|Prime Minister of Moldova|
19 February 1999 – 12 November 1999
|Preceded by||Serafim Urechean (Acting)|
|Succeeded by||Dumitru Braghiș|
9 May 1960 |
Pîrjolteni, Soviet Union
|Political party||Alliance for Democracy and Reforms (1998–1999)|
|Alma mater||Moldova State University|
Ion Sturza (born 9 May 1960) is a Moldovan politician and businessman who served as Prime Minister of Moldova from 19 February to 12 November 1999. On 21 December 2015, President Nicolae Timofti nominated Ion Sturza to occupy the position of prime minister for a second time. However, Ion Sturza gave up the mandate, after the meeting in which his cabinet should receive the investiture vote was not held due to lack of quorum.
Education and early professional career
Before the fall of the USSR in 1991, Sturza worked for the country’s Exterior Commerce Company. In 1991, he founded the Incon Company, based in Chisinau, which soon became one of Moldova’s largest industrial groups, operating in the food and beverages industry. He worked as the president of “FinComBank” in Chisinau and, from 1996, as the chairman of the Bank’s Steering Board. Currently, Sturza is the founder and chairman of Fribourg Capital, a private equity and venture capital fund.
As Prime Minister of Moldova
Ion Sturza gained broad political experience as he was a prominent politician in Moldova. He was selected as a member of the Parliament in 1998, and he subsequently became the Vice Prime Minister and Minister of the Economy. He served as Prime Minister from February 19, 1999 to November 12, 1999.
Ion Sturza is involved in various civic activities, being an active member of several organizations and charities. Among others, he is the founder of the Family Sturza Foundation, which has a wide range of support programmes that include giving educational grants and scholarships, supporting orphanages, and sponsoring cultural events.
- "Republica Moldova: Ion Sturza, desemnat la funcţia de prim-ministru". Capital. 21 December 2015.
- Mihai Draghici (4 January 2016). "Criza politică de la Chişinău continuă. Ce s-a întâmplat în Parlament când premierul-desemnat a venit pentru votul de învestitură". Gândul.
- Omul care l-a făcut miliardar pe Patriciu, in Evenimentul Zilei, July 1, 2008
- As concerned Europeans we urge eurozone leaders to unite. in Financial Times Oct, 12, 2011. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7d85abd2-f353-11e0-b11b-00144feab49a.html#axzz2V9igldQZ
- "#PanamaPapers: Conexiunile offshore ale fostului premier Ion Sturza". RISE Moldova. April 4, 2016. Archived from the original on April 16, 2016.
- "RISE Moldova: Legătura dintre Ion Sturza, Panama Papers și companiile offshore". Agora. April 4, 2016.
- "Rise.md: #PanamaPapers. Conexiunile offshore ale lui Ion Sturza. Proiectul de investigatie globala il are in vizor si pe fostul premier". Pro TV Chișinău. April 4, 2016.
- "RISE Moldova: [#PanamaPapers] Conexiunile offshore ale fostului premier Ion Sturza". HotNews.ro. April 4, 2016.
|Minister of Economy
|Prime Minister of Moldova
|This Moldovan biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|