elaine (March 31, 2021). "DC Drama 'Naomi' Adds Barry Watson, Four Others to Cast". Variety. Retrieved March 31, 2021.
- Davids, Brian (April 22, 2021). "Why 'Stowaway' Star Shamier Anderson Goes to Extreme Lengths for His Roles". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 22, 2021.
- White, Peter (December 8, 2021). "'Invasion' Renewed For Season 2 At Apple". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 8, 2021.
- Bennett-Ness, Jamie (February 12, 2021). "Greenwich sites transformed into alien invasion for mysterious new TV show". News Shopper. Retrieved March 24, 2021.
- Shiori Kutsuna [@shiolokutsuna] (March 15, 2021). "and... that's a wrap! one year and five months since we first started in october 2019. the longest and one of the most challenging experiences I've ever had. shooting in four countries while dealing with covid was definitely not easy, but after many many discussions, adjustments and cooperation, we finally did it!!! #invasion" – via Instagram.
- "Invasion: Season 1". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved December 19, 2021.
- "Invasion: Season 1". Metacritic. Fandom, Inc. Retrieved December 4, 2021.
- Fienberg, Daniel (October 21, 2021). "Apple TV+'s 'Invasion': TV Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved October 24, 2021.