|Genre||Punk rock, indie rock|
|Country of origin||U.S.|
Iodine Recordings was an independent record label based in Boston, Massachusetts, United States. Iodine Recordings released punk, hardcore, and indie rock music. It was once home to bands such as Brand New, Orange Island, Smoke or Fire (Jericho RVA), There Were Wires, Gregor Samsa, and more.
Iodine started as a record distribution company in 1996 formed by Casey Horrigan. Iodine later evolved into a record label with its first release in 2000, a compilation CD titled "Ghost in the Gears" featuring popular hardcore bands such as Converge, Cave In, Zegota, and Good Clean Fun. Reuben Bettsack (singer of The Nationale Blue) purchased half the label in 2001 becoming co-owner and vice president of the company. Iodine soon started signing local and national artists of all different genres, and developed into a well known label. Iodine also put on a very popular annual music festival in Boston called Iodine Fest which shocased many popular indie and hardcore acts. In 2003 Iodine had its biggest release year, a total of eight records. Facing financial hardships and lack of sales to support these new releases, Iodine had to announce its closing at the end of 2003.
Some Iodine bands moved on and had some great success. Brand New signed to Triple Crown Records/Interscope Records, Orange Island released two records on Triple Crown Records and Rise Records, Smoke or Fire signed to Fat Wreck Chords, Gregor Samsa has signed to Kora Records and has a new CD as well as a split LP with Red Sparowes on Robotic Empire, and There Were Wires went on to form new bands like Disappearer and Doomriders (Deathwish Inc.).
- Agent 84
- Aim of Conrad
- Blue/Green Heart
- Brand New
- Good Band Name
- Gregor Samsa
- The Moomaw Collective
- The Nationale Blue
- Orange Island
- Smoke or Fire (Jericho RVA)
- There Were Wires
- Various Artists - Ghost in the Gears CD (2000)
- Orange Island - The Shape of Calling CDEP (2001)
- Blue/Green Heart - Self Esteem Through Modern Science 7 inch (2001)
- Good Band Name - Let's Get Dreamfasted CDEP (2001)
- Orange Island - Everything You Thought You Knew CD (2002)
- Brand New - Your Favorite Weapon w/ Bonus Track LP (2002)
- Gregor Samsa - Untitled CDEP (2002)
- Various Artists - 2002 Label Sampler CD (2002)
- The Nationale Blue - A Different Kind of Listening CD (2002)
- There Were Wires - Self Titled CD (2003)
- Various Artists - A Mix CD with Love CD (2001)
- The Moomaw Collective - Kiss Me Red CD (2003)
- Gregor Samsa - 27:36 MCD (2003)
- Garrison - The Model CDEP (2003)
- Smoke or Fire (Jericho RVA) - Worker's Union CDEP (2003)
- There Were Wires - His Talk, Her Teeth 7 inch (2003)
- Aim of Conrad - Whiskey Slowboat MCD (2003)
- There Were Wires - Somnambulists MCD (2003)
- Various Artists - Gravity Rides Everything Multi Label Sampler CD (2003)
Records never released
The following records were recorded and produced, though were never released due to the reasons listed.
- Agent 84 - War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength LP (1998) - Not released due to band breaking up.
- American Nightmare/Hassan I Sabbah - Split 7 inch - Not released due to recording complications.
- Orange Island - Somnia Singles 7 inch (2002) - Not released due to lack of funds.
- Garrison/Orange Island - split CDEP (2002) - Eventually released on Lonesome Recordings
- Orange Island - The Tease CDEP (2003) - Not released due to Iodine's closing.
Shortly before Iodine's closing the label had planned to release new records by: The Faux, Smoke or Fire, Aim of Conrad, Eulcid, and The Nationale Blue. Iodine Recordings closed before these albums were recorded, and some of the artists recorded and released under a new record label.