|Developer(s)||CERN and external contributors|
3.1.0 / 12 March 2019
|Operating system||Unix-like, macOS|
|Type||Institutional repository, Digital library/DA, Research Data Management, Integrated library system|
Invenio is an open source software framework for large-scale digital repositories that provides the tools for management of digital assets in an institutional repository and research data management systems. The software is typically used for open access repositories for scholarly and/or published digital content and as a digital library.
Invenio is initially developed by CERN with both individual and organisational external contributors and is freely available for download.
The service provider TIND Technologies, an official CERN spin-off based in Norway, offers Invenio via a software-as-a-service model.
Invenio is widely used outside of its original home within CERN, including SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, Fermilab, and the École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne. SPIRES migrated to Invenio in October 2011 with the INSPIRE-HEP site, a joint effort of CERN, DESY, SLAC and FNAL.
In 2014, the package was chosen to be the digital library software of all national universities in the western Africa regional economic community UEMOA which includes eight countries: Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Guinea-Bissau, Mali, Niger, Senegal, Togo.
The research data repository Zenodo at CERN is basically run under Invenio v3, wrapped by a small extra layer of code that is also called Zenodo. To simplify reuse of the Zenodo codebase, several institutions have joined in 2019 to distribute an institution-agnostic package under the name of InvenioRDM.
- "Release 3.1.0". 12 March 2019. Retrieved 13 March 2019.
- "News - CDS Invenio v0.90.0". Invenio software. CERN Document Server Software Consortium. 30 June 2006. Retrieved 12 August 2010 – via MS Git hub.
- "About Invenio". Invenio software. CERN Document Server Software Consortium. Retrieved 12 August 2010.
- "Features", Invenio software, retrieved 7 June 2018.
- "A spin-off company helps unlock the full potential of Invenio software", d Issue No. 45-46/2015 - Monday 2 November 2015, CERN Bulletin
- Enis, Matt (2017-06-01). "Academic Libraries Implement New ILS, IR Developed by CERN". Library Journal. Retrieved 2019-10-10.
- Rezendes Khirallah, Diane (24 May 2012). "Physicists, start your searches: Inspire database now online". Symmetry: Dimensions of Particle Physics.
- "A virtual library for 8 UEMOA countries under discussion in Dakar". UNESCO. 14 April 2014. Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- "Zenodo". Git hub. MS. 12 May 2021.
- "InvenioRDM: a turn-key open source research data management platform". Invenio software. 2019-04-29. Retrieved 2019-10-10.
- List of sites running Invenio
- Short description about some of the features of Invenio
- Service provider for Invenio support, installation, training, etc