Iohahi:io Akwesasne Adult Education Centre
|Motto||Akwesasne Adult Education|
|Type||Aboriginal-owned and controlled post-secondary institution.|
|Undergraduates||university, and continuing education students|
|Location||Cornwall Island (Kawehno:ke) Box 579 Cornwall, Ontario, Canada K6K 5T3|
|Campus||reserve Akwesasne Territory|
|Affiliations||Indian & Northern Affairs Canada, Mohawk Council of Akwesasne, Quebec Native Affairs, St. Lawrence College, Ontario|
Aboriginal institutes partner with colleges and universities to offer students degree programs, apprenticeships, certificate programs and diploma programs. IAAEC was founded to provide greater access to post-secondary education for Aboriginal peoples. IAAEC delivers post-secondary programs approved by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities. The educational curriculum was adapted to meet the needs of Aboriginal learners to ensure it reflects community needs, cultural heritage and identity. IAAEC is a strong advocate of lifelong learning - evident in its initiatives to raise Aboriginal student entry into post-secondary education through educational programs offered at the elementary and secondary level.
Since 1993, Iohahi:io Akwesasne Adult Education Centre has offered college and university programs through agreements with public colleges and universities such as St. Lawrence College.
In 2006, the Iohahi:io Akwesasne Adult Education Centre introduced masonry, carpentry, plumbing, and electrical trades training.
IAAEC Mohawk creation story murals and sculpture
In 2009-11 Tammy King, Natasha Thompson and Inez Cook Patterson, who were students in the two year Fine Arts Diploma course, painted a series of seven murals in the IAAEC entrance way telling the Mohawk Creation story, which is built around the central figure of Sky Woman. Sandra Taylor Hedges, an instructor of painting and drawing at IAAAEC, incorporated a sculpture of Sky Woman into the sky light above the murals in 2011.
The Iohahi:io Akwesasne Adult Education Centre mission is
- to offer programs and courses of study which promote individual and collective economic and social well-being
- to address issues and needs from an Aboriginal perspective.
- to serve as a centre of excellence for indigenous community- based learning.
- to enable learners to gain knowledge and skills needed to be self-sufficient, educated, and employable
Iohahi:io Akwesasne Adult Education Centre offers programs and courses of study in partnership with all levels of government; commissions; industries; commerce and other education and training institutions.
The Iohahi:io Akwesasne Adult Education Centre is a community-based agency providing adults with tutoring in Literacy and Basic Skills, in a culturally sensitive manner to increase their academic skills for entry into higher level of education and/or to obtain employment. The programs offered include:
- Academic related assessments.
- One-to-one tutoring
- Refresher workshops
- Online learning
- Essential skills and workforce literacy
- Career and/or college preparation sessions
- New computer training for adults with no computer experience
College diploma courses at Iohahi:io include:
- Trades - masonry, carpentry, plumbing, and electrical
- 2 year Fine Arts Diploma course
- Practical Nursing with Aboriginal Communities
- Police Foundations
- Office Administration
- Business Program
- Community Justice Services
- Social Services Worker
- Workshops & Seminars
Secondary School and Homework Support
- Homework Support Program
Scholarships & Bursaries
The Government of Canada sponsors an Aboriginal Bursaries Search Tool that lists over 680 scholarships, bursaries, and other incentives offered by governments, universities, and industry to support Aboriginal post-secondary participation.
- http://www.akwesasne.ca/news/ASPSP/ASPSPV1A12.html Iohahi:io Akwesasne Adult Education Centre trades
- http://cornwallfreenews.com/2011/11/local-artist-donates-sculpture-to-iohahiio-adult-education-center-november-19-2011/ IAAEC Mohawk Creation story murals and sculpture
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Iohahi:io Akwesasne Adult Education Centre.|